What Outfielders can be obtained without sacrificing a very high draft pick?

weams

I'd love Yelich or Pederson or Grichuk, Bradley, Piscotty buy they're all costing Gausman as a start and it doesn't end there. Other guys like Puig, Choo, and Kemp should be avoided.

I don't fully get why Choo's contract is commonly thought to be such a disaster. Sure, he will appear to look completely done for prolonged periods, but seems to bounce back. He hit .096 in April but ended up with his usual .276/.375/.838, 3.5 WAR. $14M for that seems completely reasonable. He will be costing more and getting older, but I could easily imagine a few more productive years.

Would the Dodgers have interest in Britton for Pederson?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love Yelich or Pederson or Grichuk, Bradley, Piscotty buy they're all costing Gausman as a start and it doesn't end there. Other guys like Puig, Choo, and Kemp should be avoided.

I agree, teams are going to want Gausman. Its our biggest trade chip outside of Machado who (I hope) we never try and trade away. I would love to have Yelich but I do not see the Marlins trading him cheap. He's young, and they signed him this year to a 7 year deal 49 mil. I'd rather lose a draft pick and sign a Gordon then trade away Gausman to obtain a Puig or a Soler.

I don't fully get why Choo's contract is commonly thought to be such a disaster. Sure, he will appear to look completely done for prolonged periods, but seems to bounce back. He hit .096 in April but ended up with his usual .276/.375/.838, 3.5 WAR. $14M for that seems completely reasonable. He will be costing more and getting older, but I could easily imagine a few more productive years.

Would the Dodgers have interest in Britton for Pederson?

He has 5/102 left on his contract.

Lots of ways to make trades work. I don't think Gausman is a pre-requisite for any of those guys EXCEPT to the extent the other teams have better options via trade already available (which is likely for some).

Given our farm system and the lack of highly regarded prospects then I think Gausman is a pre-requisite. We certainly agree that other clubs have more to offer and considering Gausman is very unlikely to be traded I think it's safe to leave any discussions for guys like those listed behind in wistful wishing and fantasy baseball.

Given our farm system and the lack of highly regarded prospects then I think Gausman is a pre-requisite. We certainly agree that other clubs have more to offer and considering Gausman is very unlikely to be traded I think it's safe to leave any discussions for guys like those listed behind in wistful wishing and fantasy baseball.

Let me rephrase. I know for a fact that Gausman is not a prerequisite for a number of those guys. That doesn't make a trade likely, but to pretend like any discussion of a trade is "fantasy baseball" is small thinking.

Aoki would be a good fit. A lot of people are overlooking him because the Giants, a well respected organization, didn't pick up his 5.5mm option for 2016. But they said they wanted flexibility. Probably to explore the possibility of one of the big time FA bats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aokino01.shtml

The guy has been the definition of consistency with the bat. Literally his averages and OBP are almost identical over his 4 MLB seasons. He walks more than he K's. He steals bases. DD is talking about getting someone with a good OBP, this guy has a career .350 OBP. He missed games last year with a concussion and a fibula problem. The giants didn't mention those injuries when they decided not to keep him. He's had negative dWAR's but he's also played in some pretty spacious OF's in KC and SF.

Give the guy 1/5 or 2/10 and let him leadoff and play him in LF.

I think people formed an impression when he posted a .714 OPS last year, and then noticed his poor April but tuned out and didn't really notice that he ended up having a solid year in 2015. That said, the "cheap" part of his contract ($14 mm/yr in 2014-15) is over now, and at ages 33-37 they're going to be paying an average of $20.4 mm/yr. That's not a great bet.

Let me rephrase. I know for a fact that Gausman is not a prerequisite for a number of those guys. That doesn't make a trade likely, but to pretend like any discussion of a trade is "fantasy baseball" is small thinking.

Theoretically who in the Orioles system would grab Yelich?

Givens? No

Mancini? No

Givens and Mancini? Still no

I haven't heard any talk of interest in Cespedes. If his value drops to the level of Gordon's I'd rather sign him and keep the pick.

I get the impression that he's the most undervalued of the free agent OFers.

The Mets became legit contenders when they acquired him, and since he got hurt - they totally lost interest in him. It seems like teams don't understand the kind of impact he can make. Maybe it's his perceived personality, but just from watching them - I'd rather have his personality on the team than Justin Upton's.

Archived