What Outfielders can be obtained without sacrificing a very high draft pick?

weams

Aoki would be a good fit. A lot of people are overlooking him because the Giants, a well respected organization, didn't pick up his 5.5mm option for 2016. But they said they wanted flexibility. Probably to explore the possibility of one of the big time FA bats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aokino01.shtml

The guy has been the definition of consistency with the bat. Literally his averages and OBP are almost identical over his 4 MLB seasons. He walks more than he K's. He steals bases. DD is talking about getting someone with a good OBP, this guy has a career .350 OBP. He missed games last year with a concussion and a fibula problem. The giants didn't mention those injuries when they decided not to keep him. He's had negative dWAR's but he's also played in some pretty spacious OF's in KC and SF.

Give the guy 1/5 or 2/10 and let him leadoff and play him in LF.

Aoki is looking like a good deal. Especially, if we alocate a lot of payroll to Davis.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, teams are going to want Gausman. Its our biggest trade chip outside of Machado who (I hope) we never try and trade away. I would love to have Yelich but I do not see the Marlins trading him cheap. He's young, and they signed him this year to a 7 year deal 49 mil. I'd rather lose a draft pick and sign a Gordon then trade away Gausman to obtain a Puig or a Soler.

Wow, you're pretty down on a guy who was a top 15 prospect in the game just a year ago. If he can keep the lift in his swing that he had in the playoffs, he's going to be a monster this year.

If we want to win the AL East we need Davis, O'day and Gallardo. That's what it's going to take.

I would rather have Davis and Kazmir, Leake, or Cueto, any of whom should be within O'Day money of Gallardo. But I expect something more like Alvarez and Gallardo.

I don't think Gallardo, Ubaldo, Tillman, Gausman, and Gonzo is a winning rotation. More like a .500 rotation, which we were last year with Chen.

The Orioles avoided arbitration with Nolan Reimold, signing him to a one-year, $1.3 million contract.

That wasn’t necessarily a popular move with some fans, who have made the gentle Reimold into a polarizing figure in Baltimore.

Last year, Reimold completed a relatively healthy season, playing in a combined 115 games in Norfolk and with the Orioles, his most since 2011.

The Orioles don’t view him as a regular, but he had a .344 on-base percentage in 61 games, trailing only Chris Davis and Manny Machado.

Reimold has a good batting eye and while he’s not the power threat he was before his neck injuries, he still hit six homers. He’s a usefuL player.

The Orioles desperately need left-handed hitting, and if Chris Davis signs elsewhere, the need grows more desperate.

As a result, it’s likely that we’ve seen the last of Steve Pearce, at least for now.

Pearce does some things that Reimold doesn’t. He can fill in at first base, and hit 21 home runs in 2014, but there are some similarities.

Both have had injury-marred careers, both have worked diligently to return, and both play left field. And, they hit right-handed. They’re also the same age, 32.

But, Pearce fall back to a .218 average in 92 games. After making $3.7 million in his final year of arbitration eligibility, Pearce wanted his first multi-year contract. He may not get it.

Not only do the Orioles have Reimold as a right-handed hitting option in the outfield, they also have the recently re-acquired L.J. Hoes and Dariel Alvarez to serve as backups, too. Pearce would make four.

If Pearce doesn’t find a taker... then it’s not beyond the realm of conception that he’s a late signee. Pearce is very popular with his teammates and with manager Buck Showalter.

He’s just not worth that much more than Reimold.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/blog/orioles-talk/reimold-vs-pearce-choice-was-easy

Dubroff

Archived