Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I appreciate what O'Day has done. Signing him is the wrong move. BTW, he was lucky not to give up a homer to Ellsbury in the 8th on a hanging slider. We need to go as cheap as possible in the bullpen where we have tons of cheap options (Givens, Drake, Roe, Rondon, etc.).

It will take 3/21 to sign him. Maybe more.

Cheap does not always give you quality and get the job done, either.

I don't advocate over paying, either.

It worked with O'Day three years ago. There's plenty of cheap available relief help if you know what you're looking for (Chaz Roe?).

Where DD screwed up was not not trading DoD at the deadline. Going for it this year was the stupidest thing I think he could have done.

It worked with O'Day three years ago. There's plenty of cheap available relief help if you know what you're looking for (Chaz Roe?).

Where DD screwed up was not not trading DoD at the deadline. Going for it this year was the stupidest thing I think he could have done.

Sure, it worked, but for every reliever it does work, there are 5-10 that doesn't work out.

Going for it, was not the stupidest thing, they were still in it, at the time, of course, hindsight is always 20-20.

Relief pitching is the one area where a team like the O's has to be frugal, because you can almost ALWAYS find good cheap relievers. As consistently outstanding as O'Day has been, we pretty much need to let him go. Personally, I'd love to see the O's use Mike Wright in the pen. He's been able to hit mid 90's as a starter, so it wouldn't ge surprising if he hits high 90's as a reliever. As a starter, he's a borderline 5th man.

He didn't even go for it. He just half assed it.

Sure, it worked, but for every reliever it does work, there are 5-10 that doesn't work out.

Going for it, was not the stupidest thing, they were still in it, at the time, of course, hindsight is always 20-20.

I don't think this was a case of hindsight; most people on this board weren't simply viewing the O's record in July in a vacuum thinking "hey we're in this; buy now!" Everybody knew about our impending free agents which included Wieters, Chen, O'Day, Davis, and Hunter. More concern should have been given by the front office for the future of this club to say "who do we have to replace these players and what value do we have that we can bargain for". It wasn't simply about being five games over .500 and looking towards the World Series.

It seems like Dan Duquette was the only person who didn't know we didn't have the pitching for a playoff run. At any given time two of the five starters were garbage and the offense was narcoleptic.

LOL,

I love O'Day, and I won't deny it.

I would love to see them work out the numbers where they can keep him.

I don't want to pay him Miller or Papelpon numbers however.

I like O'Day, but I don't think his next 3 years will be as good as his last 3, despite the fact that his salary will basically double. We don't have the payroll to give him what it will take.

I don't think this was a case of hindsight; most people on this board weren't simply viewing the O's record in July in a vacuum thinking "hey we're in this; buy now!" Everybody knew about our impending free agents which included Wieters, Chen, O'Day, Davis, and Hunter. More concern should have been given by the front office for the future of this club to say "who do we have to replace these players and what value do we have that we can bargain for". It wasn't simply about being five games over .500 and looking towards the World Series.

It seems like Dan Duquette was the only person who didn't know we didn't have the pitching for a playoff run. At any given time two of the five starters were garbage and the offense was narcoleptic,

Yes, I know, the vocal majority on this board as long been in favor of tanking the season and having a fire sell.

I am not convinced that they could have got quality pieces, to call me living in a vacuum them.

Yes, I know, the vocal majority on this board as long been in favor of tanking the season and having a fire sell.

I am not convinced that they could have got quality pieces, to call me living in a vacuum them.

You should be convinced that we have three Boras clients approaching free agency plus Junior Lake instead. Even if we traded for small pieces that never panned out, those three players will still be available for us in free agency to bid on next season in the same capacity.

Archived