Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That he had him signed for one more season and it's not a good idea to tie up money and years in 33 year old relievers?

He's a consistently outstanding performer who should have been signed at a cheaper price last off season. Now he will be harder to afford.

I simply don't trust DD to replace him.

Closing is easy for the guy. He's used to coming in with men on base and working out of jams. The guy is a machine. I don't think these "saves" are helping is market value too much, because people thought he could probably close. No he's just changing that "probably". Offer the guy 3/24 and be done with it.

That would be awful. I'm not surprised that O'Day has had a good streak. He doesn't have too many bad games. It's just funny to see posters up his price just because of a few saves.

I think that was going to be his price before the saves, though. Less than Andrew Miller but not by much.

That would be awful. I'm not surprised that O'Day has had a good streak. He doesn't have too many bad games. It's just funny to see posters up his price just because of a few saves.

I've thought that was his price all season. I'm all for giving O'day that and trading Britton. My thinking is that DD is great at building and pen and rotating guys through the season. So we shouldn't sink money into the pen. Britton is our best bet at trading for an everyday OF'er or SP. Britton is already getting expensive in arb. At least we'll know a set amount our "closer" is going to make.

Darren O'Day by pWAR, 2009-2015

2009 - 2.4

2010 - 2.3

2011 - 0.0 (hurt)

2012 - 2.5 (first year in Baltimore)

2013 - 2.0

2014 - 2.3

2015 - 2.4 (and counting)

---------

career - 13.9

That's very good for a reliever. He has about half the career of Kent Tekulve, in less than half the time.

Maybe this is coincidence, SSS oddity or whatever, but Bradford, Frohwirth, Dan Quisenberry, Dick Hall, Kent Tekulve, Steve Reed... the first handful of sidearmers/submariners I thought of, they all went from steady-state reliable relievers to out of the league in a very short period. Like one bad year and they're done, mostly. If I had to guess that's because the minute they lose their whatever it is that allows a weird delivery to succeed they're just a guy throwing a 78-mph fastball.
I checked on Tekulve. He pitching a lot of innings and seemed to be pretty effective for a very long time. Probably right on the others though.

No guarantee of anything moving forward; he could very well take a dive like Bradford. It's worth pointing out several of us have invoked Tekulve's name.

Quisenberry had three good seasons out of four, ages 33-36. Dick Hall ages 33-36 had a 129 ERA+ and a 0.993 WHIP. Steve Reed was good through age 39.

Frohwirth doesn't measure up to any of these other pitchers. He only had two really good seasons, maybe three if you count '89.

Most people buy tickets because they kind of like baseball and they think the O's have a good chance of winning. The next highest category may be those who showed up because someone's employer has tickets that found their way into their hands. If you kept everything else the same and replaced Darren O'Day with a random other pitcher attendance would be unaffected. Or, more precisely, the affect would be so deeply buried in the noise that you couldn't tell it was there.
As I've said before --- what do I know? I'm only a paying customer.

Just curious: how do you know why people are buying tickets?

Jim_Johnson_on_July_29,_2009.jpg

We loved Jim Johnson. Until we didn't. HE had a cool song too.

Fans didn't like Jim Johnson at the end. Because they could see that his sinker wasn't sinking very well.

The original question was: would fans go to baseball games to see a particular reliever? I cited O'Day's song as evidence that fans (at least this fan) went to games to see O'Day if/when he was needed.

Archived