2016 Lineups: With or without Chris Davis

srock

Can't, not with the team as currently constructed.

Jimmy looked promising against RHP last year, OPSing .740 with 10 HR. At his price, he will have every opportunity to stick with the club. I hope his trial in LF works out.

Yeah, but that was about .800 in May-June and about .450 in July, August, and September. He looked completely lost over the entire second half. It was a good experiment but I think it ran its course.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impossible to look at the current 25 man roster and expect Buck to not go insane. Obviously they will be getting some lefty bats somewhere.

If they lose out on Davis, I think they go hard after Span or Fowler. If they miss out there (or even if they sign one) I think they go after one of: David Murphy, Matt Joyce, Will Venable, or back to Parra or De Aza. All of those players other than Parra (28) are over 31.

The lineup on my Christmas list is:

LF Fowler (S)

3B Machado ®

1B Davis (L)

CF Jones ®

C Wieters (S)

2B Schoop ®

DH Trumbo/Parades (platoon)

RF Parra/Reimold (platoon)

SS Hardy ®

Yeah, but that was about .800 in May-June and about .450 in July, August, and September. He looked completely lost over the entire second half. It was a good experiment but I think it ran its course.

If they want to replace Paredes they need at least two left handed bats. Denard Span makes a lot of sense, a lot of sense for this team. Here's a possible Davis-less lineup that doesn't lose the team their 1st round pick:

RF Span (L) / Reimold ®

3B Machado ®

DH Jaso (L) / Trumbo ®

CF Jones ®

1B Alvarez (L) / Trumbo ®

C Wieters (S)

2B Schoop ®

LF Murphy (L) / Reimold-Trumbo ®

SS Hardy ®

It's possible that all four of Span, Jaso, Murphy and Alvarez cost little more than Davis by himself.

If we are talking Christmas list, I'm asking Santa for Davis, Span, O'Day, Chen, and Gallardo.

Tillman

Jimenez

Chen

Gallardo

Gonzalez

And depth behind them.

Yeah it's expensive in 2016 but the long term money is there to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would add Span and Morneau, both together will cost less than Davis with maybe enough left to take a flyer on Hyeon-soo Kim. Trumbo DH's and can move to 1st if/when Morneau gets hurt.

vs LHP

Span

Reimold

Machado

Jones

Wieters

Trumbo

Morneau

Schoop

Hardy

vs RHP

Span

Kim

Machado

Morneau

Jones

Trumbo

Wieters

Schoop

Hardy

He's worth a shot, put up decent numbers the last few years in Colorado, when he wasn't hurt. Won't cost much, and still rakes pretty well vs RHP.
With Trumbo who plays a decent 1B don't see the need for Morneau. Alvarez would be a better, cheaper LH bat IMO. But I think we'll sign CD.

With Trumbo who plays a decent 1B don't see the need for Morneau. Alvarez would be a better, cheaper LH bat IMO. But I think we'll sign CD.

How will we sign Davis? We are not going to outbid other teams. We are not going to offer $150MM for him. A few teams will make a hard push for him. Teams like STL that ranked towards the bottom in the league in offense.

I think the Orioles will only go as far as to offer a 5/85 deal...which again, they can say that they made an offer.... but we know its a joke.

How will we sign Davis? We are not going to outbid other teams. We are not going to offer $150MM for him. A few teams will make a hard push for him. Teams like STL that ranked towards the bottom in the league in offense.

I think the Orioles will only go as far as to offer a 5/85 deal...which again, they can say that they made an offer.... but we know its a joke.

I think they'll offer up to $100mil but you're right they're not getting into a bidding war. Thank goodness.

I really don't believe the FO and DD blatantly lie to the fan base. They have clearly indicate after the Wieters QO acceptance that they have the resources to sign a SP and CD. They have floated the figure of 7/140 M. PA has become personally involved. He does this for certain players. It's not rational, but remember Melmo? BRob? So tell me, what team is going to spend that much for Davis? I don't see one. I think the biggest problem is to avoid bidding against our selves.

I would be more comfortable with Trumbo as DH/ filling in in the field on occasion than Alvarez. DD has spoken about improving obp on several occasions, he eventually is going to have to prove that he is serious. Morneau doesn't have the power any longer that Alvarez possesses, but is a better all around hitter and won't kill you vs lefties. I think just about everyone in the lineup is capable of double digit HR totals, what we need is more people on base when they happen. as far as being cheaper, they should be fairly close. CD we be good also!

I really don't believe the FO and DD blatantly lie to the fan base. They have clearly indicate after the Wieters QO acceptance that they have the resources to sign a SP and CD. They have floated the figure of 7/140 M. PA has become personally involved. He does this for certain players. It's not rational, but remember Melmo? BRob? So tell me, what team is going to spend that much for Davis? I don't see one. I think the biggest problem is to avoid bidding against our selves.

When you ask who, I think its hard to say who. However, Arizona just spent 200m on Grienke. There is a lot of money in teams that we don't normally think of as big spenders. So now the Dodgers get the next guy down the chain. At some point it looks like there will be more money than players and Davis could get an offer we don't see right now.

That's why it feels like the O's, Indians and A's will be fighting over Pedro Alvarez.

When you ask who, I think its hard to say who. However, Arizona just spent 200m on Grienke. There is a lot of money in teams that we don't normally think of as big spenders. So now the Dodgers get the next guy down the chain. At some point it looks like there will be more money than players and Davis could get an offer we don't see right now.

That's why it feels like the O's, Indians and A's will be fighting over Pedro Alvarez.

We don't see them because they don't exist, except as Boras mysteries. Name the team that needs a 1B and has money to spend? And don't tell me CD is a COF. You don't spend that kind of money on a faux OF.

Archived