Adding pitching. How much are you willing to spend?

AdamK

It being FA and prices being what they are... . . .

If Dan adds a pitcher who will be a mid-rotation guy to the 2016 rotation, how much money are you comfortable with him spending?

Let's say the deal is for 3 years, and they'll make a start within the first week of games.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on who but... 16. 3/50.

Crazy market. See if DD and more importantly PA steps up.

Maybe it would help to suggest "at least 3 years" too since that is specific.

I'd say you're close. Obviously I don't know but for something in this range - if procured at retail - would cost at least that much, right?

Maybe it would help to suggest "at least 3 years" too since that is specific.

I'd say you're close. Obviously I don't know but for something in this range - if procured at retail - would cost at least that much, right?

Personally I'm all about the years on pretty much every deal. I made a crazy DDPA-minded offer. 3 years is all I'd want DOD for. Period. 4 maybe for a starter.

Not an ace but we need a difference maker. Trumbo patronizes the offense enough that a GOOD starter is the #1 priority now. Sorry to see you go DOD but...

Once more for old time's sake.

The_Pentagon_January_2008.jpg

Seems like the only way we're going to get a difference making SP is to grow one. We're not gonna pay for one, and won't/can't trade for one. I see us having 2-3 middle of the rotation guys and a couple back of the rotation guys for the foreseeable future. And then hope one of them becomes a pleasant surprise.

Seems like the only way we're going to get a difference making SP is to grow one. We're not gonna pay for one, and won't/can't trade for one. I see us having 2-3 middle of the rotation guys and a couple back of the rotation guys for the foreseeable future. And then hope one of them becomes a pleasant surprise.

Grow the aces! The marginal gain between Chen and Price is not enough to warrant the massive difference in salary and long term commitment.

$14-$18 AAV 2-4 year deals. I'll take two Chen's at those terms over one Price at his deal.

Might give a 5th year with an opt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say what I'd be willing to spend on a pitcher without knowing the overall payroll budget. I think we need a pitcher of about Chen's quality to have a good chance of competing, so I'm willing to spend $15-16 mm/yr but not if it means we can't upgrade the offense at the same time.

I can't say what I'd be willing to spend on a pitcher without knowing the overall payroll budget. I think we need a pitcher of about Chen's quality to have a good chance of competing, so I'm willing to spend $15-16 mm/yr but not if it means we can't upgrade the offense at the same time.

This is reasonable. Kazmir at 15-16 would be a guy that I would look at. I really think that the Zimmerman deal is gonna look like a bargain at the end of this offseason.

I also don't think we need to sign Davis to improve the offense either.

I think its going to be hard to get SP as good as Chen or better in our price range.

I would cross Leake and Kazmir off the board. Seems like they are drawing the attention of a handful of teams.

I think we sign Fister to a 2 year deal with option. It's not pretty but it fits our type of FA signing.

I think its going to be hard to get SP as good as Chen or better in our price range.

I would cross Leake and Kazmir off the board. Seems like they are drawing the attention of a handful of teams.

I think we sign Fister to a 2 year deal with option. It's not pretty but it fits our type of FA signing.

Is it a reasonable expectation that a Chris Young could possibly bring you something similar to what Chen brought you at a much cheaper price tag which would allow you to improve elsewhere? He had a really good under the radar year. Not my preference in adding a starter but wouldn't be the worst guy to get on a short relatively cheaper deal.

Drafting and growing legit #1 starters is probably the most difficult thing to ask of scouting and development team. I think that the number of "can't miss prospects" that end up filling back of the rotation or bullpen spots is an example with the luck involved with pitchers. The Orioles had an ace in Arrieta it seems, but if every team in baseball knew that Jake was going to be exceptional the O's would have got more for him.

The salaries given to real aces are crazy, but the amount given to second and third deal pitchers is laughable. $18M a year is what a guy with an ERA over 4 and some upside is commanding. I thought that Chen would get a 4/64 or 5/72 type deal before, but if I am his agent I am 6/100 in this market. The pitching salaries are just out of control and I do not blame the Orioles on passing on guys who are getting $25M plus a year. Things are just ridiculous. Manny Machado is going to get a ship ton of money. Hell, if he started pitching right now he would get $10 million a season in a backend of the rotation roll! Lol

Archived