Let me see if I understand our strategy correctly....

DocJJ

In what sense are the Os good at drafting position players? And how is Matusz the best pitcher they drafted in last 20 years? Did you forget what you were saying as you were saying it?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Markakis-Good pick

Roberts-Great pick

Wieters-Good pick

Machado-Jackpot

The last 15 years or so the O's have had like a 50 percent chance on striking it big time on position players.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would have been nice if Jake was an the Orioles when he did that so we could make the playoffs and possibly win the WS.

But he sucked on this team. So what he did on the Cubs had no value to the Orioles.

But you stated, clearly, that Matusz is the best pitcher the Orioles have drafted in the last twenty years.

That is demonstrably false.

Markakis-Good pick

Roberts-Great pick

Wieters-Good pick

Machado-Jackpot

The last 15 years or so the O's have had like a 50 percent chance on striking it big time on position players.

Your standards are way too high when compared to the realities of the draft.

Markakis was a great pick, Wieters was a great pick.

Anytime you can get 6+ years at the major league level out of a pick you are doing pretty darn good.

But you stated, clearly, that Matusz is the best pitcher the Orioles have drafted in the last twenty years.

That is demonstrably false.

Ok true. I thought there was an understanding though among O's fans that he sucked on the O's. And that what he did on the Cubs is good for him and good for the Cubs. Not good for the Orioles. Which is what matters because that's what we're doing here on Orioles hangout. It's all about the Orioles.

It had no value for the O's though. Matusz is probably the most effective and valuable the pitcher the O's have drafted since Mussina. Though Britton will surely surpass him soon.

Would have been nice if Jake was on the Orioles when he did that so we could make the playoffs and possibly win the WS.

But he sucked on this team. So what he did on the Cubs had no value to the Orioles.

And Matusz posting the worst year by a starter ever makes him the best pitcher the Os have drafted?

Your standards are way too high when compared to the realities of the draft.

Markakis was a great pick, Wieters was a great pick.

Anytime you can get 6+ years at the major league level out of a pick you are doing pretty darn good.

Fine. That just reinforces that maybe the O's brass should stick to what they're good at. And that is drafting and developing hitters.

Markakis-Good pick

Roberts-Great pick

Wieters-Good pick

Machado-Jackpot

Thats not even remotely close to the definition of good. You are really grasping at straws.

And Matusz posting the worst year by a starter ever makes him the best pitcher the Os have drafted?

He was actually good in 2010. We drafted and developed him and he turned in a good year which is mind blowingly shocking because that never happens for the Orioles.

Fine. That just reinforces that maybe the O's brass should stick to what they're good at. And that is drafting and developing hitters.

Except they arent that good at drafting and developing hitters. What exactly was there to develop with top 5 picks in Wieters and Machado?

Except they arent that good at drafting and developing hitters. What exactly was there to develop with top 5 picks in Wieters and Machado?

Who cares? They drafted them and they were good. The job got done.

He was actually good in 2010. We drafted and developed him and he turned in a good year which is mind blowingly shocking because that never happens for the Orioles.

So you ignore his bad year, focus on his good year, and blatantly show you have no idea what you are talking about? Got it. Done with this convo.

They had to work on Wieters' defense and of course pitch calling.

Ever Catcher has to work on his pitch calling.

Matusz is probably the most effective and valuable the pitcher the O's have drafted since Mussina. Though Britton will surely surpass him soon.

Post-Mussina:

Pitchers:

Bedard 17.5 rWAR

Arrieta 15.5

Johnson 8.7

Britton 5.9

Maine 4.0

Matusz 3.4

Hitters:

Roberts 30.3

Werth 29.4

Markakis 27.4

Machado 17.7

Wieters 14.6

Hairston 13.6

Hammonds 8.6

Ochoa 6.5

Matos 4.7

Fontenot 4.5

Harris 3.4

Joseph 3.4

I think there is a reasonable chance that Gausman (2.0) passes Matusz this year.

Archived