At this point, do you want Davis back (poll)

Todd-O

After a week of negotiations, do you still want Davis in Black and Orange?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. After a week of negotiations, do you still want Davis in Black and Orange?

• See - You - Later, Chris!
    • Yes, Bring him Back!

Extended release is a lot more mellow. Instant release hits you like a bleeping truck.
It's roughly half as intense/powerful, with a much longer exposure.. but yeah it's the same thing. I suppose it's moot to the discussion, however... seeing as he is still allowed to use it.

As long as he is approved for it great He looked very lean last year.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan, definitely. I've had about as much fun watching Davis play as any Oriole I can remember.

Objectively speaking, however, absolutely not. This team isn't at a point where they realistically have the payroll flexibility to pay nearly 30 million dollars a year for a guy who isn't our best player. That's two or three quality players you can afford for the cost of one Chris Davis. And he isn't exactly a carry-a-team-on-his-back sort of player, 100 home runs across 2013 and 2015, and we missed the playoffs both years. His productivity was that of a marginal role player in 2014 and we came as close to the World Series as we have in close to twenty years.

The guy makes a team better, there's not a ton of doubt about that. I just have a difficult time believing he makes a team 200 million dollars better. I suspect you can get Upton, Kazmir, and possibly a third player for less than that, and having that kind of money locked up long-term in one not-gamechanging player is going to make it a lot harder to re-sign once-in-a-lifetime players like Machado.

As a fan, definitely. I've had about as much fun watching Davis play as any Oriole I can remember.

Objectively speaking, however, absolutely not. This team isn't at a point where they realistically have the payroll flexibility to pay nearly 30 million dollars a year for a guy who isn't our best player. That's two or three quality players you can afford for the cost of one Chris Davis. And he isn't exactly a carry-a-team-on-his-back sort of player, 100 home runs across 2013 and 2015, and we missed the playoffs both years. His productivity was that of a marginal role player in 2014 and we came as close to the World Series as we have in close to twenty years.

The guy makes a team better, there's not a ton of doubt about that. I just have a difficult time believing he makes a team 200 million dollars better. I suspect you can get Upton, Kazmir, and possibly a third player for less than that, and having that kind of money locked up long-term in one not-gamechanging player is going to make it a lot harder to re-sign once-in-a-lifetime players like Machado.

"Nearly 30 million" is quite the round up...

150/7 = 21.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough call for me. I've been a fan of Davis since he played AA ball for the Frisco RoughRiders. He took some pics with my kids back then and always seemed to remain a good guy. I was ecstatic when we acquired him and for many reasons, he's one of my favorite players and will be even if he leaves. That being said, my love for my team is much stronger and passing on this deal is likely better in the long run for the O's.

Archived