Boras conflict of interest

accinfo

To me it is a clear conflict of interest for Boras to represent both Chris Davis and Alvarez when the Orioles most likely would not sign both. It is like representing both the husband and wife of a divorce case.

Well, I'm not big on Alvarez anyway, but if the O's offer a reasonable deal, Boras would allow him to take it.

But I do think it gets weird sometimes when a team has to work around an awkward situation - like Davis passing on the 7/150 (which it seems like he has).

-Don

To me it is a clear conflict of interest for Boras to represent both Chris Davis and Alvarez when the Orioles most likely would not sign both. It is like representing both the husband and wife of a divorce case.

While I understand why on the surface this would appear to be a conflict, if what you say is true then no agent would ever be able to represent more than one client (or at least more than one free agent).

Boras would say that he doesn't make the offers in cases, the teams do. So, as long as he communicates offers to his clients made by the teams he is okay. He isn't deciding what team each of his clients are going to. He shops all his guys to the teams his clients ask him to shop them to and then waits to see if there are offers. He doesn't slow play Chris Davis in order to get Alvarez a job, especially if he could get more money with a Davis contract.

Representing both the team and the player would be a conflict of interest. Representing multiple players is not. For example, for both MLB and the Nationals to employ the same attorney was a conflict of interest in the MASN case, since MLB was arbitrating the MASN case.

It isn't a conflict of interest but I have said before I wouldn't want to be a second tier Boras client when he has a first tier client on the market at the same position.

I think there is some conflict of interest in the common sense meaning of the term. However, I'd bet that all these agents have their clients sign something that waives any conflict of interest that arises from representing other players.

I may be wrong but I wouldn't assume that Boras is the only agent in his agency. He's probably the lead and face of his agency who takes on the high profile players such as CD and let's his underlings handle

the second tier players.

I think there is some conflict of interest in the common sense meaning of the term. However, I'd bet that all these agents have their clients sign something that waives any conflict of interest that arises from representing other players.

I assume when you sign with Boras, you sign away far more then conflict of interest waivers.

I here Lightning McQueen's agent in my head: "And it is such an honor to be your agent that it almost hurts me to take ten percent of your winnings and merchandising and ancillary rights in perpetuity."

My point is assume the Orioles offer client A 150 million over 7 years. Boras comes back to the Orioles and says Client A wants 200 million over 8 years. The Orioles then in turn say we are no longer interested in Client A but want to offer your Client B lets say 4 years 48 million. You know Client B will jump at the offer. Problem is Client A told you to get the best deal you could and there are no other offers above the 150 million for Client A. Client A also told you all things being equal I will take the Orioles offer. What is Boras obligation to give the offer to Client B or tell Client A that may be the best offer you are going to get?

With the Nationals and Dusty back in the Chapman chase again and now Heyward they have decided to spend some serious money. The Cardinals will sign Davis if they lose Heyward. Boras is going to make a lot of money off of CD and after the 2014 season he probably thought he had a lesser client going into 2015. We really need the Nats to sign Heyward soon and the Cards to sign Davis. We can then up our offers to Gordon, Upton and Alvarez.

Archived