Cabrera needs to be sent down

paulcoates

I was watching with the sound off during a class... did Roberts not get an error on that flubbed ball up the middle? Because I thought that would be an unearned run.

Yeah that wasn't very sharply hit, it was off the end of the bat, not quite and easy play, but certainly should be made 9-10 times by a MLB infielder.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was watching with the sound off during a class... did Roberts not get an error on that flubbed ball up the middle? Because I thought that would be an unearned run.

Don't think so. Palmer mention it would likely be an infied hit and they never said otherwise

Why does he need to be sent down? Even if he doesn't pan out the way people think he could, he still makes a great 4th or 5th starter. Just becasue YOUR mad he doesn't live up to the expectations, doesn't mean he should be sent down. He eats innings and keeps the Orioles in games for the msot part, the description of a 4 or 5 starter.

I didn't see the first inning, but I actually liked what I saw from Cabrera otherwise. I thought the movement on his fastball was really good, but his slider wasn't there today.

The inning that started with the B-Rob non-error also saw Cabrera IMO get screwed on a strike call to Sexson while someone was stealing second. And then the groundball was just a little too slow to get the double play.

Why does he need to be sent down? Even if he doesn't pan out the way people think he could, he still makes a great 4th or 5th starter. Just becasue YOUR mad he doesn't live up to the expectations, doesn't mean he should be sent down. He eats innings and keeps the Orioles in games for the msot part, the description of a 4 or 5 starter.

Technically, a "great" fourth starter is Pat Dobson in 1971...;)

As I have said before, eating innings only is good if you are able to keep your ERA at 5.00 or below. If you pitch a lot of innings at an ERA over 5.00, you are hurting the team. A 6 inning, 4 ER outing is tolerable, but do that every time and you are going to lose a lot more often than you win.

I said before the year began that we had to give DCab 8-10 starts before thinking about whether he should be replaced. Today wasn't a great outing but it was a step in the right direction. If DCab had been more alert, or if Roberts had made a better defensive pay earlier, he would have had a so-called "quality start." It gives DCab something to build on for next time.

As I have said before, eating innings only is good if you are able to keep your ERA at 5.00 or below. If you pitch a lot of innings at an ERA over 5.00, you are hurting the team. A 6 inning, 4 ER outing is tolerable, but do that every time and you are going to lose a lot more often than you win.

I said before the year began that we had to give DCab 8-10 starts before thinking about whether he should be replaced. Today wasn't a great outing but it was a step in the right direction. If DCab had been more alert, or if Roberts had made a better defensive pay earlier, he would have had a so-called "quality start." It gives DCab something to build on for next time.

I would take that from a guy who was my five starter anyday of the week. 4 runs means your team is still in the game, if not winning, by the 7th inning. Chances are your facing the opposing teams 4th or 5th starter as well, so it balances out.

If you're actually watching the game, he's throwing pretty well today. He's gonna be what he's gonna be, a back of the rotation starter. ERA around 5. If you want or are expecting more than that, you're gonna be disappointed.

The mental mistake was unfortunate, but it was a strange play and its one of those situations that happens from time to time when a player tries to buy a call and forgets the situation with the runners. Think of Chuck Knoblauch in the playoffs a while back.

Wouldn't be opposed to Albers getting a shot in the rotation though, be it in place of either Burres or Cabrera (or Trachsel).

Exactly, and to be fair to Daniel, Millar wasn't exactly on top of that play until the last minute.

to a degree I can accept the wildness. We all know what we will get everytime out with him. Mental mistakes flat out should not happen at this level

But come on, how many mental mistakes has he really made? I grant you that he doesn't field the position well enough and there's probably been a time where he hasn't covered 1st, I just don't see the point in getting this upset about this. It's not something that happens regularly, at least to my recollection. Melvin makes far more mental gaffes in my opinion.

I would take that from a guy who was my five starter anyday of the week. 4 runs means your team is still in the game, if not winning, by the 7th inning. Chances are your facing the opposing teams 4th or 5th starter as well, so it balances out.

I disagree. Pitching to an ERA of 6.00 over 6 innings every time out is going to get you 197 innings of 6.00 ERA and that is not good.

Also, no. 4-5 starters don't always line up with the other team's 4-5. Especially Cabrera, who actually started this year in the 2 slot.

This post is right on the money. People are "fed up" with Daniel because he hasn't turned into Mike Mussina or Randy Johnson. He was bad last year, but over his career he's been a good back of the rotation starter and there's nothing really wrong with that.

Sent down? I disagree. He had a brain cramp at first for one of the runs. A bad first inning. I mentioned in the game thread that I thought he should've pitched around Ibanez when he fell down 2-0. First base was open. Certainly not a great start, but hey....it wasn't terrible.

Between the control issues and the flat out mental mistake of not turning around to watch Beltre TAKE home plate on him, something has to be done. Kill me if you like, say "this is only his 2nd start this year", or whatever you want. It isn't like this is his first year with the Birds.

Send him down, put him in the pen, whatever. But this simply has to end. He is not going to even be an average pitcher in the majors I fear. He is simply not a starter.

I have said this for 4 straight weeks.

He got to go now!

MSK

Archived