Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

Going Underground

This is just one of those issues that 10 different people are gonna see 8 different ways.

Sometimes in those situations, we should just say its a gray area, give the guy the benefit of the doubt his intentions are good until proven otherwise. Trying to convince one another of the correctness of viewpoints just feels running a hamster wheel.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just read the first 3 pages of this long thread and I see not one word about Buck. What gives with that? Maybe the thread title should be changed?

Sounds like a whole lot of hullabaloo about nothing to me.

I used the later thread title because that was where the discussion was headed.

Manny could be the god father of the child.

Bingo.

I'm more irked at Buck for his snide attitude on this. Love 'em both, but it was his remarks (a mature man who knows the value of words and how they may be filtered through the press) that has blown this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read through most of the pages of this but not one person mentioned the fact I dont remember Cal at Fanfest most of the years that I went when he was still playing.

I had seen that mentioned earlier today, but be that as it may, you're correct that Ripken was noticeably absent at Fanfest. Ripken probably also signed more autographs at the ballpark than several of his teammates combined. It appears that the Orioles now contractually obligate their players to appear, which may not have been the case a decade or more ago.

ETA I don't know when Fanfest began. The first one I attended was in 1993 and the reason I remember that year was we had just acquired Harold Baines and a friend of mine and I met him there.

I had seen that mentioned earlier today, but be that as it may, you're correct that Ripken was noticeably absent at Fanfest. Ripken probably also signed more autographs at the ballpark than several of his teammates combined. It appears that the Orioles now contractually obligate their players to appear, which may not have been the case a decade or more ago.

ETA I don't know when Fanfest began. The first one I attended was in 1993 and the reason I remember that year was we had just acquired Harold Baines and a friend of mine and I met him there.

I'd still like to know who signed Manny's hall pass. He/she shares in the infamy IMO. Maybe Buck has already had him/her fired.

Same. Although I think Manny's excuse is weak, I also think it's weird to get autographs from/ attempt to "spend time with" pampered athletes who, in all likelihood, have absolutely no interest in dealing with you.

And for those who think they pay Manny's salary...OK, show him some consequences. Dock his earnings. I'd honestly love to see it. But let's be real: you're going to pay just as much attention to the O's, consequences or no, and Manny's world will spin on, happily oblivious to your irritation.

Perfect. Not that I understand the autograph fetish to begin with but I understand it even less when it's from a guy totally compelled to be there and not of his free will. I think it's really sweet Cal Ripken took his free time to sign for people who are into that but FanFest is really weird.

Manny doesn't have a signed contract.

Is he going to play professional Jai-Alai? There is still a reserve clause that covers his contract situation. He just gets to arbitrate this season if he does not like what the Orioles offer in money. The standard contract is in effect and can be imposed. No other terms can be modified until and extension or free agency set him apart from this. It's a union negotiated thing.

I did not care that he was not there. I do know Buck and the children did.

Is he going to play professional Jai-Alai? There is still a reserve clause that covers his contract situation. He just gets to arbitrate this season if he does not like what the Orioles offer in money. The standard contract is in effect and can be imposed. No other terms can be modified until and extension or free agency set him apart from this. It's a union negotiated thing.

I did not care that he was not there. I do know Buck and the children did.

Nope, just pointing out that he has no contractual obligation to attend. What he and all players are bound to is the CBA which takes discipline away from the Orioles and places with the league. Nor can any team amend the uniform contract to include language that changes the players obligation.

I should point out that lack of participation in promotions can be used against a player in arbitration.

Nope, just pointing out that he has no contractual obligation to attend. What he and all players are bound to is the CBA which takes discipline away from the Orioles and places with the league. Nor can any team amend the uniform contract to include language that changes the players obligation.

I should point out that lack of participation in promotions can be used against a player in arbitration.

Good insight. Thanks.

Archived