Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

Going Underground

I have never understood the need to bash the autograph collector crowd. To each his own. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't important to someone else. It's their hobby it's what the choose to spend their free time doing and their extra hard earned cash on. I see it as an art. I proudly display my items much the same way an art collector puts paintings of ducks on their wall. If people were not dumping their vouchers for half of their cost on eBay I probably would have not gone this year. Manny and Crush are the big draw for a lot of collectors and neither of them were there. Crush obviously for contract reasons. It just says a lot when your best player can't be bothered to be there. I am sure there is plenty of crap at our jobs that we just do because we are obligated to. This is one of his obligations.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never understood the need to bash the autograph collector crowd. To each his own. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't important to someone else. It's their hobby it's what the choose to spend their free time doing and their extra hard earned cash on. I see it as an art. I proudly display my items much the same way an art collector puts paintings of ducks on their wall. If people were not dumping their vouchers for half of their cost on eBay I probably would have not gone this year. Manny and Crush are the big draw for a lot of collectors and neither of them were there. Crush obviously for contract reasons. It just says a lot when your best player can't be bothered to be there. I am sure there is plenty of crap at our jobs that we just do because we are obligated to. This is one of his obligations.

Wouldn't Palmer be a big draw?

He should be but because he has signed so much his market value is much lower than Davis or Machado. I don't have any problem with the "autograph collector crowd" except for those who either push kids out of the way to get to the player or instead pay kids to get the autographs for them. I've seen both over the years. Because you see fewer players signing at the ballpark, it creates a mad rush at Fanfest.

I am not sure if this is a sarcastic reply or not? I am going to assume it's an honest question. Palmer has been a very active member on the autograph circuit for many many years. He is also obtainable outside the stadium if your willing to put in a little time and effort as well. If you are an autograph collector and do not have your fill of Palmer autographs you are not trying.

Manny does not really sign before games from what I have seen and I think the last time I checked when he does paid signings he is close to $100+ I believe now. Autograph collectors get two real chances per year to get Manny for free or really cheap. FanFest is one of them. The other is at the season ticket holder event in the middle of the year.

I am not sure if this is a sarcastic reply or not? I am going to assume it's an honest question. Palmer has been a very active member on the autograph circuit for many many years. He is also obtainable outside the stadium if your willing to put in a little time and effort as well. If you are an autograph collector and do not have your fill of Palmer autographs you are not trying.

Manny does not really sign before games from what I have seen and I think the last time I checked when he does paid signings he is close to $100+ I believe now. Autograph collectors get two real chances per year to get Manny for free or really cheap. FanFest is one of them. The other is at the season ticket holder event in the middle of the year.

I guess maybe before a game but I have never seem him seen at that time. Bryce Harper does sign a few autographs before a game.The times i have seen were all kids. I saw one adult trying to get a kid to go down with a ball. One of the reasons players don't sign.

If people were not dumping their vouchers for half of their cost on eBay I probably would have not gone this year.

They were non transferable. Both parties were in violation of the law. Stolen property always sells at a discount. So do non transferable vouchers.

They were non transferable. Both parties were in violation of the law. Stolen property always sells at a discount. So do non transferable vouchers.

I am not sure how true that statement is. You were allowed to buy two vouchers per session. You in theory had to be in line within 30 minutes of the start time. If you were not near the front you could not go through twice in that time frame so you would have to transfer a ticket to another party. I purchased two for Brady Anderson and sold one to my girlfriends brother for cost.

Adam Jones and Buck sold for more than cost. If the Orioles really cared about that they would take further steps to prevent it. The same amount of money goes to charity regardless if people sell them for profit or just chooses to not redeem them.

I guess maybe before a game but I have never seem him seen at that time. Bryce Harper does sign a few autographs before a game.The times i have seen were all kids. I saw one adult trying to get a kid to go down with a ball. One of the reasons players don't sign.

Despite him coming off as a jerk Harper the past couple of years realizes he and Trout are the face of baseball and he has tried to do and say all the right things for the game. He is just very passionate about what he does. He also signs autographs a good amount now while doing what he can to devalue them for resale. Its win win he hooks up true fans and also prevents resale value.

Wow. A hundred dollars? I have a pretty good baseball card collection from my youth. My plan was to sell most of it when my kids went to college, but by that time the value in baseball cards went down to the point that it really wouldn't help. I decided to keep them. Maybe the value will go back up someday where my kids or grandchildren might cash in a little bit. Never had many autographs - just a few heroes of my youth. Johnny Unitas, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Boog Powell, Art Donovan, Al Kaline, Bill Mazeroski. That's about it. I was never thinking of autographs as an investment. Looks like I missed the boat there.

I am not sure how true that statement is. You were allowed to buy two vouchers per session. You in theory had to be in line within 30 minutes of the start time. If you were not near the front you could not go through twice in that time frame so you would have to transfer a ticket to another party. I purchased two for Brady Anderson and sold one to my girlfriends brother for cost.

Adam Jones and Buck sold for more than cost. If the Orioles really cared about that they would take further steps to prevent it. The same amount of money goes to charity regardless if people sell them for profit or just chooses to not redeem them.

I looked for the info online and can not find it now so you may well be correct. I do know the intent was to make it very tough for the re-sellers.

Wow. A hundred dollars? I have a pretty good baseball card collection from my youth. My plan was to sell most of it when my kids went to college, but by that time the value in baseball cards went down to the point that it really wouldn't help. I decided to keep them. Maybe the value will go back up someday where my kids or grandchildren might cash in a little bit. Never had many autographs - just a few heroes of my youth. Johnny Unitas, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Boog Powell, Art Donovan, Al Kaline, Bill Mazeroski. That's about it. I was never thinking of autographs as an investment. Looks like I missed the boat there.

A lot of the cost is paying for the right to meet the player. If the average Joe tried to sell it they would not make their money back or very little profit.

Despite what players think their autographs are not something someone gets rich off of.

I will use Manny as an example. Last year I got him at Fan Fest on a 16x20 and I framed it.

Voucher cost $20

Photo cost $20

Frame cost: $50

My Time Invested: 6 hours (Even if I made min wage thats $46.50)

Total: $136.50

I went to Great Moments 1 day sale and got the same thing for $90 with rock solid authentication that I would have a much easier time to sell vs the one I put $ into.

Does anyone remember Fanfest being held at Camden Yards? I think the autographs were free. You would sit in different sections of the stadium to get who you wanted. Sometimes if one section was too crowded you might end up with no autographs. Some sections were full for the popular players and others very sparse. They used to do it right before the season started. I remember Guthrie had his kid with him and she was drawing on his picture,I got both his kid and him to sign it. Millar was always so funny .

Does anyone remember Fanfest being held at Camden Yards? I think the autographs were free. You would sit in different sections of the stadium to get who you wanted. Sometimes if one section was too crowded you might end up with no autographs. Some sections were full for the popular players and others very sparse. They used to do it right before the season started. I remember Guthrie had his kid with him and she was drawing on his picture,I got both his kid and him to sign it. Millar was always so funny .

That is kind of how they do the 29/81 game plan holder mid season event. I think they only did that one year maybe two. I think their current format is perfect. I think the only reason its earlier this year is I am sure the convention center had a bigger paying event in January.

Archived