Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

Going Underground

A lot of the cost is paying for the right to meet the player. If the average Joe tried to sell it they would not make their money back or very little profit.

Despite what players think their autographs are not something someone gets rich off of.

I will use Manny as an example. Last year I got him at Fan Fest on a 16x20 and I framed it.

Voucher cost $20

Photo cost $20

Frame cost: $50

My Time Invested: 6 hours (Even if I made min wage thats $46.50)

Total: $136.50

I went to Great Moments 1 day sale and got the same thing for $90 with rock solid authentication that I would have a much easier time to sell vs the one I put $ into.

It should go without saying that I'd prefer people engage in autograph-seeking than collecting the still-beating hearts of their enemies, but it's disingenuous to act as though the behavior isn't odd (just as many other hobbies are odd). If you're an adult-type person with a career/life of his own, gaining some kind of thrill/satisfaction from collecting the signature of a rich, likely disinterested 20-something is...well, it's odd. Further, I cringe a little whenever I see a middle-aged person with a backpack reaching over/around kids in an effort to collect signatures at the ballpark. Regardless of whether that person collects for his/her personal enjoyment or a prospective sale.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should go without saying that I'd prefer people engage in autograph-seeking than collecting the still-beating hearts of their enemies, but it's disingenuous to act as though the behavior isn't odd (just as many other hobbies are odd). If you're an adult-type person with a career/life of his own, gaining some kind of thrill/satisfaction from collecting the signature of a rich, likely disinterested 20-something is...well, it's odd. Further, I cringe a little whenever I see a middle-aged person with a backpack reaching over/around kids in an effort to collect signatures at the ballpark. Regardless of whether that person collects for his/her personal enjoyment or a prospective sale.

You don't like adults with backpacks who knock the kids out of the way to get autographs? Just because they have looseleaf binders and cards in alphabetical order. They get the sharpie out and then sort of blow on the card. That is one of my favorite things to watch before a game.

You don't like adults with backpacks who knock the kids out of the way to get autographs? Just because they have looseleaf binders and cards in alphabetical order. They get the sharpie out and then sort of blow on the card. That is one of my favorite things to watch before a game.

Once I saw a passerby sneeze on such a card. The card owner's expression of comingled pain and exasperation wouldn't have looked out of place in a warzone. His sweaty visor and fanny pack sort of ruined the effect, though.

What's really odd is a 46-year-old dude waiting at the railing to get an autograph at the Blue Crabs game, where the best players are often guys whose career peak was 46 games for the 2009 D'backs.

What's odd to the point of almost wanting to ask what's going on but I was too scared was the time I was sitting in the LF seats at the Blue Crabs' stadium and one of the non-descript 28-year-old players who'd washed out of affiliated ball several years ago came up to the stands where a 50-something woman reached into her bag, pulled out a large bag of what appeared to be Tootsie Rolls, handed it to the player, he nodded at the woman, then ran off to continue warmups. What the...

What's really odd is a 46-year-old dude waiting at the railing to get an autograph at the Blue Crabs game, where the best players are often guys whose career peak was 46 games for the 2009 D'backs.

What's odd to the point of almost wanting to ask what's going on but I was too scared was the time I was sitting in the LF seats at the Blue Crabs' stadium and one of the non-descript 28-year-old players who'd washed out of affiliated ball several years ago came up to the stands where a 50-something woman reached into her bag, pulled out a large bag of what appeared to be Tootsie Rolls, handed it to the player, he nodded at the woman, then ran off to continue warmups. What the...

That's...basically amazing. I think I'd have spent the entirety of that game constructing elaborate backstories to explain what you witnessed. Spycraft. Illicit, comparatively cheap "favors" on the down-low. A strangely benign offering to the gods of minor league baseball...seemingly endless possibilities.

My autograph collection consists of Ozzie Smith, David Wells, Joe Gibbs and Ziggy Marley.

I have no idea where three of the four are and all four were gifts by folks that thought I would care.

I'm a little late to the party. This discussion reminds me of an evening where I nearly gave an 40-ish adult wearing back pack some free dental work when he all but smashed my 9 year old daughter so he could get a towel from Schoop. My daughter knows how to box out but there was no whistle for the blatant over the back. I said my piece but I had to keep it on the up and up in front of my kid.

Ok,i will leave you with this,back to work. i could not make this up.A guy with a backpack is on the third base side and the Orioles were playing the Rangers.I was talking to my friend down the third base line.A Ranger comes out and the guy pulls out a notebook. It looked like all the Ranger team in baseball cards. He starts ruffling through his binder and hands the guy the card. Odor from the Rangers,hands the card back and goes you handed me the wrong card. The guy starts ruffling for the right card and Odor takes the original card he had back and signs it. The guy was sort of mad. I gave Odor the thumbs up and he started laughing.

That's...basically amazing. I think I'd have spent the entirety of that game constructing elaborate backstories to explain what you witnessed. Spycraft. Illicit, comparatively cheap "favors" on the down-low. A strangely benign offering to the gods of minor league baseball...seemingly endless possibilities.

No kidding. What added to the bizarro-world vibe was that the woman could have been a movie extra playing "Overweight Caucasian shopper in Wal Mart #3" and the player was a svelte, athletic African-American. Jarring contrasts. Myriad possibilities.

"I told him we've already got one."

"What's it look like?"

"Itsa very nice."

Looks like I'm regressing too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saw this in the theater 40 years ago. Yeah, I'm that old.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A8yjNbcKkNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this issue really boils down to whether you feel that Manny legitimately felt that was important to be present for the birth of his best friend/brother-in-law's child, or whether he was simply using that as an excuse. I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt, since he has no track record of blowing off fan functions or other scheduled appearances and certainly shows up to play.

Archived