Baseball America top 10 Orioles prospects

xian4

Problem is - other than what you've already pointed out are problems with Wilson - is he's now a 26 year old who's always been a bit over-aged at each level. To me, the fact that he's considered an option as 5th starter shows how uncrowded it is. Most teams would consider a guy like him for their rotation. I think Wright has a better chance long-term, but as a reliever - because he has an out pitch with his fastball.

Edit - Most teams would NOT consider a guy like Wilson for their rotation.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he had a heck of a season in college, didn't he? I don't believe that these rankings are a ranking of minor league stats in 2015, but rather a ranking of potential. Having said that, I'm not so sure that a lot of experts in the field would have Stewart in the Orioles' top 10. I just don't think that his struggles in the late summer are the sole determining factor, though.

Problem is - other than what you've already pointed out are problems with Wilson - is he's now a 26 year old who's always been a bit over-aged at each level. To me, the fact that he's considered an option as 5th starter shows how uncrowded it is. Most teams would not consider a guy like him for their rotation. I think Wright has a better chance long-term, but as a reliever - because he has an out pitch with his fastball.

It's crowded with league average guys that are making $5M-$15M. Last year with all the struggles and injuries you would have expected Wilson and Wright to play a larger role but they didn't because they were blocked. Norris is thankfully gone but I am guessing we replace Chen with more of the same (Gallardo is about the upper limit of what I expect based on the signals we have been getting from the organization). Small sample size, but Wilson's ERA of 3.50 was better than any of our rotation guys other than Chen.

I would not expect Wilson (or Lee, Gunkel, Miranda, Doyle, etc) to be any better than league average, but they would be a heck of a lot cheaper. If we could get anything back for Gonzo or Tillman, I would like to see what we have in some of these guys and use those dollars to fix the holes we have elsewhere. The last thing I would want to do is bring in another league average guy for $10M a year and continue to block these guys who could make the same contribution for pennies on the dollar. The ideal would be to have some real talent at the top end and then some cheap pre-arb controllable guys filling out the back end.

It's crowded with league average guys that are making $5M-$15M. Last year with all the struggles and injuries you would have expected Wilson and Wright to play a larger role but they didn't because they were blocked. Norris is thankfully gone but I am guessing we replace Chen with more of the same (Gallardo is about the upper limit of what I expect based on the signals we have been getting from the organization). Small sample size, but Wilson's ERA of 3.50 was better than any of our rotation guys other than Chen.

I would not expect Wilson (or Lee, Gunkel, Miranda, Doyle, etc) to be any better than league average, but they would be a heck of a lot cheaper. If we could get anything back for Gonzo or Tillman, I would like to see what we have in some of these guys and use those dollars to fix the holes we have elsewhere. The last thing I would want to do is bring in another league average guy for $10M a year and continue to block these guys who could make the same contribution for pennies on the dollar. The ideal would be to have some real talent at the top end and then some cheap pre-arb controllable guys filling out the back end.

Re his 3.50 ERA, I'm not at all impressed. That's 36 innings, and he got lucky. He allowed a lot of base-runners and had a lousy SO/W ratio. He's simply an organization guy who you use if you've got several injuries to guys ahead of him. The problem with the team's pitching depth is that they traded away guys like Eduardo Rodriuqez and Hader and Davies.

Re his 3.50 ERA, I'm not at all impressed. That's 36 innings, and he got lucky. He allowed a lot of base-runners and had a lousy SO/W ratio. He's simply an organization guy who you use if you've got several injuries to guys ahead of him. The problem with the team's pitching depth is that they traded away guys like Eduardo Rodriuqez and Hader and Davies.

Miguel was that "organization guy" in 2012 and ended up having a great run for three years through 2014 and even parts of 2015. Now that Miguel costs $5M, we need to find the next Miguel. It could be Wilson, it could be Miranda, but we will never know if we are paying Miguel $5M to be our #5. A good team should be able to tolerate some experimentation at the back end with talent at the front end.

• 1 month later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'll talk <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/Nationals">@Nationals</a> prospects who can help this year on <a href="https://twitter.com/masnsports">@masnsports</a> around 5:20 pm ET.</p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="

">February 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'll talk <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/Nationals">@Nationals</a> prospects who can help this year on <a href="https://twitter.com/masnsports">@masnsports</a> around 5:20 pm ET.</p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="
">February 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Too much Gnats talk for my liking.

Miguel was that "organization guy" in 2012 and ended up having a great run for three years through 2014 and even parts of 2015. Now that Miguel costs $5M, we need to find the next Miguel. It could be Wilson, it could be Miranda, but we will never know if we are paying Miguel $5M to be our #5. A good team should be able to tolerate some experimentation at the back end with talent at the front end.

Therein, the problem. We have no top shelf talent at the front end. Maybe Gasman steps up this year. Obviously Bundy was supposed to be right there with him. Maybe next year (2017) we can finally realize that 1-2 punch. (But) going into this year we have no one that you can confidently project as being better than a 3. So, no, we don't have the front end talent to be able to experiment at the back end. That said, we don't really have any choice and I personally don't tie those two things together. I am happy to experiment with the 5 spot to see if we can uncork a high upside guy or uncover a diamond in the rough.

I think it sucks that our two top prospects are guys who've had arm issues, one of which has to be on the ML roster this season per his contract. It also sucks that our last years 1st round pick was a college bat that struggled mightily in the low minors.

I dream of a day that the Orioles will have a ton of prospects throughout the minors that have promising futures. Seems like I'm perpetually rooting for Jimmy Haynes, Rick Krivda and Adam Loewen. Names change, results stay the same.

Archived