Connolly: Orioles SIGN Kim 2 - $7M (Olmos Waived & Re-Claimed by Cubs)

Yardball85

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On Kim: Orioles not alone in the pursuit of him. Other MLB teams reportedly have interest. Hearing Padres may have made an offer too.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And if the competition is there will the price stay reasonable?

I think there is probably enough doubt about him from where he comes from to keep the free spenders away with other proven guys available. But, what reasonable for a team like the Orioles? Who gets more an unknown like this or a guy like Steve Pearce? Who would you spend this money on? Pearce who is what he is or this guy who might never be but very well could? I think Kang success really helps him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On Kim: Orioles not alone in the pursuit of him. Other MLB teams reportedly have interest. Hearing Padres may have made an offer too.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">December 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, nothing ever comes easy to us lol. But, I'm sure there are at least a few others interested.

If you can't get guaranteed good you might as well go for different.

Contrast that with the Orioles' player acquisition strategy circa 2005. That appeared to be driven by someone who really didn't want the big kids to notice them, and then possibly beat them up, so they only acquired anonymous players by standard means to utilize in conventional ways.

Contrast that with the Orioles' player acquisition strategy circa 2005. That appeared to be driven by someone who really didn't want the big kids to notice them, and then possibly beat them up, so they only acquired anonymous players by standard means to utilize in conventional ways.

Don't forget the tendency to acquire stars whose light had dimmed.

Some thoughts;

-Fact: Although Kim looks good on paper, he is still a risk.

-Opinions:

-IF they get him and don't sign another starting outfielder, this will just be another "throw a dart at the dartboard and hope it sticks" move. Duquette's favorite. Worked so well last year....

-Since the O's have 2 holes in the outfield, I would think, as most baseball people would, that you would have 2 real starting outfielders, with Kim to battle with the other 6-7 AAAA guys we have, for 1 outfield spot and DH.

-I see many of you out here want to see JUp in an O's uniform. Please add me to that list. However, as I look out my window, I don't see any pig's flying.

Archived