Nats 2nd home game in new stadium: 20,497 fans

Frobby

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ouch. Call out the moving vans, Las Vegas here they come!

Of course, I'm exagerating. They'll draw the league average this year, if not a little bit over that amount.

But still, 20,497? On April 8, 1992, the O's played their second game at OPACY and drew 42,870.

At least now we have 10 years of losing seasons which we can use an excuse for our gate trouble this year. What is the Nationals excuse? Slow metro transfers?

The Orioles also had the advantage of playing in the nicest park that had been build in about 80 years. OPACY was truly a phenomenon. The Nats' park, while nice, is like the 17th new mallpark in the country. They're just keeping up with the rest of the league, and they don't have a great team. They'll probably have an experience like the Tigers and their new park - they'll draw when they win, and they won't when they lose.

Sean, yea I agree with most of your points, but this was basically what I was getting at. It's just not a baseball town IMO. You think it could be in 20 yrs or so, and I really don't think it will ever be. It's pretty much all about the Redskins here, no matter if they win or lose.

Even when the Skins suck, people still pack the stadium and pay 40$ for parking. It's just a football town IMO, and a little of hockey now with Ovechkin.

I think the Ravens had an easier transition because they had immediate success and it made it easier for people to be a fan. And IMO more people are into the NFL nowadays.

Actually, this is the third time they've had a home team. The first one failed because Cal Griffith saw dollar signs in Minnesota and they weren't drawing worth crap. The second one failed because the owner was in massive debt and they weren't drawing worth crap.

Well, I think a lot has to do with the quality of team the Senators were. In short, they were horrible for 80% of the time they were in DC.

If the Nats can be good, they will draw. I don't think any major city in the country would have trouble drawing attendance for a winning team.

As for "baseball city" that's all opinion. Yeah, St. Louis is supposed to be a great baseball city. But what does that mean? How do you measure it?

I hate to defend DC because I am indifferent to it and the Nationals, but I really am tired of people bashing the Nats and cheering their low attendance just because they have to because they are O's fans. It's dumb IMO. Unless you have a good reason to, I don't know why anyone would hate the Nats.

I think whoever said that the era of the new ballpark is over is correct. But that said, the Nats stadium is still nice and people will come to see it when the weather gets warm. Maybe they won't sell out every night... OK... but on nice weekends, I don't think you'll see attendance get below 30-35,000 in DC this year.

I think their attendence will be decent this year just because of the new stadium and people will just want to go to see what its like and it gives them something new to do for a summer weekend.

Living in DC, after this year if they keep losing, I don't think anyone is really gonna go or be interested in their somewhat young/talented team. If I wasn't a diehard O's fan I would be interested in the team and go to games, but people here don't really care.

For instance, in the Nats first year, people went to games because it was their first year and they were around 500 most of the year and generated some new excitement in the city for a little bit. Then after that, they started losing and no one cared about them anymore.

The Marlins are not exactly a big draw and with the cold weather I am not surprised they only drew 20,000. O's fans shouldn't gloat too much, they only drew about 10,000.

I'm not gloating, I want both team to thrive. But 10,000 for a weekday day game can't be compared to a night game, especially the 2nd game ever played at a brand new stadium.

Both teams had better hope things pick up.

I think Nats tickets are way too expensive, considering that they're not a great team. I was looking at the series this summer where the Birds visit the Nats new stadium, and the ticket prices are almost twice as much as Camden Yards.

Like the excuses that have been given to the Orioles for their poor attendance, they would hold true here right?

Cold weather, bad road draw, school night....etc.

I know it's a new stadium but it's not exactly as new as OPACY was. OPACY was a much different stadium while the Nats stadium is almost cookie-cutter in its design.

This isn't quite the attendance boost the Nats were expecting from their new stadium. Could spell long-term trouble for them.
I think Nats tickets are way too expensive, considering that they're not a great team. I was looking at the series this summer where the Birds visit the Nats new stadium, and the ticket prices are almost twice as much as Camden Yards.

There are approximately 611 million reasons the Nationals aren't going anywhere...just like the Orioles aren't going anywhere.

I agree with Genya, though...the ticket prices for Nationals Stadium are higher than they should be. This is why they haven't sold out the seats behind the plate, and are already offering 50% discounts on them. Look for an "adjustment" in their seating prices next season.

There are approximately 611 million reasons the Nationals aren't going anywhere...just like the Orioles aren't going anywhere.

I agree with Genya, though...the ticket prices for Nationals Stadium are higher than they should be. This is why they haven't sold out the seats behind the plate, and are already offering 50% discounts on them. Look for an "adjustment" in their seating prices next season.

Unless they've decided that they make more money selling 50% or 75% of their $350 seats than they would selling 100% of the same seats at $100.

Ticket pricing is all about maximizing revenues. Not necessarily maximizing attendance.

I think what gets O's fans all fired up about the Nats and attendance is how the folks in DC said that they would have no problem drawing fans and needed their own team. They shouldn't have to share a team with Baltimore, while folks in Baltimore are asked to share the Wizards and Caps. Outside of the Skins, DC is a poor sports town. Kind of like Atlanta or Miami or San Diego, tons of transplants and a lot of other things to spend your money on. I think Baltimore and DC can support both teams, especially when they're winning, but I don't see either leading the league in attendance.

23,000 and change for Game 3. The NCAA tournament was not a big factor.

Everyone was at the DC United-Pachuca Champion's Cup match just up the road at RFK. You can't expect MLB to compete with a major international soccer match. The Nats probably would have drawn 23,500 if not for that.

And I also heard some NBA (whatever that is) team was playing in the city, too.

Archived