Which starting 9 would you prefer?

El Gordo

Which starting 9 would you prefer?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which starting 9 would you prefer?

This poll is closed to new votes

There are a number of teams interested in Alvarez, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got 2 years. Plus if we land Davis we have to trade Trumbo to make room for Alvarez. That makes little sense since Trumbo has ok splits v RHP and can play 1B/COF as well as DH, while Avaraz has no position and can't hit LHP.

If Trumbo can play CO, why would we need to trade him?

To be clear, I'm not advocating signing both Davis and Alvarez. Your choices basically boiled down to Upton and Alvarez versus Davis and Reimold. My point is that Davis' and Upton's 2016 salaries will likely be similar, so if you have the money for your B choice, there should be money to upgrade over Reimold (I wouldn't have signed him for 1.3M BTW). You could get Alvarez if you're comfortable with Trumbo in RF or you could bring back Pearce to be the RF. Whether or not those would be upgrades would be up for debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be clear, I'm not advocating signing both Davis and Alvarez. Your choices basically boiled down to Upton and Alvarez versus Davis and Reimold. My point is that Davis' and Upton's 2016 salaries will likely be similar, so if you have the money for your B choice, there should be money to upgrade over Reimold (I wouldn't have signed him for 1.3M BTW). You could get Alvarez if you're comfortable with Trumbo in RF or you could bring back Pearce to be the RF. Whether or not those would be upgrades would be up for debate.

Trumbo is a situational OF that's all. He's a 1B/DH. Alvarez is DH period.

I count the same in each.

Option A

AJ

JJ

Trumbo

Schoop

Reimold

Machado

Lefty/switch - Kim, wieters, Davis

Option B

AJ

JJ

Trumbo

Schoop

Upton

Machado

Lefty/switch - Kim, wieters, Alvarez

LOL we're talking PEDRO Alvarez? I thought this was Dariel.

I would rather have Dariel or Reimold over Pedro Alvarez even though they are both RH.

Is there any cleverness to the Reimold deal perhaps? Can we DFA him without it being a situation where we owe the whole amount less the minimum? Just thinking if we can essentially have him as AAA depth unless some team wants to take the above-minimum salary. Essentially paying $750K or so extra to garner a 26th roster spot possibly.

I like option B, because I prefer Upton to Davis. But I will say that Alvarez scares me a little. Does anyone else find it disconcerting that the Pirates, a winning team, were trying to get rid of him for quite some time? I remember issues as he was coming up, about his unwillingness to do interviews. Not sure how relevant those things are now, but I have a hunch he's not exactly Buck material.

I'm in the crowd much more concerned with who is replacing Chen's innings as oppposed to Davis' ABs. If Davis comes back adding Trumbo and Kim probably make the offense better than last year regardless of who the other COF is. If they bring in Upton and Alvarez the production is again probably better than last years lineup.

If Trumbo is is 70% of what Davis gave the team but they upgrade the COF enough and DH(which shouldn't be hard) to make up for over last year's production it's still a top 10 run scoring team with only a couple more minor signings

Chen was the best SP the team had last year. Even if KG, Ubaldo, Gonzalez and Tillman all improve over last year's performance it won't be enough to make up the difference between Chen's 2015 and the 2016 stats of Worley/Wright/Wilson as the 5th starter.

I know the long ball is fun and putting up 5 runs a game is great, but stopping the other team from scoring more than you is still important too

Even if KG, Ubaldo, Gonzalez and Tillman all improve over last year's performance it won't be enough to make up the difference between Chen's 2015 and the 2016 stats of Worley/Wright/Wilson as the 5th starter.

Not sure about that. If all 4 improve to the tune of a #2 and all #3 with our top 3 bullpen that is huge. #5 starter would only need to an innings eater.

I like option B, because I prefer Upton to Davis. But I will say that Alvarez scares me a little. Does anyone else find it disconcerting that the Pirates, a winning team, were trying to get rid of him for quite some time? I remember issues as he was coming up, about his unwillingness to do interviews. Not sure how relevant those things are now, but I have a hunch he's not exactly Buck material.

Alavarez is extremely tight with Flaherty who was his roommate at Vandy and Flaherty is a huge Buck guy. Pretty sure Alvarez and Buck would be fine.

A)

C Wieters

1B Davis

2B Schoop

3B Manny

SS JJ

LF Kim

CF AJ

RF Reimold

DH Trumbo

or B)

C Wieters

1B Trumbo

2B Schoop

3B Manny

SS JJ

LF Kim

CF AJ

RF Upton

DH Alvarez

Good thread.

One of the main reasons why I would like to have Chris Davis back is for his defense at 1st base.

I also like the fact that Nolan Reimold (our most patient batter at the plate) stayed healthy for all of last season ...... plus, he's inexpensive.

Archived