Don't know about you...but I want Cespedes

Todd-O

A lot of red flags with Cespedes... he's been on 4 teams in 4 years. Obviously there is a reason why he is wearing out his welcome.

He had a bad shoulder towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, yet continued playing golf the day of games, including Game 4 of the World Series.

No thanks.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ding....ding...ding... This may be why Cespedes is not getting much attention in the market. Prior to the last 60 games with the Mets he was a 2-3 win player. Not a game changer not worth $20MM a year

I suspect he's getting plenty of attention. I also suspect he'll get some silly nine-figure contract. And... I don't think he's on the Orioles' radar. In fact, I don't think we'll sign Upton, Gordon or anyone else of that ilk.

Ding....ding...ding... This may be why Cespedes is not getting much attention in the market. Prior to the last 60 games with the Mets he was a 2-3 win player. Not a game changer not worth $20MM a year

Most all would agree he was THE game-changer for the Mets upon acquisition. May have missed the playoffs entirely without him.

Plus, I would bet he is getting a lot of attention from numerous teams, regardless of whether we are reading about it.

A lot of red flags with Cespedes... he's been on 4 teams in 4 years. Obviously there is a reason why he is wearing out his welcome.

He had a bad shoulder towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, yet continued playing golf the day of games, including Game 4 of the World Series.

No thanks.

I would focus more at how the teams did after they acquired him vs how they were doing before they acquired him. That matters more than if he was a good clubhouse guy.

And the fact that he was willing to play hurt should be considered a plus - though any team considering him obviously should check on his health.

30-year-old with a career .805 OPS coming off the best 60-game streak of his career in the middle of a NYC pennant race. Sounds like a great way to pay 6- or 7-win prices for a 3-win player's decline phase.

So you don't want him in part because he helped the Mets win their division....

A GM of a mid-market team, like the Orioles, must consider the value of a first-round draft pick. That's a critical part of the equation.

Exactly. If you want to add enough talent for the O's to be a contender next season, consider the options and how they effect the future. If you don't want the O's to contend next year, be up front about it.

If you sign him to a 6/$120MM deal you should still come out ok on it...

2016 4.0

2017 3.6

2018 3.2

2019 2.5

2020 2.0

2021 1.6

TOTAL WAR = 16.90 @ 2016 rate ($8MM/WAR) = $135,200,000.00*

*does not count for yearly inflation

There you're only paying for three seasons better than his 2nd-best year in his 20s. In his 30s.

There you're only paying for three seasons better than his 2nd-best year in his 20s. In his 30s.

I don't want to sign the guy cause I don't think he fits in w the culture here.

That said, it's not exactly his fault he didn't debut till he was 26 years old.

I'm not sure you can point to 4 teams and say the guy is a hot-mess socially.

Look at the teams/situations:

A's...they'll trade anyone, including future league MVPs

Boston...they ARE a hot mess and not all players like playing in that city

Detroit...they blew up their team (see: David Price)

Mets...contract is up.

Unless you guys have been hiding out in clubhouse laundry baskets, listening-in on dynamics, the four team argument doesn't hold much water. In fact, I've read that he was liked - a lot - in Oakland.

I'd love to see him in Black and Orange.

I'm not sure you can point to 4 teams and say the guy is a hot-mess socially.

Look at the teams/situations:

A's...they'll trade anyone, including future league MVPs

Boston...they ARE a hot mess and not all players like playing in that city

Detroit...they blew up their team (see: David Price)

Mets...contract is up.

Unless you guys have been hiding out in clubhouse laundry baskets, listening-in on dynamics, the four team argument doesn't hold much water. In fact, I've read that he was liked - a lot - in Oakland.

I'd love to see him in Black and Orange.

I've read he was chain smoking in the tunnel during BP w the Mets.

He was playing golf on the WS game day.

He was dislike immensely in Boston.

There might not be any fire to that smoke, but I suspect our FO has better insight into than we do.

30-year-old with a career .805 OPS coming off the best 60-game streak of his career in the middle of a NYC pennant race. Sounds like a great way to pay 6- or 7-win prices for a 3-win player's decline phase.

Not to mention he has two seasons with OBPs at or below .300, which is a constant source of frustration around these parts. Actually, he and the much-maligned Adam Jones have the same career OBP (.319).

I've read he was chain smoking in the tunnel during BP w the Mets.

He was playing golf on the WS game day.

He was dislike immensely in Boston.

There might not be any fire to that smoke, but I suspect our FO has better insight into than we do.

Chain smoking as opposed to chain dipping?

Golf on WS day... apparently he plays a lot of golf prior to night games and talks openly about it.

The list of people disliked in Boston is long.

There's smoke everywhere...

Archived