Why I would rather sign Alex Gordon than Chris Davis

mdbdotcom

I don't think so. All the Mariners could get for Trumbo was Steve Clevenger. What do you think he would return for the O's? I'd rather give him a shot at hitting 30 HR for us.

Also, regarding item #1, while they may be "redundant defensively" in that they both play 1B as their best position (Davis is passable at COF and can fill in at 3B in a pinch, while Trumbo is considered not good in the OF), they could both be in the lineup at 1B & DH at this point. There is nobody else on the roster who demands that spot. Paredes is one option and Wieters will likely play there sometimes when Caleb catches, but I see no reason that they cannot co-exist.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, regarding item #1, while they may be "redundant defensively" in that they both play 1B as their best position (Davis is passable at COF and can fill in at 3B in a pinch, while Trumbo is considered not good in the OF), they could both be in the lineup at 1B & DH at this point. There is nobody else on the roster who demands that spot. Paredes is one option and Wieters will likely play there sometimes when Caleb catches, but I see no reason that they cannot co-exist.
I think Matt can pinch hit when he does not start.

As I asked in another thread, if we re-sign Davis, does he DH? Maybe they take turns. Would be a potent 1-2 punch.

Interesting point there. It obviously depends on how confident that one is in Mancini's ability to translate his success at the high levels of the minors (Advanced-A and AA so far for him) to the majors in 2017 and beyond.

If Davis signs, then DD will trade Mancini for a pitcher.

I think Matt can pinch hit when he does not start.

Sure. I was just running through guys who could have any sort of ongoing claim (or potential to play consistently) at that position. It seems to me that it's relatively unoccupied so there is more than enough room for both Davis AND Trumbo at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I asked in another thread, if we re-sign Davis, does he DH? Maybe they take turns. Would be a potent 1-2 punch.

I think if you pay Chris in excess of $100M, then you let him play 1B more often than not. That said, the Os stand to benefit from Trumbo showing value at 1B (outside chance of being a QO candidate). If guess they'd play something like a 120-40 split at 1B and Trumbo might get ten games or so at COF. More of actually does well, less if he's terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be happy with any one of Davis, Upton, Gordon, or Cespedes. Any one of them.

Now, having said that, I am definitely hoping that the Orioles sign Davis. There are several reasons, including that it would go over very well in the clubhouse, and his left-handed power bat would fit perfectly into the lineup we have constructed thus far. The primary reason, however, is that, based on what was said at Fanfest, it doesn't seem likely that the money necessary to sign one of the others will be made available, should we not sign Davis. Given that clear message, my hopes are strongly invested in signing Davis. I don't want to end up with none of them.

There is a reported low-ball offer from KC to Gordon, and I've seen suggestions that we marginally top that rumored offer. Frankly, I don't think a 4/$60 million offer, or the like, is remotely close to what it would take to get him. Sure extend the offer, if you like, but come on, do we really think that we can land Gordon for that? No, my best guess is that Davis is our best shot.

Ok, he won't be able to get one who is ready to pitch in the major leagues. Better?

He will get the Kim/Trumbo version of a pitcher or a high level minor leaguer that his scouts really like. Not a big name prospect, but someone with a shot at being pretty good.

Archived