He's baaaaaaack (Avery)

Beef Supreme

Orioles signed OF Xavier Avery to a minor league contract.

It's unclear if the deal will include an invite to big league camp. The 25-year-old outfielder was drafted by the Orioles in 2008 and played in the organization until he moved on to Seattle midway through the 2013 season. He hit .282/.343/.382 with six homers, 52 RBIs and 19 stolen bases between Triple-A Toledo and Triple-A Sacramento.

Never know - he might make the club.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beef supreme with the triple whopper with bacon attack. With the Davis thread right on top of this one you had me fooled.

I as well thought Davis had signed with the O's. The first thought it my mind from seeing the title was, I haven't seen the exact contract terms yet but foolish decsion by the O's to sign him for the 150-154mill that was originally out there when nobody else publicly has thrown out a contract offer yet.

I remember the X man, wasn't aware he still plays baseball. Good for him.

It scares me to imagine the state of our team if he's playing in games. Doesn't seem like anything good would be going on

That's about where I fall with this. Unless the Orioles are so stacked that they envision him as a pinch-runner, I don't see what value he would bring. I can't stomach watching outfielders shot-put their throws. My opinion: he's not a baseball player.

I am surprised that some thought the title meant CD, My apologies. "He's baaaack" was meant in a mocking sort of way.

What the heck. Let's bring back Greg Miclat while we're at it.

IIRC SportsGuy called the Miclat-for-whomever* deal a mindless tragedy that only rubes and fools would consider and that was one of the straws that broke the camel's back for his presence here.

* Ah, yes, Taylor Teagarden

Edit: went back and found the thread, and, alas, no SG hyperbole. But there was a notable quote from someone saying "I can't imagine a scenario where Teagarden supplies more value than Henry and Miclat" and neither Henry nor Miclat ever appeared in the majors.

IIRC SportsGuy called the Miclat-for-whomever* deal a mindless tragedy that only rubes and fools would consider and that was one of the straws that broke the camel's back for his presence here.

* Ah, yes, Taylor Teagarden

Edit: went back and found the thread, and, alas, no SG hyperbole. But there was a notable quote from someone saying "I can't imagine a scenario where Teagarden supplies more value than Henry and Miclat" and neither Henry nor Miclat ever appeared in the majors.

Orioles acquire Teagarden

Always fun to go back and read these. I was pretty high on Teagarden.

Baseball is such a fascinating game. Teagarden was a 2-time BA top-100 prospect with very good minor league numbers (.864 OPS), who never amounted to much (0.4 rWAR in 180 games spread out over 8 years). Caleb Joseph was an organizational guy who turned himself into a decent major league player (3.4 rWAR in 182 games over two years). It's amazing how hard it is to tell who is going to make the transition.

Archived