webbrick2010's Mike Leake threads

webbrick2010

have signed Mike Leake

5yrs/80 million for an extreme GB innings eating pitcher with no injury issues and no loss of a draft pick

Cardinals are so well run

Nobody else makes any sense for the O's

Hopefully we won't waste money on Gallardo or Kazmir

Save the money, we are losing 90 games no matter what we do for the rest of the offseason (and that includes wasting a boatload on Davis)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leake would have been a great deal.

Your constant hyperbole is annoying.

Is Leake worth what he got? No free agent is ever worth what they get. This is why player development is crucial to the health of the franchise. You can't have it both ways, you cannot fail to develop players, trade the very few players that you happen to develop, then one about the price of free agents. Everyone knows that you're not going to get value on the free agent market. If you are GM of a team like the Orioles fail to develop players you have failed as a GM. Even if had we kept the guys we traded, the development record under Dan is not very good. This is my greatest concern for the Orioles moving forward. If they don't want to pay market prices for players, they better figure out how to develop players other than the ones too good to mess up. If they don't, it's going to be a rough time. I would much rather Dan be honest and say we do not have the resources to compete on the open market and will need to rebuild, then to feed us fluff, about what they want to do, then come back complaining about the cost of it, when anybody with half a brain could have predicted that cost. I could live with a rebuilding team far more that I can a team constructed to possibly win if a gazillion things break the right way.

have signed Mike Leake

5yrs/80 million for an extreme GB innings eating pitcher with no injury issues and no loss of a draft pick

Save the money, we are losing 90 games no matter what we do for the rest of the offseason (and that includes wasting a boatload on Davis)

How much higher than 5/80 would you have gone? Or do you think NL FAs would prefer Bal to StL with the money being equal.

I would have gone after him though.

I don't understand why you constantly look at things with Orange colored glasses. 90 losses? Pssh. It's obvious to every realist that this team won't win 40 games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have signed Mike Leake

I agree, the Phillies are going to lose 90 this season.

Appealing as a backend starter, until the figures got to 5/80.

Again, just my own opinion.

I don't see him as a backend starter. He's roughly equivalent to Chen, but younger. I had predicted 5/$80 mm for Chen earlier this offseason, but now I think he may get a little more.

How much higher than 5/80 would you have gone? Or do you think NL FAs would prefer Bal to StL with the money being equal.

I would have gone after him though.

I don't understand why you constantly look at things with Orange colored glasses. 90 losses? Pssh. It's obvious to every realist that this team won't win 40 games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this team is much better then a 40 win team. That would be historically bad. This team has enough talent and a good enough managerto not be historically bad. Last place in the AL East certainly at this point that prospect feels closer to reality, been contemplating this team as constructed as a legitimate threat to make the playoffs.

My greatest frustration with the Orioles is not any one decision, in most cases you can make a reasonable argument for why they acted the way they did. My frustration is the body of work. The Orioles always manage to come up just short. If the Orioles missed out on Leake but sign another credible starter, I would be fine with that. Historically though we don't do that. Let's see how this all plays out but I'm starting to wonder just what player the Orioles think has value that actually cost something? It feels like this is headed in the direction where we sign whatever anyone else did not want and then go on complaining about how much the guys we did want costs.

I don't see him as a backend starter. He's roughly equivalent to Chen, but younger. I had predicted 5/$80 mm for Chen earlier this offseason, but now I think he may get a little more.

The numbers that I have seen you throw out 4 free agents, have been pretty spot on. Any chance Dan Duquette could get your phone number prior to next offseason so he has a clue what players actually cost? Of course I'm being facetious, but the price of players is no excuse for not delivering what Dan said he would.

Archived