webbrick2010's Mike Leake threads

webbrick2010

All of this is why you don't trade a Zach Davies for a two month rental on a .500 team going no where. Look at what back end rotation pieces cost. The Davies deal was the worse deal Duquette has made so far and one a team with the Orioles payroll expectations should not make.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of this is why you don't trade a Zach Davies for a two month rental on a .500 team going no where. Look at what back end rotation pieces cost. The Davies deal was the worse deal Duquette has made so far and one a team with the Orioles payroll expectations should not make.

But Tony, haven't you heard, the Orioles were 2 games off the pace to get into a play-in game.

Look at what back end rotation pieces cost.

Leake's deal is what they could cost if you're a GM who's convinced himself that you have to pay free agent rates for 1-2 win pitchers, and lock that in for five years. Or you could just go get a guy out of the general mold of Miguel Gonzalez for a one-year commitment of about $5M. And then do that again every year. You certainly don't have to pay anything like 5/80 for a typical #4 or #5 starter with a 90-100 ERA+ and the ability to pitch 150 innings a year.

But Tony, haven't you heard, the Orioles were 2 games off the pace to get into a play-in game.

Giving up would have been much more satisfying. Sure, trying to have meaningful September games is good and all. But where it's really at it is marginally increasing the odds of meaningful September games several years down the road.

It depends a bit on your opinion of Davies. especially in comparison with Wilson and Wright. If you think Davies is clearly the best of those three and is likely to stick at the back of a major league rotation, then it is a lousy trade. If you think Davies has less potential than Wilson and Wright, or that it is a toss-up, and that his ability to stick at the back of a rotation is debatable, then the trade becomes more palatable. I was against the trade, in part because I trust your evaluations of Orioles prospects. But there are those who are less bullish on Davies. And we were in the playoff hunt at the time, though I'd say the odds weren't great. In any event, the deal didn't work out well at all.

It take the O's weeks to work out deals for ...... O'day and even a chump change 7 million dollar contract for Kim

What is wrong with this organization.

They got both of them done.

Why should it matter long it took them?

You act as though the front office should be concerned about your personal whims and anxieties.

They got both of them done.

Why should it matter long it took them?

You act as though the front office should be concerned about your personal whims and anxieties.

Think of all of the December games these two missed while the FO fooled around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. That move was the worst, although closely followed by the Webb/draft pick salary dump.

I'm usually positive...and I'm not just saying this with hindsight. It is definitely not the worse deal he has made.

Giving up Hader, ERod, and Arrieta were worse. Matter of fact though hindsight will not be kind to this giving up Delmonico for FRod was not the greatest.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

It depends a bit on your opinion of Davies. especially in comparison with Wilson and Wright. If you think Davies is clearly the best of those three and is likely to stick at the back of a major league rotation, then it is a lousy trade. If you think Davies has less potential than Wilson and Wright, or that it is a toss-up, and that his ability to stick at the back of a rotation is debatable, then the trade becomes more palatable. I was against the trade, in part because I trust your evaluations of Orioles prospects. But there are those who are less bullish on Davies. And we were in the playoff hunt at the time, though I'd say the odds weren't great. In any event, the deal didn't work out well at all.

With the attrition rate you see in young starters I would have rather held onto all three.

Leake's deal is what they could cost if you're a GM who's convinced himself that you have to pay free agent rates for 1-2 win pitchers, and lock that in for five years. Or you could just go get a guy out of the general mold of Miguel Gonzalez for a one-year commitment of about $5M. And then do that again every year. You certainly don't have to pay anything like 5/80 for a typical #4 or #5 starter with a 90-100 ERA+ and the ability to pitch 150 innings a year.

But how many bums do you have to cycle through at the back end of the rotation before you hit on a Miguel Gonzalez or a Wei-Yin? We got very lucky to acquire both in the same year. If Miggy was a free agent, he would be getting a three year deal at least, possibly even the same deal Ubaldo got or higher. Why? Because he's a relatively known quantity. For every Miguel there's ten other backend guys that are completely useless.

But how many bums do you have to cycle through at the back end of the rotation before you hit on a Miguel Gonzalez or a Wei-Yin? We got very lucky to acquire both in the same year. If Miggy was a free agent, he would be getting a three year deal at least, possibly even the same deal Ubaldo got or higher. Why? Because he's a relatively known quantity. For every Miguel there's ten other backend guys that are completely useless.

I disagree that you need to go through 11 back-end rotation candidates to find an acceptable one without paying free agent rates.

What if you want more than 150 IP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if you want more than 150 IP?

In my opinion there's little justification for paying an additional $75M in total commitment to get "more than 150 IP" out of your back-end starters. I don't understand why you'd allocate resources that way, it seems very inefficient.

Obviously since Leake's contract exists that's not a unanimous view.

In my opinion there's little justification for paying an additional $75M in total commitment to get "more than 150 IP" out of your back-end starters. I don't understand why you'd allocate resources that way, it seems very inefficient.

Obviously since Leake's contract exists that's not a unanimous view.

I think it's more a product of the fact that #4 starters are not readily available on 1-year $5 MM contracts as you insinuate. If they were, teams wouldn't be spending $75MM on Leake.

If you can accurately predict which unproven/broken/rehabbing/aging/whatever asset is going to outperform expectations and give you 2-3 wins worth of production, absolutely do that. Otherwise, you either pay for a little more track record/certainty or you roll the dice and hope your process gets you the pieces you need to be competitive, realizing you could end up wasting $15-20 MM on riskier propositions that give you next to nothing.

Obviously the Orioles front office has seen both sides of that coin...

Archived