Projected Opening Day Payroll 2016 Orioles -- Up to the Moment

AZRon

Projected 2016 Orioles Opening Day Payroll --With Pedro Alvarez For all of those who speculate on this information, here's the current projected opening day team payroll. I'm dealing only with the "active" roster; but the O's will have pay obligations for players on the 40 man roster. I'll try to keep this up to date through opening day (all help appreciated). To be on this list, the player must:

• Be on the 40 man roster and
  • Be under major league contract or
  • Be without remaining options or
  • Have had MLB playing time in 2015

All of the latest transactions are included. Projections for those under contract are from the Baseball Prospectus Compensation Website. Salaries are displayed as rounded to the nearest $10k, and the total payroll is accurate to 2 decimal places.

For pre-arb players, I've been unable to locate public "auto-renewal" information; so, I've assumed the minimum. There was no inflation adjustment in the minimum salary for 2016; so, it remains at $507,500.

I provide this information so that we can make accurate and useful comparisons to the opening day payrolls of the Orioles in previous years, other MLB teams and the total for Major League Baseball. As with virtually all team payroll tabulations on the web, my total payroll figure does not reflect any deductions for deferred salaries or additions for set-asides for deferrals from the previous year (as required by the MLBPA). However, I have noted the contract deferrals in the right-most column of the below chart.

As of this post, the Orioles projected payroll is $150.00M. That exceeds last year's figure by 26.1% and is the largest increase during Dan Duquette's tenure. It is also the 4th consecutive annual increase and represents a gain of 70.5% since he assumed his duties in November, 2011.

The roster, as shown here, lists 25 players -- 13 position players and 12 pitchers.

Ron, just a reminder that Opening Day is a few days away.

Have there been any happenings/adjustments over the last 2 and-a-half weeks in regard to the payroll?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ron, just a reminder that Opening Day is a few days away.

Have there been any happenings/adjustments over the last 2 and-a-half weeks in regard to the payroll?

Thanks -- I'll update the chart when the opening day active roster is announced.

Here is what I have:

2016 Payroll Estimate

1) 23m Davis - 1B

2) 16 Jones - CF

3) 15.8m Wieters - C

4) 13m Jimenez - SP1

5) 12.5m Hardy - SS

6) 9.15m Trumbo - DH/COF

7) 9m Gallardo - SP2

8) 6.75m Britton - RP1

9) 6.225m Tillman - SP3

10) 6m O'Day - RP2

11) 5.75m P Alvarez - DH

12) 5m Machado - 3B -option

13) 3.9m Matusz - RP3 (DL)

14) 2.8m Kim - LF

15) 2.6m Worley - RP4

16) 2.05m Bundy - RP7

17) 1.5m Flaherty - UIF/COF -option

18) 1.5m Vladimir Guerrero (deferred compensation)

19) 1.3m Reimold - OF

20) 1.254m Gonzalez (released)

21) 1.25m Brach - RP5

22) .72m Roe - (Outrighted to AAA)*

23) .532m Gausman - SP4 (DL) ?option

24) .5235m Joseph - BC -option

25) .5225m Schoop - 2B -option

26) .52m Paredes - (DL)

27) .5115m Givens - RP6 -option

28) .5105m Wright - SP5 ? option

29) .51m Phillips - (outrighted to AAA)*

29) .5075m Rickard - LF

30) .045m Wilson (prorated .5115m salary, 16 days) option

31) .014m McFarland (prorated .5235m salary, 5 days) option

Sub Total 150.0155m of earned salary(*not included)

Minus 6m deferred from Davis

Minus 2.25m deferred from Jimenez

Minus 2.5m deferred from Gallardo

Minus 2.2m deferred from Hardy(best guess)

Minus 1M deferred from O'Day

Subtotal -13.95m

Total 136.0655m salaries to be paid in 2016 (*not included)

*Major league salary on minor league contract.

1.23m (Roe and Phillips)

Grand total 137.2955m

Depends on what you are trying to track.

Are you trying to track what the players earned in a year. Then deferral are not important.

If you are trying to track how much the club in paying out in a year, deferral are important.

The O's have a budget. Most every club does. They don't disclose it to the public. The O's have decided to defer money to try to stay within their budget.

Currently the O's will not payout 150m this year. They are closer to 137m.

Depends on what you are trying to track.

Are you trying to track what the players earned in a year. Then deferral are not important.

If you are trying to track how much the club in paying out in a year, deferral are important.

The O's have a budget. Most every club does. They don't disclose it to the public. The O's have decided to defer money to try to stay within their budget.

Currently the O's will not payout 150m this year. They are closer to 137m.

Not trying to track anything. Trying to evaluate the spending in the accepted format. To compare with other teams. Not what we can expect the team to spend in the future.

Not trying to track anything. Trying to evaluate the spending in the accepted format. To compare with other teams. Not what we can expect the team to spend in the future.

Then I agree deferrals don't matter for you unless someone is tracking the deferrals for the other team(s) you are comparing the O's to.

I am trying to track how much the O's spend year to year. Deferrals are important in that comparison.

I like the AAV method because it's simpler and easier. I believe MLB goes by that. 148.57M That's 30M more than last year's OD payroll.

Can you provide a link to any website that uses the average annual value of a player's multi-year contract in tabulating the opening day team payroll?

Thanks

Archived