Thoughts about opt-out clauses?

Frobby

Probably because they don't want Kazmir for more than one year. He gives them stability in the rotation,something that shouldn't be an issue in 2017 when 4 additional starters are scheduled to pitch from day one. Not to mention that they'll probably land Strasburg to slide behind Kershaw.

Exactly. At least in this specific case, the opt out has a very clear purpose for the Dodgers.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The odds of a contract with an opt out being favorable to a club are very small. None of the options that it affords are in the club's favor. That does not mean that luck can't make it work out in a positive manner for a club. It's just not set up to go that way.

Exactly. At least in this specific case, the opt out has a very clear purpose for the Dodgers.

Unless Kazmir sucks, of course, or his arm goes south, as the Dodgers have ALL the risk. Opt outs are players being allowed to have long term guaranteed pay for past performance AND to return to the market whenever they choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The players association needs to accept all provisions that are placed within the contracts of players within the Union. This is the reason that I do not see a chance for Owners to ever be able to get a player’s contract through the Union that has a provision within it that allows a ball club from paying FULL VALUE of a signed agreement/contract. With that said, there will be no “OPT OUTS” for owners.

"Opt outs for teams are called team options. "

Usually associated with a certain percentage of dollars to buyout the option that is not secured. Also they are usually for a single added season. Seldom do players "Buy Out" an option with dollars and NEVER have they had to "BUY OUT" an "Opt Out".

Usually associated with a certain percentage of dollars to buyout the option that is not secured. Also they are usually for a single added season. Seldom do players "Buy Out" an option with dollars and NEVER have they had to "BUY OUT" an "Opt Out".

It is the way the collectively bargained agreement works.

Unions are wonderful institutions.

Unions are wonderful institutions.

The owners have already been found guilty of collusion. Maybe the minor leagues should be cut loose and all players not on a 40 man roster and part of the union able to sign where they wish and join the union if they choose.

Duquette has it right. You can't guarantee ll those years and dollarat the risk of a player getting injured or regressing while giving the player an opt out after a couple years. That is just a win win for the player.if the player believes in himself and wants to test thearket again, then make it a mutual option or just sign a two year deal. I predict one of these deals will go south and this won't be the trend any more.

Duquette has it right. You can't guarantee ll those years and dollarat the risk of a player getting injured or regressing while giving the player an opt out after a couple years. That is just a win win for the player.if the player believes in himself and wants to test thearket again, then make it a mutual option or just sign a two year deal. I predict one of these deals will go south and this won't be the trend any more.

Vernon Wells

Its not about a deal going south. The downside of a bad deal is the same with or without the opt out. Would the Ryan Howard deal be any worse if he had an opt out after year 2 or 3?

I agree with you, I was just showing how a deal with an opt out has already "gone south". Folks are acting like these types of contract provisions just started this offseason.

It is about risk/reward.

The team isn't forced to hand out the opt outs.

They choose to accept the higher risk.

They think it is worth it.

Dodgers did fine with Grienke.

Yankees could have done fine with Sabathia and Arod.

Only player I can think of that really cratered after signing one of these deals is Wells, and the signing team still managed to unload the contract.

Every decision is about risk/reward. The Dodgers lost Greinke and tried to resign him for a larger contract than what he would have gotten if he didn't opt out..

Dude I'm not sure what the bullet point is when you say teams choose to accept the higher risk. I know this...my argument quite simply is it is by far more beneficial to the player.

Your criteria for working out seems to be..well the player signed another contract with another team...which isn't really a good definition of "working out".

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Its not about a deal going south. The downside of a bad deal is the same with or without the opt out. Would the Ryan Howard deal be any worse if he had an opt out after year 2 or 3?

No. And the possible upside for the club was removed. Even if it was improbable. You get to gamble but if you win you get what you paid for. If you lose, you lose treble damages.

It's the long term contract that's stupid in most cases, unless the player is a young super star type like Many/Harper/Trout. etc. A long term contract will almost always go south. So IMO the opt out gives you a chance to avoid paying for poor production at the back end.

Every decision is about risk/reward. The Dodgers lost Greinke and tried to resign him for a larger contract than what he would have gotten if he didn't opt out..

Dude I'm not sure the bullet point is when you say teams choose to accept the higher risk. I know this...my argument quite simply is it is by far more beneficial to the player.

Your criteria for working out seems to be..well the player signed another contract with another team...which isn't really a good definition of "working out".

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

These very affluent clubs don't need to win on a deal. Just get what they pay for. The Orioles unfortunately have to make good decisions. And they haven't always.

Archived