2015 NCAA Title Game, 2016 Title Game Rematch, 2018 Title Game Rubber Match

OFFNY

Oklahoma and Michigan State looked like two teams that didn't belong in the Final Four. A better system is needed. Every year we have blowouts at this point whereas we should have competitive games. This Selection Committee seems clueless .. as bad if not worse than it is in basketball.

Both Oklahoma and Michigan State deserved to be there. Certainly no other teams stand out as being more deserving. They just got beat. The best two teams in college football this year will be playing for the championship.

Oklahoma and Michigan State looked like two teams that didn't belong in the Final Four. A better system is needed. Every year we have blowouts at this point whereas we should have competitive games. This Selection Committee seems clueless .. as bad if not worse than it is in basketball.

Every year???

As in twice? Wasn't one of the games a 7 point game last year?

Who should have taken their place this year?

birdwatcher55 said:

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, there is a larger problem which continues to not be address by Division I-A college football.

Division I-AA, Division II, and Division III college football all have had 16-team playoffs (and now, 24-team playoffs) since the 1973, which is what Division I-A football should have always had, and never has. College basketball has a 68-team playoff for 300-plus teams, and although every year there are complaints about teams being "snubbed", those complaints and critiques pale in comparison to the ludicrous and unjust system of Division I-A football (in which teams that are ranked #4, #5, #6, #7, etc don't get a chance to play for the national title.

And they choose to continue to do what they do. The 4-team playoff is only slightly better than the BCS, which was only slightly better than the previous system .......... which was horrible in the first place. Making slight improvements every 20 years or so isn't going to cut it if you are trying to establish your product as having a legitimate playoff system, and subsequent crowning of your champion.

With 16 teams in the playoffs, you could have 5 automatic bids from the major conferences, and 11 at-large bids. There would be very little controversy as compared to now. An undefeated team from a middle-tier or lower-tier conference (such as the University of Houston and Boise State) would be in the playoffs. They would probably have a lousy seed (perhaps a 13-seed or a 14-seed) and have to play against a very tough team in the first round (a 3-seed or a 4-seed), but at least they would be in it and have a chance, which is the most important thing. And since at least 3 or 4 of the major conference champions that got automatic bids would have made the playoffs anyway, it would ensure that every team that was ranked in the Top-10 would make the playoffs every year, without fail ...... which is the way that it should be when you have 130 teams in your classification throughout the nation.

But instead of this, we get to see ....... 70 teams in bowl games. 70 out of 128. That's more than half of the teams across the nation, and it includes teams with losing records such as my Nebraska Cornhuskers, who actually were invited to a bowl game this season with a 5-7 record. I would much rather see deserving teams like 11-1 Ohio State, 12-1 Iowa, 10-2 Stanford, 10-2 Notre Dame, etc. at least get a chance to be in the playoffs than see 5-7 Nebraska play UCLA in the Who Cares? bowl, and/or see Louisiana Tech play Arkansas State in the Who Cares Even Less? bowl.

o

OFFNY said:

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, there is a larger problem which continues to not be address by Division I-A college football.

Division I-AA, Division II, and Division III college football all have had 16-team playoffs (and now, 24-team playoffs) since the 1973, which is what Division I-A football should have always had, and never has. College basketball has a 68-team playoff for 300-plus teams, and although every year there are complaints about teams being "snubbed",those complaints and critiques pale in comparison to the ludicrous and unjust system of Division I-A football (in which teams that are ranked #4, #5, #6, #7, etc don't get a chance to play for the national title.

And they choose to continue to do what they do. The 4-team playoff is only slightly better than the BCS, which was only slightly better than the previous system .......... which was horrible in the first place. Making slight improvements every 20 years or so isn't going to cut it if you are trying to establish your product as having a legitimate playoff system, and subsequent crowning of your champion.

With 16 teams in the playoffs, you could have 5 automatic bids from the major conferences, and 11 at-large bids. There would be very little controversy as compared to now.An undefeated team from a middle-tier or lower-tier conference (such as the University of Houston and Boise State) would be in the playoffs. They would probably have a lousy seed (perhaps a 13-seed or a 14-seed) and have to play against a very tough team in the first round (a 3-seed or a 4-seed), but at least they would be in it and have a chance, which is the most important thing. And since at least 3 or 4 of the major conference champions that got automatic bids would have made the playoffs anyway, it would ensure that every team that was ranked in the Top-10 would make the playoffs every year, without fail ...... which is the way that it should be when you have 130 teams in your classification throughout the nation.

But instead of this, we get to see ....... 70 teams in bowl games. 70 out of 128. That's more than half of the teams across the nation, and it includes teams with losing records such as my Nebraska Cornhuskers, who actually were invited to a bowl game this season with a 5-7 record. I would much rather see deserving teams like 11-1 Ohio State, 12-1 Iowa, 10-2 Stanford, 10-2 Notre Dame, etc. at least get a chance to be in the playoffs than see 5-7 Nebraska play UCLA in the Who Cares? bowl, and/or see Louisiana Tech play Arkansas State in the Who Cares Even Less? bowl.

o

o

P.S. ) They could cut the current 12-game regular season back down to 11 games (as they currently have in Division I-AA, Division-II, and Division-III) with a 16-team playoff system.

o

You're the Skip Bayless of this board.

o

A big officiating mistake right before halftime cost Clemson at least 1 play, and possibly 3 points.

They had a first down just inside the Alabama 30-yardline, and the clock never stopped ...... and because of that, Dabo Swinney had to use his final time out. And subsequently, they had to try a field goal attempt right there, instead of having at least 1 more play to try to get closer.

I don't like the rule about the clock stopping on a first down in college football ...... but it is the rule, and both teams get to play according to it.

o

• 11 months later...

o

Alabama was 2-for-15 on 3rd downs tonight. One of those misses was when they got 15 yards on 3rd and 16 late in the 4th quarter, which set them up for a very makeable 4th down and 1, so that is slightly deceptive. Still, even if you give them that one and call it 3-for-15, that is still awful for a 3rd down conversion ratio. It takes a lot to over come something like that and still win the game.

Also, Clemson had a huge time of possession advantage. Ask any college or pro football defense if time of possession matters when the 4th quarter comes around, and I'm sure that they would all attest that it does.

o

o

By the way, Jalen Hurts' 30-yard scramble for a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to give Alabama the lead with only 2 minutes left to play reminded me of Ken Stabler's 30-yard scramble for a touchdown with just over a minute left to play in the Raiders' 1972 divisional playoff game against the Steelers ...... little did anyone know that shortly afterward, Franco Harris would catch a ball that careened off of Jack Tatum and race into the end zone for the winning touchdown, in what became known as "The Immaculate Reception."

o

Archived