Dan's Lap

Ven6

Two years ago, Ubaldo and Nellie fell into it, for better or worse. Actually, for the better IMO. Cruz was a beast and Ubaldo's deal doesn't look bad today, a testament to Dan's opportunistic style.

It's hard to imagine a starting pitcher showing up in Dan's lap this offseason. But for sluggers, I'm starting to think the wait and see long play approach just might yield a hitter at a good price. It's painful for us fans, but it's the game within the game during the ol' Hot Stove Season.

MLBtraderumors and other press sites always group "the outfielders" together and cite Cespedes, Gordon and Upton. But I think the group should be "hitters, impact" and include Davis. Four big hitters, and to my count, perhaps not 4 obvious landing spots.

The Mets need a bat, but they're out. Quite possibly the worst decision of the offseason. They are looking at 4 or 5 number one pitchers, all under team control, and desperately needed to augment the team with hitting to take advantage of this unique window. But they're blowing it.

The White Sox are in, but only at 3 years as of now.

The Angels have professed "no luxury tax" and seem to be holding true to that.

The Giants have a big need for a bat, but they have spent big (285 million guaranteed) on 2 pitchers and a Crawford extension. Do they have a lot more in the coffers? Let's say that do. That's one team in line for one of the four.

The Astros have been linked to adding a bat, but most sources have them done spending for the offseason.

The Royals are in the OF market, but probably end up with Alex Rios or something similar.

The Tigers, like they are prone to do, are said to be waiting in the weeds. They could be the second team.

But it's hard to come up with a third team, and certainly I don't see 4.

You also have the Reds, Braves and Rockies trying to move OFers. Plus add in the next tier guys like Fowler and Span.

So, we just might be looking at more supply than demand at this point.

Which means prices should drop.

Right into Dan's Lap. With any of the 4 big guns remaining.

I'll take any of them. Go get er don....I mean, wait it out, Dan.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Texas

San Francisco

Detroit

LA Angels TV

Kansas City

Houston

Chicago WS

St. Louis

The problem is that everyone likes a bargain. Cruz was coming off a PD suspension and his stock wasn't particularly high.

I'm not suggesting a Cruz-like bargain. But I am suggesting prices lower than most predictions. Of your list, perhaps you can add St Louis. And as I said, maybe SF and Detroit. But none of them are slam dunks to spend big on one of the 4, which could lead to 3 or 4 year deals, and/or deals south of 100 million. All which could mean great value to be had.

As soon as one of these guys is signed that sets the bar for the rest. If e.g. Cespedes signs for say 5/90 M with SF, then Gordon's price will come within KC's range and they will sign him because that's where he wants to play. Upton's price will come down from the 7/150 he's been asking to just a bit more than Cespedes'.

Waiting certainly hasn't hurt us much as far as hitting goes. All the bats are still out there. I think when we look back we will be wishing we had gotten a pitcher though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Any of the pitchers that could have represented an upgrade over Chen are now gone. We were .500 last year in large part due to the pitching and I don't see us doing better than that with anyone currently available, including Chen.

I agree. Any of the pitchers that could have represented an upgrade over Chen are now gone. We were .500 last year in large part due to the pitching and I don't see us doing better than that with anyone currently available, including Chen.
I think Gausman can replace Chen's production. No matter who we would have signed, even Price, if Gonzo and Tillman don't bounce back it won't matter. We need that to happen and we need to sign an upgrade over Norris, which shouldn't be too hard. Wilson might even be that..

96 wins is 96 wins. Only one team can win the World Series every year, but that doesn't mean the Orioles didn't have a great year in 2014.

Yes but it's hard to be that team if you can't stop the other team from scoring. That starts with good pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As soon as one of these guys is signed that sets the bar for the rest. If e.g. Cespedes signs for say 5/90 M with SF, then Gordon's price will come within KC's range and they will sign him because that's where he wants to play. Upton's price will come down from the 7/150 he's been asking to just a bit more than Cespedes'.

But, but, but...if Gordon's price comes down, Dan can be a player for him. If Cespedes is getting 5/90, Dan should be in on that. If Upton's prices comes down as you suggest, again, good, yes and we'll take one please.

Archived