Assistant Hitting Coach (Mark Quinn)

weams

I hope and pray Tejada never wears Orioles uniform again he was the culprit with Raffy and the tainted B12 shot... He was on the Mitchelle report and he later tested positive himself....

A couple of things:

1. The O's organization forgave Miggy pretty quickly. He was re-signed here for the 2010 season, long after Raffygate (2005), the Mitchell report (2007), and pleading guilty to lying to Congress and admitting to having purchased HGH (2009). And that move was very popular with the fans at the time.

2. You can choose to believe Raffy's story that his positive drug test came from taking a tainted B-12 shot from Tejada, but I view that story with a lot of skepticism. Ask yourself this: if Miggy was taking the same B-12 shots, why did he never test positive (see below)? Why did Jose Canseco accuse Raffy of using steroids when he played for Texas?

3. Miggy never tested positive. He was caught having purchased some HGH in an incident unrelated to the Orioles or Palmeiro. http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3899481

Anyway, it is clear Miggy is no saint, but if that didn't deter the Orioles from re-signing him as a player, it certainly would not deter them from hiring him as an assistant hitting coach.

With all that said, I seriously doubt the O's would think Miggy would be the right guy for this particular job, and I'm not particularly interested in seeing a guy who was a very undisciplined hitter as the assistant hitting coach.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if it might be Ryan Minor, who has been a hitting coach and currently already in the organization.

Interesting. Although, Ryan has a nice house and family here in Salisbury, so he may not be interested. He liked it here enough to move back when he retired. Then again, money talks and its a chance to get back in Baltimore.

A couple of things:

1. The O's organization forgave Miggy pretty quickly. He was re-signed here for the 2010 season, long after Raffygate (2005), the Mitchell report (2007), and pleading guilty to lying to Congress and admitting to having purchased HGH (2009). And that move was very popular with the fans at the time.

2. You can choose to believe Raffy's story that his positive drug test came from taking a tainted B-12 shot from Tejada, but I view that story with a lot of skepticism. Ask yourself this: if Miggy was taking the same B-12 shots, why did he never test positive (see below)? Why did Jose Canseco accuse Raffy of using steroids when he played for Texas?

3. Miggy never tested positive. He was caught having purchased some HGH in an incident unrelated to the Orioles or Palmeiro. http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3899481

Anyway, it is clear Miggy is no saint, but if that didn't deter the Orioles from re-signing him as a player, it certainly would not deter them from hiring him as an assistant hitting coach.

With all that said, I seriously doubt the O's would think Miggy would be the right guy for this particular job, and I'm not particularly interested in seeing a guy who was a very undisciplined hitter as the assistant hitting coach.

Thank you.

Interesting. Although, Ryan has a nice house and family here in Salisbury, so he may not be interested. He liked it here enough to move back when he retired. Then again, money talks and its a chance to get back in Baltimore.

I agree, but at some point, if he wants to move up the organization, he needs to think about Bowie, Norfolk, or the Parent club, unless he is just totally happy there and I suspect parts of him, is content there, at Single A.

Almost all the teams now have two hitting coaches.

Did not realize that two hitting coaches have been around since at least 2003.

Walker was stationed at the forefront of the dual-hitting-coach movement when he had an assistant, Mike Gellinger, while with the White Sox from 2003-11. That experience has prompted Walker to say he won't do the job any other way, something he told the Braves when he interviewed for their position last offseason.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/40363276/

What is his philosophy as a hitting coach? Maybe he didn't have the ability to walk, didn't have that combination of hand-eye-coordination and instant pitch recognition that allows one to tell a ball from a strike, but knows that's a productive thing to cultivate in others. As we've discussed endlessly about Crowley and Presley I think it's wrong to assume that a person's traits as a player automatically become what they teach as a coach. Sometimes a player's career becomes a cautionary tale later in life. Billy Beane essentially Costanza'd his playing career as a GM - everything he did as a player was wrong, so the exact opposite had to be right.

I agree, but at some point, if he wants to move up the organization, he needs to think about Bowie, Norfolk, or the Parent club, unless he is just totally happy there and I suspect parts of him, is content there, at Single A.

Speaking of Ryan, it's his 42nd birthday today. (Happy birthday Ryan!)

I think he's content here. He moved up to Frederick in 2014, but he came back home in 2015. I don't know if he was demoted or not, because the 2014 Keys didn't set the world on fire.

Milt Tompson or Mark Quinn per Roch www.masnsports.com

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/01/taking-a-closer-look-at-matusz-versus-bastardo.html

While we wait for the Orioles to reveal their new assistant hitting coach on Thursday, I've heard that former major league outfielders Milt Thompson and Mark Quinn were finalists for the job.

Five candidates were interviewed.

Thompson is a career .274/.335/.372 hitter in 13 major league seasons with six teams. He was the Phillies hitting coach during their 2008 championship season and again when they returned to the World Series in 2009. He was fired in July 2010, served as the Astros minor league outfield/baserunning coordinator and spent the 2015 season as the Royals minor league outfield/baserunning/bunting coordinator.

Quinn spent four seasons with the Royals from 1999-2002 and batted .282/.324/.481. He finished third in Rookie of the Year voting in the American League in 2000. He currently owns a baseball academy in Houston

Archived