Assistant Hitting Coach (Mark Quinn)

weams

Oh I can't wait for the insanity. Isn't Quinn the guy who once was quoted, in maybe mid-June, as saying that he wanted to go the rest of the year without walking at all?

Edit: Couldn't find the quote but found numerous references to the Royals setting off fireworks when he broke a 241-PA walkless streak.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I can't wait for the insanity. Isn't Quinn the guy who once was quoted, in maybe mid-June, as saying that he wanted to go the rest of the year without walking at all?

Edit: Couldn't find the quote but found numerous references to the Royals setting off fireworks when he broke a 241-PA walkless streak.

That's our guy!

OMG, they hired Quinn.

OMG, they hired Quinn.

Oh bother. I have no idea what kind of coach he will be, maybe he will use his own experiences as lessons in what not to do. But I am sure that many people here have already decided that he will forcefully impress upon every member of the organization the importance of swinging at everything you can reach and then some.

Oh bother. I have no idea what kind of coach he will be, maybe he will use his own experiences as lessons in what not to do. But I am sure that many people here have already decided that he will forcefully impress upon every member of the organization the importance of swinging at everything you can reach and then some.

In other words just keep doing what you are doing?

You know you didn't make a big impact on the game when you type Baseball Reference Quinn into Google and your name is the third hit.

56 walks in a little over a thousand at bats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/q/quinnma01.shtml

To be fair, there are Joe Quinn (regular 2B on the 1899 Cleveland Spiders and owner of a -43 run offensive season in '94) and Jack Quinn who debuted at 26 but still had a 23-year career. I think he was a spitballer.

I wonder how many guys finish top 3 in ROY voting and are out of the league three years later?

Many? Joe Charboneau, John Castino? Bob Hamelin? Fidrych. Pat Listach. Angel Berroa. Ken Hubbs. Butch Metzger. Those guys actually won. I guess some of them were technically active three years later.

Many? Joe Charboneau, John Castino? Bob Hamelin? Fidrych. Pat Listach. Angel Berroa. Ken Hubbs. Butch Metzger. Those guys actually won. I guess some of them were technically active three years later.

That is part of what I meant. I would have expected a three game stretch to show up one year, some little blip.

Have to admit I don't recall his career, was he derailed by injuries or just a late bloomer that declined quickly?

BTW Castino, Listach and Hamelin had six year careers (I know you were spitballing names). Berroa was nine years.

Quinn averaged 31 walks over a 162-game season. After drawing a free pass from Anaheim's Jarrod Washburn for his first unintentional walk in 242 consecutive plate appearances, Kauffman Stadium fireworks went off and the scoreboard flashed "Walk! Walk!"

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/01/mark-quinn-to-be-named-orioles-assistant-hitting-coach.html

Archived