Dexter Fowler?

FanSince88

Yeah, I'm not sure Fowler is the guy I'd want to give up the pick for, I was just speaking more generally about pick protection. For a guy like Upton, Davis, Gordon, etc. I wouldn't hesitate a moment.

Upton I would, but for Gordon I'd sell my soul for. Davis is done to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the pick. Although it is an interesting question. I mean, I would much rather give Fowler 3/36 and give up the #14 pick than give Gordon 4/72 and give up the #14 pick. The pick should be seen as having a dollar value. What that is, of course, depends on your perspective.

Something like $20M. So you'd treat 3/36 for Fowler as 3/56. And Gordon's deal as 4/92. That's why they weren't in on Gordon. They would have had to given up $30-40M in money and pick value above what the Royals paid to get him to jump teams.

Something like $20M. So you'd treat 3/36 for Fowler as 3/56. And Gordon's deal as 4/92. That's why they weren't in on Gordon. They would have had to given up $30-40M in money and pick value above what the Royals paid to get him to jump teams.

So now Span is off the board for 3/31.

Fowler isn't as good defensively as Span, but is younger and without the injury risks. He is slightly better at OBP but slightly worse at stealing bases as Span.

I think 3/40 or 4/48 would be enough to sign Fowler.

I'd do it, despite giving up the pick. Would rather have Fowler than Davis, Cespedes, or Upton. Less long-term committment and would free up enough salary to maybe even sign Chen. Also -- and this is huge -- he can back up Jones in CF.

So now Span is off the board for 3/31.

Fowler isn't as good defensively as Span, but is younger and without the injury risks. He is slightly better at OBP but slightly worse at stealing bases as Span.

I think 3/40 or 4/48 would be enough to sign Fowler.

I'd do it, despite giving up the pick. Would rather have Fowler than Davis, Cespedes, or Upton. Less long-term committment and would free up enough salary to maybe even sign Chen. Also -- and this is huge -- he can back up Jones in CF.

I would give him 4/40

Problem with Fowler is he has issues hitting left-handed. He has gotten worse left handed in the last few years. Down to .226 last year. I am not sure I want to sign him to a long term deal. Unless, I could get him to hit right handed only.

This could be interesting because there aren't a lot of leftie starters in the AL east.

I think the Nats are a good spot for Fowler to land. They just lost Span, and they've already given up their no. 1 pick to sign Daniel Murphy, so Fowler only costs them a no. 2.

It would actually be their Zimmermann compensation, right? Regardless, I think you may be correct. Though I wouldn't count them out on Davis.

Wouldn't be surprised if they trade Gonzalez and replace him with Chen.

• 2 months later...

Archived