ChuckS

Pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Chris Davis at 6/125, no deferred money
    • Yoenis Cespedes at 5/100, keep the pick
    • Justin Upton at 6/110, lose the pick

MLB Trade Rumors just reported this from Ken Rosenthal's latest column:

The Orioles have bee debating moving on from Chris Davis for about a month, but the team remains engaged with the slugging first baseman due to owner Peter Angelos’ affinity for Davis. If Baltimore does ultimately move on to alternatives, Yoenis Cespedes is a more likely target for the team than Justin Upton, as Cespedes wouldn’t require the O’s to part with a draft pick.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may be wishful thinking, but I'd love to see the O's sign Cespedes as soon as possible now that OFs are coming off the board. Then, once Davis realizes that the team is a) Putting together a good line-up and serious about competing and b) He doesn't have anyone else interested in his services, he can sign for a shorter, less expensive deal (kind of like Gordon did with KC).

Like I said, may be a pipe dream, but adding Cespedes and Davis and keeping a pick would be amazing (and it would give us a more dangerous line-up than the Blue Jays had last year).

Adding Trumbo and Cespedes does not improve the offense from a 96 wRC+ (below league average) to over 117 (Blue Jays 2015, and best in MLB). That's a 20 percent offensive improvement, Cespedes is not THAT good.

MLB Trade Rumors just reported this from Ken Rosenthal's latest column:

The Orioles have bee debating moving on from Chris Davis for about a month, but the team remains engaged with the slugging first baseman due to owner Peter Angelos? affinity for Davis. If Baltimore does ultimately move on to alternatives, Yoenis Cespedes is a more likely target for the team than Justin Upton, as Cespedes wouldn?t require the O?s to part with a draft pick.

I guess the question is - Does the longer they wait help or hurt the O's getting Cespedes or Upton or even Davis? Do their asking prices plummet? San Fran is no longer interested - if they ever were - after signing Span. And does Span signing before them put more pressure on them to sign ASAP?

I guess the question is - Does the longer they wait help or hurt the O's getting Cespedes or Upton or even Davis? Do their asking prices plummet? San Fran is no longer interested - if they ever were - after signing Span. And does Span signing before them put more pressure on them to sign ASAP?

I think the sweet spot could be now. If it gets too late, whoever is left will be the last guy and there will be some teams fighting over him. Now we can say the market is dropping, but there are still other guys we are looking at.

Adding Trumbo and Cespedes does not improve the offense from a 96 wRC+ (below league average) to over 117 (Blue Jays 2015, and best in MLB). That's a 20 percent offensive improvement, Cespedes is not THAT good.

Not even remotely that good. He's 30 with a career .805 mark. So you can expect high .700s. The Orioles would improve, but as much or more from replacing .600-something OPS corner OF/DH with Trumbo and Kim, than from Cespedes over the other corner.

And Davis is 30 with a career .836. His most likely 2016 is a OPS in the low .800s.

Do you really want to pay for a 30-year-old's .950 OPS in his last 250 PAs, but get something like his prior career mark of something like .780 declining through his 30s?

I am paying him to OPS his career average .800 and 3-4 WAR. Plus I am paying to keep the pick.

Agreed. The Blue Jays were amazing last season. We'd probably be an upper-tier team with Cespedes, Davis and Trumbo, but I doubt we'd reach the level the Jays did last year. For that matter, I doubt the Jays will hit as well in 2016 as they did in 2015.

I like Cespedes. I'd be fine with him. We do need left-handed power.

He is great except for the attitude, tendency to be off in lala land in the field and his meh production given the physical tools he has.

Yea he was awesome with the Mets, if that is the guy we are signing, I would be down with that. My guess is that version of Cespedes gets dusted off anytime he needs to ensure the next payday, we will end up with moody broody under productive Cespedes. Much prefer Upton even if we do have to sacrifice a pick. He ( UPton) is young enough he should be productive enough to warrant it.

Archived