At What Point, Do You Hold DD Accountable, If Any?

Rene88

Obviously everyone thinks he's good, but he's like, "your team gets a player like this once in a generation" good. And I think it's clear our front office doesn't think that way. He'd be extended already if he played anywhere else except for maybe Oakland.
They tried to extend him two years ago and it fell through at the last minute. You know that don't you? If Manny doesn't want to extend they can't force him to.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously everyone thinks he's good, but he's like, "your team gets a player like this once in a generation" good. And I think it's clear our front office doesn't think that way. He'd be extended already if he played anywhere else except for maybe Oakland.

I guess the Nationals don't think Harper is any good. The Cubs have soured on Bryant. Arenado is no good in Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What reason do we have for hope in the short term?

Of course you know better than me but pitching is the thing that often wins a World Series. The O's spent three first round picks on Gausman, Bundy and Harvey. Many are looking for Gausman to make the jump to the top of the rotation this year and the other two are the best two prospect the O's have. If health finds them they could rise quickly. There is the hope for the short term depending on your definition of short term.

Manny has great value. Whether is stays or is traded for a bounty. Schoop is right behind him. Adam is an "old thirty" and those of us old enough have seen what that tag can mean to a leader.

I don't know how it all plays out but I think there is room for optimism if you want to find it.

I'm curious what kind of background you have in negotiating contracts? I have a decent background, not as good as some around here, but I've been a part of around 10 multimillion dollar negotiations. They aren't what you seem to think they are based on your posts. I don't mean that to be condescending. I'm honestly hoping it is helpful.

If the Orioles walked in the room and offered Manny $30 per year for 10 years and he said no and wouldn't offer a counter, what would you do? It is significantly more complex than that, but this is just one example of how a contract negotiation can go nowhere regardless of the negotiators skill or intent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first thing that you negotiate is whether both sides wish to attempt to negotiate. And then what they would like to negotiate about. The last thing that happens are the terms getting talked about.

That says a lot more about you and your attitude and your neuroses than it does about the Orioles. You're once again asserting things as facts that are at best speculation.

And it's insanely easier for someone who remembers 1983 to discuss this subject because no matter what happens, you have that to fall back on.

I was in the 6th grade. And I don't look back on 1983 as being on the same level of enjoyment as 1989 or 2012. 1983 seemed inevitable, I was young, naive, silly, and thought that my favorite sports teams were always going to be good. By the time 1989 rolled around I was far from old, but I knew better, I'd experienced down seasons, 21-game losing streaks, and it was so much sweeter to just fall short with a team that was expected to do nothing than to win it all with a dynasty.

I was in the 6th grade. And I don't look back on 1983 as being on the same level of enjoyment as 1989 or 2012. 1983 seemed inevitable, I was young, naive, silly, and thought that my favorite sports teams were always going to be good. By the time 1989 rolled around I was far from old, but I knew better, I'd experienced down seasons, 21-game losing streaks, and it was so much sweeter to just fall short with a team that was expected to do nothing than to win it all with a dynasty.

Man '88 was rough.

The team was literally a national laughingstock.

First of all, I agree that Manny is a once in a generation type of player for this team, and I place a very high priority on extending him.

That said, it's not that common for such players to be locked up before their Arb 1 year. Harper won't be. Stanton wasn't. Kershaw wasn't. The list of guys who weren't is longer than the list of guys who were.

It also looks like it's going to be impossible to truly lock up a guy like Manny for more than 2-3 years beyond his Arb years, now that these opt out clauses are all the rage.

Have you ever had any luck negotiating a settlement with someone who wasn't interested? I've tried several times and it is basically a fool's errand.

Which side isn't interested? Manny has said he's interested, more than once. Apparently the sides came close but couldn't close a couple of years ago (and I'll bet the O's are sorry they didn't make whatever concession was required then, because the price has got to be much higher now).

Man, '88 was rough.

The team was literally a national laughingstock.

They were so bad that when they finally won a game, they took up the entire back page of the newspaper up here in New York ...... even though the Yankees and the Mets both also won that same day.

The huge photo plastered on the back page of the NY Daily News was of Eddie Murray congratulating Cal Ripken, Jr. after Cal had hit a home run.

First of all, I agree that Manny is a once in a generation type of player for this team, and I place a very high priority on extending him.

That said, it's not that common for such players to be locked up before their Arb 1 year. Harper won't be. Stanton wasn't. Kershaw wasn't. The list of guys who weren't is longer than the list of guys who were.

It also looks like it's going to be impossible to truly lock up a guy like Manny for more than 2-3 years beyond his Arb years, now that these opt out clauses are all the rage.

Do you really think the O's would spent 20m/yr on Davis and 30m per year on Manny?

The O's seem serious about signing Davis which make me wonder about Manny.

Do you really think the O's would spent 20m/yr on Davis and 30m per year on Manny?

The O's seem serious about signing Davis which make me wonder about Manny.

Are you saying they're trying for Davis because they know they'll be unable to sign Manny in any event? If so, that's too depressing to contemplate. On the other hand, if you are saying that the O's can only afford one of the two, then they would be morons not to choose Manny.

Are you saying they're trying for Davis because they know they'll be unable to sign Manny in any event? If so, that's too depressing to contemplate. On the other hand, if you are saying that the O's can only afford one of the two, then they would be morons not to choose Manny.

They haven't signed Davis.

Think of the haul they could get for Manny after the 2016 season.

Archived