Three members of the starting rotation are free agents after 2017

Frobby

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year they were an 81 win team. Their record pretty much matched their performance. The main goal this offseason appears to be keeping the core of that group together so they can get older and less effective together.

While the team could certainly over-perform and contend, I don't see the talent level of this team being higher then the one that one 81 games last year.

One of my favorite things about baseball is that it is not computer generated based on past performance or future projections. I won't say I'd be surprised necessarily if they are a sub-.500 team next year but there is enough for me to be optimistic.

Just to keep the threads actual subject together...Tillman, Gonzalez, and Jimenez are not our only issues going into 2018. I think around that time is when you'll see this window closing anyways so maybe it won't matter and we just hope at least one pitches well enough to warrant a QO. I certainly wouldn't extend any of them though. While I'm optimistic about 2016 it's no secret that the rotation is the weak link by a large margin.

I would be shocked if Bundy holds up to be and effective starter. Harvey maybe?

If the O's want to contend it's going to take miracle out of somebody down on the farm stepping up or spending on a quality FA pitcher.

Neither of which I see good odds of happening.

Still and O's fan either way unless they leave Baltimore they are my team win or lose. :P

I would be shocked if Bundy holds up to be and effective starter. Harvey maybe?

If the O's want to contend it's going to take miracle out of somebody down on the farm stepping up or spending on a quality FA pitcher.

Neither of which I see good odds of happening.

Still and O's fan either way unless they leave Baltimore they are my team win or lose. :P

According to Buck and he said it again yesterday, Orioles won't do five year or over contracts.

"History tells us that any [free-agent contract] over three years is a bad investment supposedly on starting pitching," Showalter said. "So, a lot of these clubs pay five years to get three or pay seven to get four. We're not going to do that. This is bad business for everybody. So, we really have to develop our own pitchers for the most part to do it right."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-buck-showalter-defends-clubs-current-pitching-staff-20151212-story.html

According to Buck and he said it again yesterday, Orioles won't do five year or over contracts.

"History tells us that any [free-agent contract] over three years is a bad investment supposedly on starting pitching," Showalter said. "So, a lot of these clubs pay five years to get three or pay seven to get four. We're not going to do that. This is bad business for everybody. So, we really have to develop our own pitchers for the most part to do it right."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-buck-showalter-defends-clubs-current-pitching-staff-20151212-story.html

If they can understand that about SP why can't they get that with Davis. We are paying 7 years to get 4 from him.

If they can understand that about SP why can't they get that with Davis. We are paying 7 years to get 4 from him.

I'm not sure this means much, but there have been 226 position players worth 21+ fWAR from age 30-on. 21 fWAR is about what they wanted to pay Davis for at $150M, give or take. There have been 140 pitchers worth 21+ fWAR from 30-on. Since there are roughly 50% as many regular position players as there are starters I'm not sure there's much difference in long-term expectations among free agent pitchers and hitters.

Archived