What is your reaction to the signing and contract of Chris Davis

isestrex

How do you feel about the Chris Davis signing and contract?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Chris Davis signing and contract?

• Absolutely terrible, I'm completely against it
    • I'm worried but Davis was a priority and at least we have something
    • Still mixed, can't decide
    • I like it a lot but I'm a little concerned about the future
    • Love it, it's not my money

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Some people were just happy to see that Angelos would pony up for a player he really wanted.    Some were more optimistic about Davis' future than others.   I'd say the first two years have fallen within the bottom 10% of likely outcomes - especially this year.   And nobody saw the "bat frozen on shoulder" thing coming.    That's the part that worries me the most.  

I didn't like the resigning then and like it less now. I wanted Angelos to spend the 161 million on the team not on CD. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think Dan was in favor of the Davis deal do you?

I figured Buck went over Dan's head to bring him back.

You think Buck?  I remember hearing it was the influence of Angelos. But I was talking about sacrificing draft picks. Jimenez and Trumbo.  Gallardo? Dan's choices.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You think Buck?  I remember hearing it was the influence of Angelos. But I was talking about sacrificing draft picks. Jimenez and Trumbo.  Gallardo? Dan's choices.

Oh sure, Dan doesn't value draft picks.

Or he's told to keep draft spending at a certain level so it makes strategic sense to ditch them.

On 1/18/2016 at 11:35 AM, theobird said:

Its a tremendously stupid contract, and Chris Davis got way overpaid. Now, I hope he gives us some good years in the deal, but overall this is just really a stupid deal.

And it is just more stupid now. What this team needs the most is a competent GM.

• nevadaO

January 16, 2016
  • Tx Oriole

January 17, 2016
  • Ruzious

January 18, 2016
  • ShaneDawg85

January 16, 2016
  • ricowiz

January 16, 2016
  • utvolzac
    January 16, 2016
  • paulcoates

January 16, 2016
  • AnythingO's

January 16, 2016
  • Lucky Jim

January 16, 2016
  • theobird

January 18, 2016
  • O's are Legends

January 16, 2016
  • Can_of_corn

January 16, 2016
  • Tryptamine

January 16, 2016
  • webbrick2010

January 17, 2016
  • Barnaby Graves

January 16, 2016
  • Il BuonO

January 16, 2016
  • pwhite

January 16, 2016
  • Plutarch

January 16, 2016
  • Creamsicle

January 18, 2016
  • OsJimmy

January 16, 2016
  • Otter

January 17, 2016

All of these folks voted correctly in January 2016! they thought the contract was terrible from the start!

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I was told by someone in the warehouse that this was "Buck's signing" not Dan's. Dan was willing to let him walk.

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Dan doesn't fall into the " deep thinker" category.

Actually, that's not true at all. Duquette if anything is over analytical. He's a very smart man. He's working in a very difficult situation but it was way back into baseball.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I think people criticize DD a bit unfairly on here. 

He's certainly done some things with trades that I would not have, but the guy is about as active as you can be watching the waiver wire and using his international money that Angelos won't let him spend for something. I really think most of the bad resignings were not really on him. Dan doesn't come off as the most sentimental guy but Buck is all about loyalty and being surrounded by his guys. Most of the resigns like Hardy, O'day, Davis and Trumbo were his guys.

Then again, I think that plays well with Angelos who I've always believed thinks the fans wants to see "fan favorites" more than wanting to win. Me, I'll trade anyone if I think I could make my team better now and in the future. 

I believe fans fall in love with players when they do well and win. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd much rather see a young hungry team developing with the potential to be a World Series caliber team someday then watching the same old team basically try and slide into the wild card and hope things go well from there.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's certainly done some things with trades that I would not have, but the guy is about as active as you can be watching the waiver wire and using his international money that Angelos won't let him spend for something. I really think most of the bad resignings were not really on him. Dan doesn't come off as the most sentimental guy but Buck is all about loyalty and being surrounded by his guys. Most of the resigns like Hardy, O'day, Davis and Trumbo were his guys.

Then again, I think that plays well with Angelos who I've always believed thinks the fans wants to see "fan favorites" more than wanting to win. Me, I'll trade anyone if I think I could make my team better now and in the future. 

I believe fans fall in love with players when they do well and win. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd much rather see a young hungry team developing with the potential to be a World Series caliber team someday then watching the same old team basically try and slide into the wild card and hope things go well from there.

Astute observations, I agree wholeheartedly. I was against the Davis signing, but what can you do at this point. The tough one coming up is Adam Jones. He's a team leader and a definite fan favorite (and one of my favorite Os of all time). But we have guys in the wing who will be cheaper and will free money up...I dunno.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. There was a time when I was younger, and the name on the jersey mattered more. As i have gotten a little older I realize that the players will come and go, so i don't get overly connected as a fan anymore. 

As we see, neither of the Buck guys have worked out too well. DD does do well in not falling in love with players. The trades...that's a different story. Your thoughts on Angelos show why he should step away from the team and allow his GM the chance to run things. We know that will not happen, but we can dream.

Archived