NBCSports: More Momentum for DH to National League

weams

I have all sorts of contradictory feelings about the DH. I like the pitcher being able to hit (I know I'm a minority in this but I feel that the one thing that makes baseball fairly unique is you play both offense and defense), OTOH I have seen how the DH lengthens careers and I can see why people feel differently than I do about pitchers hitting plus it does suck knowing you got a rally going and then the pitcher kills it. Another thing is I feel it should be all or nothing. I'm also a person who doesn't feel strongly one way or the other so if the NL wants to do this, I won't be too disappointed but I've always felt as I said a little rubbed the wrong way that one rule exists in one league but not the other.

I'm an oddity in the fact that I'm a fan of an AL team but I hate the DH. I'd quite like to see the AL get rid of it.

Mostly due to the fact that I think pitchers that hit people should be man enough to take one in the ribs themselves. I always hated seeing guys like Rodger Clemens get away with throwing at people.

Booooo! The DH is an abomination.

Watching pitchers hit is an abomination. If they can put together respectable at-bats, I would be all for eliminating the DH. But they never ever do. Last year, the average OPS for pitchers was .327. The year before, it was .306. It's a complete joke. It must be frustrating as hell for NL players at the bottom of the lineup to work their tails off to try to create a rally only for the pitcher to kill it by weakly whiffing at three pitches.

Watching pitchers hit is an abomination. If they can put together respectable at-bats, I would be all for eliminating the DH. But they never ever do. Last year, the average OPS for pitchers was .327. The year before, it was .306. It's a complete joke. It must be frustrating as hell for NL players at the bottom of the lineup to work their tails off to try to create a rally only for the pitcher to kill it by weakly whiffing at three pitches.

Agree its such a waste of an at-bat.

Leave it the way it is now. As an AL fan I prefer the DH, but it's always fun when they play an NL team and the pitchers get their chance. Whether it's good or bad it's usually entertaining,the same as watching position players try to pitch. I can still remember Zachary Britton tearing it up, Daniel Cabrera looking like the last kid picked in gym class, and Chris Davis mowing down Red Sox on the mound; good times!

I have all sorts of contradictory feelings about the DH. I like the pitcher being able to hit (I know I'm a minority in this but I feel that the one thing that makes baseball fairly unique is you play both offense and defense), OTOH I have seen how the DH lengthens careers and I can see why people feel differently than I do about pitchers hitting plus it does suck knowing you got a rally going and then the pitcher kills it. Another thing is I feel it should be all or nothing. I'm also a person who doesn't feel strongly one way or the other so if the NL wants to do this, I won't be too disappointed but I've always felt as I said a little rubbed the wrong way that one rule exists in one league but not the other.

I have similar feelings, which is why I like the NL/AL split. It is the best of both worlds, plus quirky to boot! That said, the NL is just now realizing that the DH makes good economic sense for players and owners? The AL made that discovery back when I was 3. The Catholic Church moves faster.

Archived