Mat Latos - Next best target?

srock

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't seem likely that pitchers would come to the O's for a 'pillow contract". Hitters might but not pitchers.

Do players and agents really think their next contract is primarily dependent on raw numbers, that park effects are going to be discounted? Isn't Baltimore the place where guys like Miguel Gonzalez and Jeremy Guthrie turned from minor league journeyman to established MLB starter?

I vaguely recall hearing negative things about his personality but can't recall the specifics. Can any provide more details on that aspect?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

First, he jacked the Reds when he left very badly. Talked bad about the organization etc.

Go to youtube and search for him. You will see MANY video's where he won't sign an autograph for kids.

Kenny did an interview last year when with Marlins:

"Q: So, were you happy to be traded?

A: In a sense. It sucks ? that was a great group of guys I got to play with, a great coaching staff, a great owner. But I guess I just wasn?t a fit. They wanted to go in another direction. They wanted to try and keep (Johnny) Cueto, lock Cueto up. It is what it is.

They traded me here. There could have been a lot worse places I could have been traded to. At least I?m familiar and comfortable with Miami. So, it?s fine. It was home for me for quite some time; I basically lived here for 22 years.

I accept it. I?m happy they traded me. Obviously, if I wasn?t a fit, they didn?t need me or want me there, then yeah, get rid of me. "

" You look at the Reds after we lost Bronson (Arroyo, after the 2013 season). Everything went to s---. You look at it after we lost Scott Rolen (after 2012). Everything went to s---. When Scott was there, we had guys doing exactly what they were supposed to do. After Scott left, we had guys with two years in the big leagues, in the clubhouse, on their phones, laying down in the video room, just hanging out during games, not in the dugout, not cheering their teammates on. Our dugout looked like a ghost town.

After Bronson, the same exact thing. We had starters in there roping our (clubhouse attendants), like, cattle-roping our clubbies. Guys on their computers, buying stuff, hanging out in the clubhouse. We had a guy with a year-and-a-half in the big leagues wandering around the clubhouse, hanging out. We had a closer in there sleeping until the seventh inning. We lose that veteran leadership, that?s what happens. You can?t have that ... it turns into a circus. "

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/mat-latos-miami-marlins-new-pitcher-interview-cincinnati-reds-022215

The roping of clubhouse attendants is hilarious. Sounds like something out of Major League.

what about Alfredo Simon? I think he has good stuff, and can be a good BP piece if he doesn't cut it as a starter. I also like Tim Lincecum. He looks really good in Orange and Black, is only 31 years old, and the Hip surgery may bring him back. These two would be a good gamble imo.

Kenny did an interview last year when with Marlins:

"Q: So, were you happy to be traded?

A: In a sense. It sucks ? that was a great group of guys I got to play with, a great coaching staff, a great owner. But I guess I just wasn?t a fit. They wanted to go in another direction. They wanted to try and keep (Johnny) Cueto, lock Cueto up. It is what it is.

They traded me here. There could have been a lot worse places I could have been traded to. At least I?m familiar and comfortable with Miami. So, it?s fine. It was home for me for quite some time; I basically lived here for 22 years.

I accept it. I?m happy they traded me. Obviously, if I wasn?t a fit, they didn?t need me or want me there, then yeah, get rid of me. "

" You look at the Reds after we lost Bronson (Arroyo, after the 2013 season). Everything went to s---. You look at it after we lost Scott Rolen (after 2012). Everything went to s---. When Scott was there, we had guys doing exactly what they were supposed to do. After Scott left, we had guys with two years in the big leagues, in the clubhouse, on their phones, laying down in the video room, just hanging out during games, not in the dugout, not cheering their teammates on. Our dugout looked like a ghost town.

After Bronson, the same exact thing. We had starters in there roping our (clubhouse attendants), like, cattle-roping our clubbies. Guys on their computers, buying stuff, hanging out in the clubhouse. We had a guy with a year-and-a-half in the big leagues wandering around the clubhouse, hanging out. We had a closer in there sleeping until the seventh inning. We lose that veteran leadership, that?s what happens. You can?t have that ... it turns into a circus. "

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/mat-latos-miami-marlins-new-pitcher-interview-cincinnati-reds-022215

I've got no real problems with any of this. He's just telling it like it is and isn't sugar coating any of it. His issue is with the manager at the time. If you give those kids and inch they'll take a mile. Once you've given them that inch you've lost your integrity as a boss and have lost your clubhouse.

what about Alfredo Simon? I think he has good stuff, and can be a good BP piece if he doesn't cut it as a starter. I also like Tim Lincecum. He looks really good in Orange and Black, is only 31 years old, and the Hip surgery may bring him back. These two would be a good gamble imo.

I'd take a flier on Lincecum, but no thanks to Simon. That ship has sailed.

Do players and agents really think their next contract is primarily dependent on raw numbers, that park effects are going to be discounted? Isn't Baltimore the place where guys like Miguel Gonzalez and Jeremy Guthrie turned from minor league journeyman to established MLB starter?

Not too many pitchers go to the Rockies to improve their value no matter what the park effects are. Same is true for Camden Yards.

There are pitchers that do well in Camden but pitchers don't flock to the O's to improve the value for their next contract. Its been true for years.

Look at the starters the O's have/had. Tillman came in a trade. Chen was signed out of the Japanese League. Gonzo as a minor leaguer out of the Mexico League coming off an injury after being released by the Red Sox. Gausman was drafted. Ubaldo was signed as a FA after being on the market all off season. The O's were his last resort for a 50m contract.

The O's have not attracted pitchers for a long time because of the park. Its a lot easier to get hitters to come to Baltimore.

Not too many pitchers go to the Rockies to improve their value no matter what the park effects are. Same is true for Camden Yards.

There are pitchers that do well in Camden but pitchers don't flock to the O's to improve the value for their next contract. Its been true for years.

Look at the starters the O's have/had. Tillman came in a trade. Chen was signed out of the Japanese League. Gonzo as a minor leaguer out of the Mexico League coming off an injury after being released by the Red Sox. Gausman was drafted. Ubaldo was signed as a FA after being on the market all off season. The O's were his last resort for a 50m contract.

The O's have not attracted pitchers for a long time because of the park. Its a lot easier to get hitters to come to Baltimore.

I agree that Baltimore is probably on the bottom of the list for pitchers seeking pillow contacts. As far as attracting pitchers, you gotta be willing to pay them before they'd agree to sign here. I think our problem in the past has been a little of both, not just the park.

I agree that Baltimore is probably on the bottom of the list for pitchers seeking pillow contacts. As far as attracting pitchers, you gotta be willing to pay them before they'd agree to sign here. I think our problem in the past has been a little of both, not just the park.

I agree the money talks and the O's are normally not the high bidder for starters. But pillow contracts relate more to the park.

Archived