Who on the 25-man roster can be packaged in a trade for a SP?

Snutchy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Britton should be the one getting traded, but I don't think that will happen.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure the rest of baseball is as high as the Orioles and I are on Givens. I think if the Orioles traded Britton before the season to clear the closer's spot, Givens would be a Rookie of the Year candidate. I just don't think relievers have that much trade value if they aren't closers. Think about Andrew Miller, he was one of the top relievers in baseball and only netted a borderline top-100 prospect. Granted Miller was a trade deadline acquisition, but I can't think of any monster deals for any non-closer relievers.

A .731 OPS is not atrocious.

Thanks for looking that up. I thought he hit RHP decent as well.

I for one do not see why Trumbo (eating salary mind you) plus some lesser pieces not on the 25 man, would not bring back a starting pitcher.

Maybe not a great starting pitcher, but somebody.

Throw in Matusz (eating more contract) and maybe you got something.

At this point signing Fister and/or Latos is probably getting the same thing without trading anyone, but who knows how much longer those guys will be available.

A .731 OPS is not atrocious.

Hmm, you're right. I only looked at the last 3 years in which his OPS was .685 in 2013, .679 in 2014, and .709 in 2015 (all against righties). That's admittedly still using the word atrocious loosely but when we are talking about a 9 million dollar DH and right handed pitchers are the majority it's an ugly place to be.

Hmm, you're right. I only looked at the last 3 years in which his OPS was .685 in 2013, .679 in 2014, and .709 in 2015 (all against righties). That's admittedly still using the word atrocious loosely but when we are talking about a 9 million dollar DH and right handed pitchers are the majority it's an ugly place to be.

.709 is about league average.

Trumbo clearly hits LHP far better then RHP. The inverse will likely be true of his left handed platoon counterpart.

Matching Trumbo up vs RHP is going to require deeper matchup analysis then just right left splits. Kind of like how lefties were rested vs Randy Johnson, Trumbo will get his off days when the matchup isn't favorable.

But just being a RHP isn't the only metric. Trumbo will get plenty of PA vs RHP and he should still be productive.

Trumbo clearly hits LHP far better then RHP. The inverse will likely be true of his left handed platoon counterpart.

Matching Trumbo up vs RHP is going to require deeper matchup analysis then just right left splits. Kind of like how lefties were rested vs Randy Johnson, Trumbo will get his off days when the matchup isn't favorable.

But just being a RHP isn't the only metric. Trumbo will get plenty of PA vs RHP and he should still be productive.

I also like him hitting right behind Davis for that reason. If you go Jones (kills Lefties), davis (kills righties) Trumbo kills lefties you basically are making one of their lefty relievers a one hitter appeareance.

Thanks for looking that up. I thought he hit RHP decent as well.

I for one do not see why Trumbo (eating salary mind you) plus some lesser pieces not on the 25 man, would not bring back a starting pitcher.

Maybe not a great starting pitcher, but somebody.

Throw in Matusz (eating more contract) and maybe you got something.

At this point signing Fister and/or Latos is probably getting the same thing without trading anyone, but who knows how much longer those guys will be available.

Trumbo won't be traded.

Hopefully. His splits vs RHP haven't been great recently and his 300ish PAs as a DH haven't been that great either. I think there's a good chance the O's end up with a .730ish (obviously SLG heavy) 9 million dollar DH who is league average or slightly below vs RHP.

Trumbo won't be traded.

I'm just curious...what makes you so sure? He was a Davis backup plan and now Davis is signed and there's no real need for him. I'd much prefer sign Alvarez to DH for half of what Trumbo is being paid. I understand if he won't be traded because nobody wants him but if someone does want him, I think you gotta make it happen.

Hopefully. His splits vs RHP haven't been great recently and his 300ish PAs as a DH haven't been that great either. I think there's a good chance the O's end up with a .730ish (obviously SLG heavy) 9 million dollar DH who is league average or slightly below vs RHP.

My point is, with roster flexibility, Buck can maximize Trumbo's value by using the matchups. And not just LR splits, but looking deeper at the right handed pitchers Trumbo does hit well.

I would be on Latos. after that I think you wait for mid-season and hope Tillman and Gonzo can return to there 2014 form. The east will be bunched up till about July Stay close to the pack and deal then, hopefully from strength. This also gives us a chance to see if Gausman and to a lesser extend Bundy will be helping us.

I'm just curious...what makes you so sure? He was a Davis backup plan and now Davis is signed and there's no real need for him. I'd much prefer sign Alvarez to DH for half of what Trumbo is being paid. I understand if he won't be traded because nobody wants him but if someone does want him, I think you gotta make it happen.

I have seen this comment often. Trumbo was acquired before the winter meetings. I think that it is pretty clear that the Orioles fully intended to sign Davis at that time and frankly anticipated that Davis would agree to terms during the winter meetings so they could have a big happy announcement at Fanfest. While Trumbo did end up providing a decent alternative possibility if Davis didn't sign and we got a top outfielder instead, it seems apparent that this was, in fact, not the primary reason behind the trade for Trumbo. I think that the fact that Trumbo was viewed as a superior DH to Clevenger, and his usefulness as a 1B/OF provided more depth to the team than carrying a third catcher did were the primary motivations for the Orioles in that trade.

I have seen this comment often. Trumbo was acquired before the winter meetings. I think that it is pretty clear that the Orioles fully intended to sign Davis at that time and frankly anticipated that Davis would agree to terms during the winter meetings so they could have a big happy announcement at Fanfest. While Trumbo did end up providing a decent alternative possibility if Davis didn't sign and we got a top outfielder instead, it seems apparent that this was, in fact, not the primary reason behind the trade for Trumbo. I think that the fact that Trumbo was viewed as a superior DH to Clevenger, and his usefulness as a 1B/OF provided more depth to the team than carrying a third catcher did were the primary motivations for the Orioles in that trade.

I agree with you however, at 10 million, they could have found a cheaper alternative, that is a better fit for this offense.

Its the same story with Worley. Not sure why the FO decided to pay 3 million dollars to a pitcher that cannot handle the East, when there were players like Chacin out there, available on minor league deals.

Archived