The start of the decline

Pedro Cerrano

Probably uncalled for. I haven't attacked anyone personally. It's posts like this that make that chip grow bigger and bigger.

Why can't anybody on this board post continuous negative comments (most of which have merit) without getting attacked from all sides?!

Oh, by all means, post all the continuously negative comments you want. It's gluttonous posts like your admitted "I told you so" post that get under my skin.

Maybe you were right. Maybe I was wrong. I'll refrain from posting any further in this thread, as I'll admittedly add probably zero constructive points. Sorry for the personal attack. I was out of line.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a glutton for punishment? In all honesty, I watch because I love this team and the sport. No matter how awful they play, I still watch because eventually, all the pieces will fall into place and they will win it all. And when that happens I can reflect on these miserable times and think to myself that it was worth it.

Frobby, can you honestly tell me that you continue to follow this team as closely as you do because you feel like the Orioles can compete this year? If not, then you can't admonish me for continuing to follow the team and post because, by admitting the Orioles cannot win this year, you are also concluding the season is "over" albeit less directly.

Please excuse how I've acted on this thread, but I still have a fairly large chip on my shoulder how it was received to being with.

Well, I hope I wasn't part of that. It's a long thread and I haven't gone back, but I hope I didn't bash you.

To answer your question, I continue to follow the team because I am hoping to see progress. The month that has been played has been inconclusive on that score, in my opinion. They are on pace for 72-90 and obviously that would not be progress. But I still think that they could do much better than that and leave me feeling optimistic when the year is over. It is too soon to tell.

"zomg teh sky iz falling!"

"Playoff teams NEVER lose two games in a row. I'm pretty sure it has never happened in the history of the game, if some stat guys want to back me up on that one as there may have been a few. Season over guys, see ya next year!"

"Yeah, because losing two games in a row means we are done for the season .

You probably though the decline started when we lost 3 straight to the Twins."

"I'm pretty sure they've already cancelled the rest of the home games. Not sure about the road games."

Those are examples of how my post was received, limited my search to just the first three pages.

I guess I just don't understand the double-standard around here. People that generally have a favorable outlook on the team are allowed to be as sarcastic and snobby as they want to the people that have a more pessimistic outlook. Naturally, the pessimsits feel the need to further defend themselves by pointing to threads such as these, which leads to people accusing them of "rubbing their faces in it."

Doesn't seem fair.

And for the record, Frobby, you didn't call me or anyone out. I've generally seen you as one of the more respectful members on this board. Thank you for that.

If Sam rips into the guys before this Boston series, we still have a shot at taking at least one of the games. Considering Boston has owned us for the past 6 years at Fenway South, and Sam is "Mr. Nice Guy" we'll be on a 4 game losing streak headed to Cleveland.

Don't know about the home away splits and they did absolutely own us last year (3-15), but from 2003-2005 we were 27-29 against them and people talked about how we got up for them even though we sucked.

"zomg teh sky iz falling!"

"Playoff teams NEVER lose two games in a row. I'm pretty sure it has never happened in the history of the game, if some stat guys want to back me up on that one as there may have been a few. Season over guys, see ya next year!"

"Yeah, because losing two games in a row means we are done for the season .

You probably though the decline started when we lost 3 straight to the Twins."

"I'm pretty sure they've already cancelled the rest of the home games. Not sure about the road games."

Those are examples of how my post was received, limited my search to just the first three pages.

I guess I just don't understand the double-standard around here. People that generally have a favorable outlook on the team are allowed to be as sarcastic and snobby as they want to the people that have a more pessimistic outlook. Naturally, the pessimsits feel the need to further defend themselves by pointing to threads such as these, which leads to people accusing them of "rubbing their faces in it."

Doesn't seem fair.

And for the record, Frobby, you didn't call me or anyone out. I've generally seen you as one of the more respectful members on this board. Thank you for that.

With all due respect, I've seen BTerp, Silent James and other "optimists" take their fair share of abuse from the other side as well. The "pessimists" have to defend their views? What do you think the optimists are doing in responding to a thread like this (which you have every right to post if you want). But if you want to keep posting threads like this, you should have every expectation that someone who does not share your point of view will continue to rebut what they see as either wrong or overreactionary posts (hopefully in a respectful manner).

Rather than read this whole thread (which seems to be filled with the nitpicking babble of those with hurt feelings) I'll just wait for the book to be publshed.......

"THE RISE AND FALL OF THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES EMPIRE"........I think

Peter Schmuck could write it between cheeseburgers.

Well, the Orioles have not been doing the little things right, and as well, the starting pitching has not gone deep into the games at all.

The team has not had much offense, much less power to to speak of, and at the moment, the bullpen is being way overused.

At this point, some bats really had better wake up, and we need to do a better job of taking advantage of scoring positions.

The streak has been bad, yes; however, we are only in the first week of May.

I knew this would be a rough stretch, so let's hope for the best...

I didn't read through this whole thread, but someone made a comment about why the pessimists rub it in the optimists' faces from time to time.

Well, I'm pretty sure the optimists would rub it in the pessimists' faces as well, were it not for a couple of things:

1. The Orioles haven't won too much over the past 9 years, so there are very few chances for the optimists to gloat.

2. If the Orioles did win and provided fuel for the optimists, I don't think many of the pessimists would mind. After all, I assume that the pessimists still want to see the Orioles do well and win. I know I don't actually wish the Orioles to fall on their faces just so I can be proven "right."

Archived