Who Is A Better Fit For Orioles: Doug Fister, Yovani Gallardo or Mat Latos?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who would be a better fit for the Orioles, Doug Fister, Yovani Gallardo or Mat Latos? Paul Fokemer ranks how each compares in six key categories. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/01/20/who-is-a-better-fit-for-the-orioles-doug-fister-yovani-gallardo-or-mat-latos

Gallardo would have pick attached. DD won't go that way.

I don't know about Fister or Latos.

Latos and it isn't close. Gallardo has the pick attached. I would give up a second rounder of Gallardo but not the #14 pick in the draft to go along with a market value contract. With Fister's velocity drop there is a decent chance that he is done as an effective Major League pitcher unless he can totally reinvent himself.

No to Gallardo. Keep the draft pick. I am increasingly sour on both Fister and Latos. I guess it is a toss up but I would not expect either one to be good.

What history have the O's had on the 1st round draft picks? See Mateus, Hobgood, Adam Loewin, Brad Bergeson, William Rowell, Brandon Snyder, Wade Townsend,Chris Smith, Mike Fontenot, Beau Hale, Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl. We need a reliable starting pitcher now and the #14 is a good chance it may be like the list I mentioned. Why can't we make an attempt to win now to get what we need, instead of playing poker to wait on a prospect we draft that may be good and tank this year to hold that draft pick?Especially the poor drafting the O's do, and when we need patience we trade them away such as Arrietta, Simon etc! The O's drafted Matt Hobgood over Mike Trout, Shelby Miller and Mike Leake. Due to the O's poor drafting it may be worth signing Galliardo and sacrifice #14 pick to win now? We need to give it serious thought???

What history have the O's on the 1st round draft picks? See Mateus, Hobgood, Adam Loewin, Brad Bergeson, William Rowell, Brandon Snyder, Wade Townsend,

Chris Smith, Mike Fontenot, Beau Hale, Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl.

Gausman, Machado, Wieters, Joseph, Givens. Mancini and Hess are not far away. Even Bundy and Harvey still have time to fulfill their potential. Look up and down our roster and there are tons of guys drafted and developed by the Orioles. It is not a lock that our #14 will turn into Manny, but even a 1 in 10 shot at the next Manny is worth more than Gallardo. If we were going to give up a pick, we should have gone all in on Price or at least Zimmerman.

What history have the O's had on the 1st round draft picks? See Mateus, Hobgood, Adam Loewin, Brad Bergeson, William Rowell, Brandon Snyder, Wade Townsend,Chris Smith, Mike Fontenot, Beau Hale, Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl. We need a reliable starting pitcher now and the #14 is a good chance it may be like the list I mentioned. Why can't we make an attempt to win now to get what we need, instead of playing poker to wait on a prospect we draft that may be good and tank this year to hold that draft pick?Especially the poor drafting the O's do, and when we need patience we trade them away such as Arrietta, Simon etc! The O's drafted Matt Hobgood over Mike Trout, Shelby Miller and Mike Leake. Due to the O's poor drafting it may be worth signing Galliardo and sacrifice #14 pick to win now? We need to give it serious thought???

You do understand that planning for all your picks to fail pretty much precludes a long- or even medium-term strategy of winning baseball games, right?

A good part of the reason the Orioles can entertain competing in 2016 is the success of home-grown Manny Machado, Jonathan Schoop, Zach Britton, and Michael Givens.

What history have the O's had on the 1st round draft picks? See Mateus, Hobgood, Adam Loewin, Brad Bergeson, William Rowell, Brandon Snyder, Wade Townsend,Chris Smith, Mike Fontenot, Beau Hale, Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl.

Townsend didn't sign with the Orioles. If the Orioles were operating under the current CBA they would have gotten the 9th pick in the following draft as compensation instead of the 48th pick.

Matusz has accrued the 16th most rWAR amongst the 46 1st round picks in 2008 including more rWAR than the first and sixth pick, so while he has been disappointing he hasn't been a total disaster.

Bergesen was a 4th round pick who accrued the 5th most career rWAR among 4th rounders taken that season. He was a clear example of draft success not failure.

Smith, Stahl, Hale, Paradis and Fontenot were all 15 or more years ago, not sure how that has much bearing on things. Hell, Loewen was 12 years ago and Townsend was 10 years ago. I don't see people crowing about Markakis' success and he was drafted 11 years go, so you can probably let these guys go.

Fister. Very few BBs and commands both sides of the plate. The fact he leads all active pitchers in BB per 9 IP helps mitigate the loss of velo. Plus he has meaningful A.L. experience. I'd give him 2/20.

No, it really doesn't. The Nationals certainly don't think so, either. If we see him pitch and he proves that he is all the way back to previous form, maybe. If not, pass.

Archived