Who Is A Better Fit For Orioles: Doug Fister, Yovani Gallardo or Mat Latos?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What history have the O's had on the 1st round draft picks? See Mateus, Hobgood, Adam Loewin, Brad Bergeson, William Rowell, Brandon Snyder, Wade Townsend,Chris Smith, Mike Fontenot, Beau Hale, Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl. We need a reliable starting pitcher now and the #14 is a good chance it may be like the list I mentioned. Why can't we make an attempt to win now to get what we need, instead of playing poker to wait on a prospect we draft that may be good and tank this year to hold that draft pick?Especially the poor drafting the O's do, and when we need patience we trade them away such as Arrietta, Simon etc! The O's drafted Matt Hobgood over Mike Trout, Shelby Miller and Mike Leake. Due to the O's poor drafting it may be worth signing Galliardo and sacrifice #14 pick to win now? We need to give it serious thought???

Nick Markakis, Manny Machado, Matt Wieters, Brian Matusz, Dylan Bundy, Hunter Harvey.

Joe Jordan and his bosses work for Philadelphia now. Different guys work here now.

Nick Markakis, Manny Machado, Matt Wieters, Brian Matusz, Dylan Bundy, Hunter Harvey.

Joe Jordan and his bosses work for Philadelphia now. Different guys work here now.

Bundy and Harvey haven't contributed in any meaningful way to the Orioles. And it's a very real possible that they won't.

The Orioles track record of drafting and developing starting pitchers is a completely and utter disaster. Yes, we can draft and develop relievers and position players (to an extent), but our success rate with pitchers is abysmal.

It also doesn't help that if we can't draft well, can't develop well...we end up trading what little starting pitching inventory we have.

Nope. I'm guessing it's wishful thinking at OH.

That's pretty much what I'm guessing, as well. Barring something truly surprising, I think all the pitchers mentioned are probably out of the O's price range at this point.

Can't wait to hear "pitching improvement from within" once again ringing off the walls in Sarasota.

Bundy and Harvey haven't contributed in any meaningful way to the Orioles. And it's a very real possible that they won't.

The Orioles track record of drafting and developing starting pitchers is a completely and utter disaster. Yes, we can draft and develop relievers and position players (to an extent), but our success rate with pitchers is abysmal.

It also doesn't help that if we can't draft well, can't develop well...we end up trading what little starting pitching inventory we have.

Silver lining: at least it's not an udder disaster. Can you imagine? In Baltimore, in August? Gross.

(and this is why I usually leave optimism to other people)

Useless. All three of them stink. I want absolutely none of any of them because I do not believe it makes any difference at this point. Either what we have overperforms or we finish last. Latos, Fister, Gallardo (he is the worst of the bunch) make no difference at all. Big fail for Duquette in not improving the starting pitching.

Keep the Pick! No matter what they do: Keep the Pick! I will take my chances on the Orioles picking a good player rather than assigning them "incompetent" status because of failed picks by people who don't even work there anymore. Things change, you know.

I guess I choose Fister of those three...pending physical, of course.

This is an easy one:

1. No to Gallardo as he has a pick attached and he is not worth losing the pick

2. Latos is a no, too long a history of being a locker room problem

3. Roll the dice with Fister

Is it possible that none of these options are good? Wow. We better sign another bat in hopes of winning every game 10-9. Ugh.

Why didn't we primarily win last year? Starting pitching.

What do we fail to address in the offseason? Starting pitching.

Makes sense.

Anyone available in a trade/salary dump? I doubt it, but wanted to ask.

Archived