Who Is A Better Fit For Orioles: Doug Fister, Yovani Gallardo or Mat Latos?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a no-brainer for me.

-If I'm giving up the 14th pick, it's not for Yovani Gallardo. Pass

-Latos would be a fine gamble if he didn't have character questions. This is a totally uninformed opinion, but I have a hard time imagining him fitting into the O's clubhouse. Pass.

-Fister is the only way to go. You're hoping for a bounce back year, obviously, but for a guy who went 16-6 with a 2.41 in 2014, 2/22 doesn't seem crazy to me. Imagine if he had repeated his 2014 performance in 2015. He'd be a 5/100 guy. Obviously he didn't, but at the current price of pitching, 2/22 actually seems somewhat reasonable.

Heard today on XM MLB that BAL and TEX were the most likely spots for Gallardo. They must think that if he takes 3 years he is worth the pick.

I'd sure miss that pick but we really need pitching or there was no sense in spending 200+M dollars this year. Our rotation truly sucks and he would help a great deal.

Is it possible that none of these options are good? Wow. We better sign another bat in hopes of winning every game 10-9. Ugh.

Why didn't we primarily win last year? Starting pitching.

What do we fail to address in the offseason? Starting pitching.

Makes sense.

Anyone available in a trade/salary dump? I doubt it, but wanted to ask.

That's what happens when the owner plays GM. Truly believe DD's hands are

tied. IMO

This is a no-brainer for me.

-If I'm giving up the 14th pick, it's not for Yovani Gallardo. Pass

-Latos would be a fine gamble if he didn't have character questions. This is a totally uninformed opinion, but I have a hard time imagining him fitting into the O's clubhouse. Pass.

-Fister is the only way to go. You're hoping for a bounce back year, obviously, but for a guy who went 16-6 with a 2.41 in 2014, 2/22 doesn't seem crazy to me. Imagine if he had repeated his 2014 performance in 2015. He'd be a 5/100 guy. Obviously he didn't, but at the current price of pitching, 2/22 actually seems somewhat reasonable.

If anybody gave Fister a 5/100 contract after 2014 I'd have them committed. Great ERA and W/L record, but FIP/xFIP more than a run higher, K rate about 2 below average, and a knuckleball-esque fastball.

Fine with Latos. I guess I don't hate a 1/7 type deal for Fister, but the rumors are he wants three times that.

Right which is why I put the caveat in there. The price point I would be comfortable with probably doesn't get Fister. Latos is the only one I'm actually interested in.

If anybody gave Fister a 5/100 contract after 2014 I'd have them committed. Great ERA and W/L record, but FIP/xFIP more than a run higher, K rate about 2 below average, and a knuckleball-esque fastball.

I said he'd "be a 5/100 guy" if he had repeated his 2014 performance in 2015.

-Fister's FIP in 2014 was 3.93. In the 5 years prior to 2014, his FIPs were 3.02, 3.27, 2.48, 3.42, 3.26.

-Wei Yin Chen's FIPs in 4 years have been: 4.42, 4.04, 3.89, 4.16.

-Ian Kennedy's FIP last year was 4.51. Only one of the last 5 seasons has he seen a FIP below 4.5.

-Ian Kennedy got 5/70.

-Wei Yin Chen got 5/80. It would not have been out of the question for Fister to out-earn Chen had he repeated his 2014 performance. At the very least, his agent would have had the same initial demands as Chen's agent: 5/100. That's what I meant by "a 5/100 guy", really.

That's what happens when the owner plays GM. Truly believe DD's hands are

tied. IMO

I agree with you. It makes it hard to evaluate DD.

The fact he made a trade last deadline when we weren't a very good team AND gave up young pitching makes me doubt him though quite honestly. Not a smart move IMO.

I wonder how many people that are gushing about him have seen him pitch...

Archived