Who is the better fit for the O's? Outfielder

Big O

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd gamble on 1/12.5 of Bruce over 37m for Gonzalez or the what 40M Ether is owed. I'd offer them something like Wright straight up. If they bite great. If not, we're at the same place.

For Bruce, we're talking eating a contract, that's what I'd give up. I don't want to give up any useful player (including Wright). I'm fine with the gamble, though I'd prefer Ethier as I feel we have too much swing and miss in our lineup as it is.

With Ethier, I think you can get the Dodgers to eat a good portion of the contract. Spending money doesn't concern them and they've already ate money on Kemp and others. If you can get them to eat some of the money and give up minimal talent, that's the buy-low target for me.

I don't view Ethier as an everyday player anymore, but he's a great platoon guy. His numbers against RHP are very good and he'd allow the O's to use Reimold vs. LHP. His career .359 OBP is especially interesting to me.

Agreed. Would rather just sign Joyce or Murphy than trade for Bruce. Less money, no trade required.

I still think the smart move, and an end to this offseason is to swing a trade for Ethier and Wood. I will gladly take that team into battle, although I would still say we are not the favorites in the AL East. I do not think there is any move out there that makes us the favorites at this point, but that trade gives us a punchers chance.

2/3 of the OF is still a huge question mark. It's no different than going into the season with De Aza and Snider. Only the names have changed. And that's horrible. I want Jay Bruce. I hope it can happen.

This is true. No way did I expect both De Aza and Snider to struggle as much as they did. Baltimore actually would have done well to keep De Aza as well as he hit for both Boston and San Francisco. The struggles could totally continue. But Bruce is still just as much a question mark.

I still think the smart move, and an end to this offseason is to swing a trade for Ethier and Wood. I will gladly take that team into battle, although I would still say we are not the favorites in the AL East. I do not think there is any move out there that makes us the favorites at this point, but that trade gives us a punchers chance.

I'm on board the Ethier + Wood trade, I like both players as fits. I don't see how it can happen with our prospects however; not for both.

If I suggested Bundy + Mancini I'd be roasted here. And I don't even think LA would take that deal. Both sides would be laughing.

I'm on board the Ethier + Wood trade, I like both players as fits. I don't see how it can happen with our prospects however; not for both.

If I suggested Bundy + Mancini I'd be roasted here. And I don't even think LA would take that deal. Both sides would be laughing.

I think it would all come down to how much of Andre's contract you would be willing to take. If you took it all, then I think we could swing a deal without even giving up that much. I too see those two guys as perfect fits for the Orioles, so i would at least be talking to them about such a deal, which they may well be doing.

I think it would all come down to how much of Andre's contract you would be willing to take. If you took it all, then I think we could swing a deal without even giving up that much. I too see those two guys as perfect fits for the Orioles, so i would at least be talking to them about such a deal, which they may well be doing.

This is a tricky question. Ethier basically has negative value at his price. He's a very good platoon bat, but not being an everyday player makes his $17.5-18M/year contract very, very high for what he is.

As for Wood, he's certainly got value, but how much is offset by Ethier?

The thing that makes this a harder question is the deep pockets of the Dodgers. They've got plenty of money so are they looking to shed cash? Is taking on the salary meaningful enough for the Dodgers to take a lesser package?

There's no doubt that the Dodgers want to move Either before he gets 10/5 rights, but would they be better served to deal him independent of Wood and eat whatever they need to eat to make him a valuable enough commodity to net them a reasonable prospect or two?

Ethier had a 136 OPS+ in 445 PA (142 games). Since he's left handed he's playing the heavy side of the platoon. He was worth 2.9 fWAR last year so it's really a question of whether 2014 is an outlier.

I don't think the Dodgers are looking to dump Wood so I doubt we have the prospects to make that happen.

I've been keen on players coming off a bad year (see Joyce) but when you combine that with age 35 it's a tough proposition. Plus he's a righty and not a good platoon with Reimold, who will probably be better than Rios anyway.

Milb deal w/ invite.

He's a LH bat with a career .795 OPS v RHP.

Archived