Trade Idea...with Cubs

Answerman

One guy that intrigues me is Jorge Soler. Not sure why the Cubs would trade him, but he seems to be in his fair share of trade rumors. He is 23, under cheap contract for five years I believe and loaded with potential.

I would offer Givens, Cisco and Bundy...one immediate upgrade, one future regular and one lottery ticket.

I would possibly add Mancini if needed.

Thoughts.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One guy that intrigues me is Jorge Soler. Not sure why the Cubs would trade him, but he seems to be in his fair share of trade rumors. He is 23, under cheap contract for five years I believe and loaded with potential.

I would offer Givens, Cisco and Bundy...one immediate upgrade, one future regular and one lottery ticket.

Thoughts.

Not sure on that. Don't know anything about him.

Thoughts.

Cubs have perhaps the top catching prospect in baseball right now, still want Schwarber to play some back there. I don't see Cisco as an interesting target for them. Givens, maybe. Bundy, maybe. Mancini, no. He can only play 1B and Rizzo is there for foreseeable future.

I think they'd want Gausman. Maybe something around Britton. Maybe.

Seems like he could progress a bit, but so far hasn't shown too much. I would not gut the system of four of our top 10 prospects just to get maybe a 2 WAR corner OF. If I were going to give up a package of Givens, Cisco, Bundy, and possibly Mancini, I would have to be getting Matt Harvey coming back.

Cubs have perhaps the top catching prospect in baseball right now, still want Schwarber to play some back there. I don't see Cisco as an interesting target for them. Givens, maybe. Bundy, maybe. Mancini, no. He can only play 1B and Rizzo is there for foreseeable future.

It would give them assets/ammunition, though, even if they have guys in those positions, right? Also, what would be wrong with a team having two potentially awesome catchers, especially in the NL where your #2 catcher is even more valuable if he is a strong bench bat?

Trading pitching for Soler would be pretty dumb.

Seems like he could progress a bit, but so far hasn't shown too much. I would not gut the system of four of our top 10 prospects just to get maybe a 2 WAR corner OF. If I were going to give up a package of Givens, Cisco, Bundy, and possibly Mancini, I would have to be getting Matt Harvey coming back.

I'm with you. I don't see much with Soler.

I'm a little concerned about his power. His ISO last season was .137. His career number (which includes his much stronger 2014 numbers) is .165. Ryan Flaherty's career ISO, for reference, is .150.

I really like reading your posts and feel like I learn a lot about the scouting process, prospects around the league, etc. from what you write. That said, I think this is one of those times where you overrate other teams and underrate the O's. I realize that I often have the orange and black glasses on clouding my vision, but sometimes I get the sense that an attempt to be "objective" goes a step too far. Honestly, if Soler were an Oriole, I doubt you would think that he would be able to garner another team's Gausman or Britton on his own. Maybe I'm misreading what you're writing and you think that's what they would want, not necessarily what we should offer.

Again, this is coming from a place of respect and acknowledgement that you know your stuff much more than I do. Objectivity is important and I think the board is better off by having some posters who fall a bit to the left of the line and others who fall a bit to the right, it helps keep things honest. That said, I think you are overrating Soler a bit here and underrating what the O's have.

Just my $0.02.

Thoughts.

What exactly would the Cubs do with Bundy? If he gets traded, he needs to go to a rebuilding team that can hide him. Not to a contender.

It would give them assets/ammunition, though, even if they have guys in those positions, right? Also, what would be wrong with a team having two potentially awesome catchers, especially in the NL where your #2 catcher is even more valuable if he is a strong bench bat?

They arguably already have better secondary options than the guys you are offering up. And they like Soler. Would you trade Schoop for a handful of okay secondary options at positions that are already filled?

I really like reading your posts and feel like I learn a lot about the scouting process, prospects around the league, etc. from what you write. That said, I think this is one of those times where you overrate other teams and underrate the O's. I realize that I often have the orange and black glasses on clouding my vision, but sometimes I get the sense that an attempt to be "objective" goes a step too far. Honestly, if Soler were an Oriole, I doubt you would think that he would be able to garner another team's Gausman or Britton on his own. Maybe I'm misreading what you're writing and you think that's what they would want, not necessarily what we should offer.

Again, this is coming from a place of respect and acknowledgement that you know your stuff much more than I do. Objectivity is important and I think the board is better off by having some posters who fall a bit to the left of the line and others who fall a bit to the right, it helps keep things honest. That said, I think you are overrating Soler a bit here and underrating what the O's have.

Just my $0.02.

I'm not a big Soler guy. I'm telling you what I believe the Cubs would want from Baltimore. I would not trade Gausman for Soler. I'd prefer to use Britton to get something else. As I said, not a huge Soler guy.

The issues are 1) the Cubs don't have to move Soler and 2) other teams are interested in Soler. So you have to offer up something the Cubs want and you have to offer something better than another team is offering.

I'm a little concerned about his power. His ISO last season was .137. His career number (which includes his much stronger 2014 numbers) is .165. Ryan Flaherty's career ISO, for reference, is .150.

Not a big advocate of Soler Power.

Archived