Trade Idea...with Cubs

Answerman

I haven't seen enough of Soler to have a strong opinion. However, we're talking about a physical specimen who just put up a .723 OPS at age 23, in his first full major league season. The upside is huge. His service time gives you 5 years. He OPS'd over .900 in the minors.

I would most certainly consider trading Zach Britton for Jorge Soler. Of course, there are some that don't want to mess with the 81 win team minus their best starting pitcher from last year.

And if the Cubs do entertain Britton for Soler then more is going to be added to Baltimore's side to get it done. But I don't think Soler goes unless it is to fill a long term need with a very good talent -- likely a potential front-end arm.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like he could progress a bit, but so far hasn't shown too much. I would not gut the system of four of our top 10 prospects just to get maybe a 2 WAR corner OF. If I were going to give up a package of Givens, Cisco, Bundy, and possibly Mancini, I would have to be getting Matt Harvey coming back.

Right, so the trade that makes sense is Soler plus another player or two to the Mets for Matt Harvey. O's don't really match up well with either the Cubs or Mets since both teams want Major League ready players and the O's only have bullpen pitchers to trade that are ML ready. The Mets and Cubs still match up better with each other for a trade than almost any other two teams in the league.

Right, so the trade that makes sense is Soler plus another player or two to the Mets for Matt Harvey. O's don't really match up well with either the Cubs or Mets since both teams want Major League ready players and the O's only have bullpen pitchers to trade that are ML ready. The Mets and Cubs still match up better with each other for a trade than almost any other two teams in the league.

Better than 50/50 shot the Cubs make a deal with TB in the next few weeks for their pitcher, be it Cobb or Odorizzi.McGee and Jennings are also possible.

Better than 50/50 shot the Cubs make a deal with TB in the next few weeks for their pitcher, be it Cobb or Odorizzi.McGee and Jennings are also possible.

I wouldn't mind Odorizzi leaving Tampa, but do you think CHN really needs another starter? Seems like they have a competent solution for the number 5 with Warren, Hammel, Wood, or Cahill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Soler, but I think this is a little too much.

What exactly would the Cubs do with Bundy? If he gets traded, he needs to go to a rebuilding team that can hide him. Not to a contender.

They sure found a use for Arrieta. I think Theo would pounce all over this and, naturally, it would work out great for the Cubs.

I like Soler, but I think this is a little too much.

They sure found a use for Arrieta. I think Theo would pounce all over this and, naturally, it would work out great for the Cubs.

Talking two entirely different situations. The Cubs were a noncontender when they acquired Arrieta, who they also sent to the minors for a month.

I wouldn't mind Odorizzi leaving Tampa, but do you think CHN really needs another starter? Seems like they have a competent solution for the number 5 with Warren, Hammel, Wood, or Cahill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of right now the rotatoin is Arrieta,Lester,Lackey,Hendricks,Hammel. Odorizzi would likely move Lackey down to the 4 spot and Hammel completely out of the rotation.

Trey Mancini is going to be a solid hitter in the majors. I dont know where he would play for us now with Davis signed for 7 years. I hear from a ton of minor leagues that Mancini is the real deal.Dont trade Mancini.

I agree Roy and I dont think the Orioles will make that mistake. Keep Mancini and if he continues to rake the Orioles will have a good problem. Davis can eventually move to DH if nothing else.

One guy that intrigues me is Jorge Soler. Not sure why the Cubs would trade him, but he seems to be in his fair share of trade rumors. He is 23, under cheap contract for five years I believe and loaded with potential.

I would offer Givens, Cisco and Bundy...one immediate upgrade, one future regular and one lottery ticket.

I would possibly add Mancini if needed.

Thoughts.

Wow, all of that for Soler, still an unproven prospect. Do you work in CHC front office?

Wow, all of that for Soler, still an unproven prospect. Do you work in CHC front office?

Some folks do not see Soler as having much upside. He might be special, but many folks think he is what we see now. Of course some folks did not see Adam Jones as special. Or see Jon Schoop as special.

It's less about the aggregate quality of the package and more about giving the Cubs nothing they are looking for in exchange for a player other teams want and Chicago doesn't have to move. It just doesn't make any sense for the Cubs.

IMO, if the Cubs trade Soler it will be for an established starting pitcher in a trade that would include Hendricks. The Cubs showed no confidence in Kyle during the playoffs warming up relievers in any inning he gave up more than one hit or walk. Kyle has solid stats but is a soft tosser. He could be an excellent 4/5 starter on a team with patience. … but the Cubs are trying to win now.

I can't see trading Bundy. He is still the Orioles #1 prospect. If they look to trade him it is a red flag to other teams. … and he has so many of those already. He could still be a star. I'd like the O's to use him as a starter this year but limit him to 50-60 innings per game at least through June.

Castillo (Cubs) is a much better catching prospect than Cisco right now. Patience is needed with Cisco. Let him stay at Bowie to allow his glove to catch up with his bat and hopefully he'll surprise us with more power too!

To summarize, this is a trade I do not believe the Cubs would consider

Archived