Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

We can't answer the question about who will be our 5th starter when we don't have a real 3rd or 4th starter.

Tillman, Jimenez, Gallardo, and Gausman are all third starters or better on 80% of the teams. And in the National League they would all shine.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman, Jimenez, Gallardo, and Gausman are all third starters or better on 80% of the teams. And in the National League they would all shine.

That's strange - I didn't see any smileys. :scratchchinhmm:

Gausman is the only one who could legitimately considered a 3rd starter or better, imo.

Gausman is the only one who could legitimately considered a 3rd starter or better, imo.

What has Gausman done to merit third starter status? He has the potential to be more than that, of course, but he hasn't proven himself yet.

By the way, barring injury or a trade for a significant proven starter, the starting rotation will be (in no particular order) Tillman, Gallardo, Gausman, Ubaldo and Gonzalez. Miggy will get his chance, no matter how poorly he does in spring training (although it is possible that the Orioles could option him to Norfolk to start the season while they don't really need a 5th starter yet to get the work). Neither Wright nor Wilson will start the season in the rotation. They are not ready for that just yet and they belong in Triple A for the time being.

1. M. Stroman

2. M. Estrada

3. R. Dickey

4. J. Happ

5. A. Sanchez

1. M. Tanaka

2. M. Pineda

3. N. Eovaldi

4. L. Severino

5. C. Sabathia

1. S. Gray

2. J. Hahn

3. K. Graveman

4. C. Bassitt

5. R. Hill

1. J. Hellickson

2. C. Morton

3. A. Nola

4. J. Eickhoff

5. V. Velasquez

1. G. Richards

2. C. Wilson*

3. J. Weaver*

4. A. Heaney

5. M. Shoemaker

6. H. Santiago

7. N. Tropeano

ROTATION

1. J. Teheran

2. B. Norris

3. M. Wisler

4. M. Banuelos

5. W. Perez

1. M. Scherzer

2. S. Strasburg

3. G. Gonzalez

4. T. Roark

5. J. Ross

1. C. Sale

2. J. Quintana

3. C. Rodon

4. M. Latos

5. J. Danks

1. J. Verlander

2. J. Zimmermann

3. A. Sanchez

4. M. Pelfrey

5. D. Norris

1. P. Hughes

2. E. Santana

3. K. Gibson

4. T. Duffey

5. T. Milone

ROTATION

1. W. Peralta

2. J. Nelson

3. T. Jungmann

4. M. Garza

5. C. Anderson

1. E. Volquez

2. Y. Ventura

3. I. Kennedy

4. C. Young

5. K. Medlen

Miggy will get his chance, no matter how poorly he does in spring training (although it is possible that the Orioles could option him to Norfolk to start the season while they don't really need a 5th starter yet to get the work).

The Orioles play 24 games in 25 days in April. We will certainly need a five man rotation this year in April and I do think it's possible Wilson gets the fifth rotation spot over Gonzalez to start the year. If Gonzo does get that fifth spot, I think he'll be pitching on thin ice. He needs to regain his stuff because he lost it last year and has shown no signs of getting it back yet.

The Orioles play 24 games in 25 days in April. We will certainly need a five man rotation this year in April and I do think it's possible Wilson gets the fifth rotation spot over Gonzalez to start the year. If Gonzo does get that fifth spot, I think he'll be pitching on thin ice. He needs to regain his stuff because he lost it last year and has shown no signs of getting it back yet.

Miggy pitched... better, yesterday. Still a ways to go before the season starts.

ROTATION

1. J. Teheran

2. B. Norris

3. M. Wisler

4. M. Banuelos

5. W. Perez

I'm hoping Folty and Chacin make the Braves rotation. They were hoping Norris would accumulate some trade value, but that ain't happening. And Banuelos is one of those guys who teases with his potential but just doesn't get people out.

o

14 OUTS: 5 Groundouts, 5 Flyouts, 2 Foulouts, 1 Thrown Out Stealing, 1 Picked Off of 1st Base

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ O(vs. PIRATES, 3/23) O[spring Training]

IP:. 4.67

H:;; 6 ll(2 Home Runs, 2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:l) 4

BB: 1 *

SO: 0

Pitches: 71 (48 Strikes, 23 Balls)

* Gonzalez also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (11 Strikes, 7 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 5 Balls)

91 (71 Strikes, 2 Balls)

16 (13 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (51 Strikes, 6 Balls) **

** Gonzalez recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

Archived