Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alternatively, Worley instead of Wright if you must.

Worley's not an exciting alternative, but I'd take him every day over Wright. Wright could be a solid reliever, but he should never be considered for a starting spot, imo.

Worley's not an exciting alternative, but I'd take him every day over Wright. Wright could be a solid reliever, but he should never be considered for a starting spot, imo.

I don't disagree, but at least Wright has stuff compared to Gonzo.

Tillman, Gallardo, Ubaldo, Wright and Wilson to start the season. Gausman for Wright when ready.

Gonzo to AAA.

Alternatively, Worley instead of Wright if you must.

I've often advocated for a "5 and-a-half man" rotation, with one starter whom you expect might have trouble hace another guy right from the bullpen right behind him, always ready to pitch at least 2 or 3 innings out of the bullpen on the specific day of said starter's game.

The way things are looking now, I wouldn't mind seeing the Orioles add a dimension to that concept ....... which would be to have TWO GUYS in the bullpen saved and slated behind 2 out of the 5 starters that you anticipate might struggle more often than not on their starting assignment days. So, you could have Worley and Despaiigne buddying up with 2 out of the 5 starters. That way, it would not necessarily be disastrous to keep Gonzlaez in the rotation as the 5th starter ...... or send Gonzalez down to AAA, and have Wright be the 5th starter.

I've always felt that you can never have too many long-men in your bullpen. You could have 1 primary closer, 1 or 2 short relievers, and as many as 4 or 5 long relievers. If I were Showlater, I would see to it that I had AT LEAST 2 (long relievers) to start the season, and preferably 3.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT O(vs. RED SOX, 3/28) O[spring Training]

IP:. 5

H:;; 4 ll(1 Home Run, 3 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 80 (49 Strikes, 31 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (12 Strikes, 4 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 6 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 9 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

Looks just as good as anyone else to me

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT O(vs. RED SOX, 3/28) O[spring Training]

IP:. 5

H:;; 4 ll(1 Home Run, 3 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 80 (49 Strikes, 31 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (12 Strikes, 4 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 6 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 9 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

Looks just as good as anyone else to me

He did get lucky in the 1st inning.

Just like yesterday, Jimenez had bad luck AND bad defense playing behind him in the 1st inning.

With 2 runners on base and nobody out, Xander Bogaerts hit a hard line drive which Pedro Alvarez caught, and easily doubled off the runner at 1st base.

A foot or two either way, and it could have been an RBI-double with runners at 2nd and 3rd base with nobody out. Instead, there were two outs and only 1 runner on base.

Wright did indeed appear to be pretty stable overall today for 5 innings today against the Red Sox' "A" lineup.

A little bit of command trouble (including 2 walks), but overall he was steady, working himself out of a couple of jams in 2 of the 5 innings that he pitched.

Agreed. Plus, I'll take good stuff with some command over grapefruits thrown with little command (Gonzalez).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wright: "I executed pitches like I’ve never done before. I hope that leaves a really good taste in their mouths." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is a reason Wright and Wilson are not optioned yet.

Archived