Mock Version 4.11 ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like a lot of other draftnicks think that because of signability and his injury that Alvarez could drop to us at 4. Care to handicap that?

The injury isn't career threatening, and Pedro should be back to normal in no time. Salary concerns are always hard to predict, but as I've stated before, the Pirates really need to make a splash, and passing on Alvarez as they did Wieters will cause a deeper rift among the fans.

The percent chance Alvarez falls to pick #4 > 30%.

Great work as usual buddy, but you can drop Hosmer another slot or two because there is no way the Marlins drop somewhere between $3-7 mil to sign any Boras client, let alone Hosmer.

Same thing goes for PIT, KC, and TB on a lesser level since they generally don't deal with Boras, but with KC spending money lately, and TB primed to compete soon, I could see either of them going the Boras route for the best prospect, I still think PIT will take the best player that is signable letting one of the crown jewels drop to us.

Thanks for all the draft work though, it's making this season a little more entertaining.

Great work as usual buddy, but you can drop Hosmer another slot or two because there is no way the Marlins drop somewhere between $3-7 mil to sign any Boras client, let alone Hosmer.

Same thing goes for PIT, KC, and TB on a lesser level since they generally don't deal with Boras, but with KC spending money lately, and TB primed to compete soon, I could see either of them going the Boras route for the best prospect, I still think PIT will take the best player that is signable letting one of the crown jewels drop to us.

Thanks for all the draft work though, it's making this season a little more entertaining.

It's a very real possibility that the financial concerns as regards Boras clients will alter the landscape... it usually does. For now I will wait until more word comes down about the teams that have traditionally avoided the big $ draftees, gauging whether or not there will be any change in philosophy.

Thanks for the kind words... as always. :)

I was wondering when teams can bring players in for private workouts and any pre-deals before the draft?

The draft happens before the season ends. If you watch the CWS, or some of the regionals, you'll see that they will have with the player stats where and to whom he was drafted.

The injury isn't career threatening, and Pedro should be back to normal in no time. Salary concerns are always hard to predict, but as I've stated before, the Pirates really need to make a splash, and passing on Alvarez as they did Wieters will cause a deeper rift among the fans.

The percent chance Alvarez falls to pick #4 > 30%.

I wasn't implying that his injury was serious, but I'm just saying that maybe the injury affects him for a little bit, or it takes him a while to get his timing down, thus making his draft stock down a tick from a "down" season.

I'm happy with > 30% though. Would you agree that we are drafting in a great position? Seems like a drop-off at 5 (with those 1B only guys who need to project as a #4 hitter to make the pick justified).

I'm on the Gordon Beckham bandwagon. I think passing on him would be a mistake. You have moved him all the way to eight, move him up a bit further.;)

I may be alone here, but I think Gordon is an extremely high risk. I don't love his swing (though he is raking now). Much like Frazier last year, he has a bit of a metal-bat swing and will need to make some key adjustments to get rid of his hitch in order to thrive at the higher levels of the minors. Is he a good enough athlete to pull it off? Possibly. He's certainly talented. Would I pass on another "safer" pick just because he is a SS? No way. Alvarez, Beckham, Hosmer, Smoak are all a little cleaner, mechanically, and Matusz/Crow -- and I'll even throw Melville in there -- have higher ceilings and fewer "technical" shortcomings.

As always, just my two-cents.

Greg, if one of Crow, Alvarez, or Beckham falls to the O's, do you think we'd take them over Matusz?

As long as we get Crow, Alvarez, Beckham, Matusz, Smoak or Hosmer, I'll be a happy camper. Haha.

I would agree with this as well. I would imagine that we will pass on Boras clients, though.

Archived