Baseball Prospectus' Top 101 Prospects List Includes Two Orioles

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no real hope for Bundy and it's fading fast with Harvey. That list basically confirms we have a terrible farm system. So sad.

That's why keeping our 14th pick means nothing. These guys have no clue who to draft. This goes back to 2009 when we picked Matt Hobgood at # 5. No other team had him in the top 20 at the time! Zach Wheeler was drafted right after him. Everyone had him in the top 10 and many in the top 5. Nuff said!

Oh, it gets worse if you look back further than 2009.

In 2006 we draft Billy Rowell at number 9 though we got Britton at like 85.

pick 10 was Timothy Lincecum

2005 we draft Brandon Snyder at number 13, Ellsbury goes at 23.

2004 we draft Wade Townsend at number 8, Jered Weaver goes at 12

It gets worse if you look harder. Same is probably true for most teams however.

I certainly think the O's should have known, before they drafted him, that Snyder would end up suffering a shoulder injury that would permanently move him off of Catcher.

The scouts really dropped the ball on that one.

Yes, all teams have misses. My issue is when you have a top 5 pick and you pick a guy that no one had in the top 20 and most did not have in the first round. That can't happen. Now, getting Harvey at 22 was a great job.

Yes, all teams have misses. My issue is when you have a top 5 pick and you pick a guy that no one had in the top 20 and most did not have in the first round. That can't happen. Now, getting Harvey at 22 was a great job.

As much as I disliked the Hobgood pick you have to look at the total picture of the 2009 draft.

The O's spent 8.8 million that draft.

They went signability in the first round to free up money for overslots late.

Then they picked the wrong targets.

I don't think even his biggest fan actually thought Hobgood was a top 5 talent.

I have no real hope for Bundy and it's fading fast with Harvey. That list basically confirms we have a terrible farm system. So sad.

It's one persons opinion. Well know in a few years how good or how bad the current prospects are. Until then, it's all conjecture.

A friend once told me "The only people who think the Orioles far system is any good are the Orioles organization, and their fans". Keep in mind he is no expert on the subject, just an outside observer.

The draft seems to be a crap shoot at times. There is 400 rounds, your drafting high school kids and paying them more money than most people will see in their lives and asking them to make some pretty adult decisions pretty quick. Even the late round picks who are only getting the minimum amount of money are going to have issues. How many times did we all call out of work between 18-21 years old? Sometimes a player may be gifted physically but lack the maturity to handle it.

This was probably a pointless rant, but that's on par for me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

I certainly think the O's should have known, before they drafted him, that Snyder would end up suffering a shoulder injury that would permanently move him off of Catcher.

The scouts really dropped the ball on that one.

Snyder never really showed any potential with the bat once he reached AAA. I think if Snyder had stuck at Catcher, his career probably wouldnt have been much different.

Snyder never really showed any potential with the bat once he reached AAA. I think if Snyder had stuck at Catcher, his career probably wouldnt have been much different.

First off there is no telling how much impact the injury had on his offense.

Secondly the offensive bar for catcher is a lot lower.

Even as a CI/PH he manged to play parts of four seasons in the majors. I bet a .685 OPS gets you a decently long career if you can catch.

Archived