Baseball Prospectus' Top 101 Prospects List Includes Two Orioles

PressBoxOnline

Oh, it gets worse if you look back further than 2009.

In 2006 we draft Billy Rowell at number 9 though we got Britton at like 85.

pick 10 was Timothy Lincecum

2005 we draft Brandon Snyder at number 13, Ellsbury goes at 23.

2004 we draft Wade Townsend at number 8, Jered Weaver goes at 12

It gets worse if you look harder. Same is probably true for most teams however.

That's just the MLB draft. Like COC mentioned about Snyder hurting his shoulder. He mashed early on in his career. Townsend was an idiot that didn't want to sign then got hurt. You can go through the whole draft and every team can say they missed on guys. The mlb draft is a crapshoot.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aaron Judge (Yankees Prospect) put up a .777 OPS between AA and AAA at Age 23. He is listed at 6'7, 275 LB OF/DH. Sounds like a DH to me. He K'd 144 times in 124 games. My question, with minor league #'s comparable to Christian Walker how is this guy the no. 18 prospect in baseball?

Huge power potential for one.

MLB 100 top prospects list only includes Harvey at 85. Though they do have Josh Hader at 61...lol

Although scouting opinions vary widely on Hader, I'd be very excited to have him in our system. He has developed very nicely.

We really need for Bundy and Harvey to come through, having resisted trading them while dealing EdRod, Hader, Davies and others.

Although scouting opinions vary widely on Hader, I'd be very excited to have him in our system. He has developed very nicely.

We really need for Bundy and Harvey to come through, having resisted trading them while dealing EdRod, Hader, Davies and others.

It would be nice. Man, when I think of the hype regarding Dylan, it makes me sad. Hopefully, they can become effective big league pitchers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why keeping our 14th pick means nothing. These guys have no clue who to draft. This goes back to 2009 when we picked Matt Hobgood at # 5. No other team had him in the top 20 at the time! Zach Wheeler was drafted right after him. Everyone had him in the top 10 and many in the top 5. Nuff said!

It only takes one pick to draft a player like Machado or Markakis who changes the face of the franchise. Nuff said!

The Angels farm system lacks high end talent, writes Jeff Fletcher of the OC Register. No Angels were listed among the top 100 or 101 prospects on MLB.com or Baseball Prospectus. They did enter the offseason with one player who would have drawn consideration – Sean Newcomb. He was ranked 21st by MLB.com and 32nd by Baseball Prospectus. The Halos dealt Newcomb as part of the Andrelton Simmons trade. As Fletcher writes, the Angels system probably explains why they didn’t land any top talent at the 2015 trade deadline. For example, Yoenis Cespedes returned Michael Fulmer (53rd per MLB.com) and Luis Cessa. L.A. simply lacked the fire power for a move.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28360

Both Sisco and Reyes were named in today's followup on 10 who just missed the overall Top 101.

It said Reyes would have been a lock with a 3B projection, but he's simply too big of a homo sapien to stick there.

And Sisco, who was on the list last year, didn't do anything to play himself off with the bat. Catcher defense takes a long time to build and the report was he could remain in prospect lists another 2-3 years, even with some AA experience already, polishing the defense. If he has a good year and Wieters extends or CJ looks again like a starter you are okay with for a few years, I could imagine his 2017 spring resembling Markakis's 2006. His athleticism and arm strength were praised, so that makes me think he could handle RF.

My sense is that Sisco made some progress with his defense in the second half of the season. He only had one error and one passed ball in 17 games at Bowie, and threw out 10 of 25 runners (40%) who attempted to steal. At Frederick, he began the year by throwing out only 3 of 37 runners (8%) in his first 20 games caught. After that, he threw out 12 of 37 (32%) in his final 36 games behind the plate at Frederick.

Of course, that says nothing about his pitch framing, game calling, etc. But at least it seems he is working to improve his defense.

Archived