The Pessimistic View

Orange

Walkout Protest!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WATCH: Liverpool fans stage walkout protest, team gives up 2-goal lead in their absence: <a href="https://t.co/1kOTvuyGx6">https://t.co/1kOTvuyGx6</a> <a href="https://t.co/PJafvmx6An">pic.twitter.com/PJafvmx6An</a></p>— Planet F?tbol (@si_soccer) <a href="

">February 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry' date=' I guess I was comparing the team at the end of the season and not all season[/quote']

No need to be sorry. But running Bud out there instead of someone else all season definitely hurt that club. And the 9 game losing streak killed it.

I am not sure I believe that because a group of players wins 81 games in one season that it necessarily means they are an "81 win team" the next season.

The playoff roster in 2014 had an infield that did not include Chris Davis or Manny Machado but did include Kelly Johnson and Steve Pearce. That playoff roster had Nick Hundley and Caleb Joseph as catchers and this year's team has Matt Wieters and Caleb Joseph. Does it mean that Kelly Johnson, Steve Pearce, Alejandro DeAza, David Lough, Nick Hundley, Tommy Hunter, Bud Norris were 97 win team players? Should we seek to get them all back for 2016?

Each season is its own entity and players progress, regress, have career years, get hurt, get replaced. As has been noted, it is likely if the pitchers pitch to their capabilities, we will do very well- in fact, we will likely win as many games as we did in 2014.

I thought he made good points.

I haven't felt this unenthused about the team since before 2012. So maybe I'll be wrong again and we will win 96.

One thing different from 2012 is that there's not much upside left in a lot of guys unlike projecting for 2012. The backend rotation pieces aren't exciting and pretty much everyone else is a known quantity but one year older. Feels like a team that won 81 and will regress.

Looking forward to Schoop this year though.

In October signing 3 of the O's top free agents seem unlikely. I didn't think that the O's would come close to offering Davis 7/161m. Signing O'Day for 4 years at age 33 didn't seem likely. 4/31? No one had accepted a Quality Offer before this season and Wieters with Boras as his agent looked distant for a multi year contract elsewhere.

So keeping the team together is kind of surprising to me when I look back at where the O's were. Letting guys go to free agency instead of signing them before they hit FA seemed like a bad bet for the O's. But they back and the chance to contend is still within their reach is health permits.

Archived