The Realist's View

weams

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2008 Orioles were 1st in number of walks allowed, and 30th in strikeouts.

Which I think we can all agree is the ideal combination. ;)

I doubt many teams in the history of baseball can claim they've done that. (Not that they'd want to claim they've done that :D)

If the 2008 Orioles had an entirely different and better pitching staff, they would have won the pennant.

Oh, what might have been with a little tweaking.

Fixed that for you!

You look at the names on that staff, and it's pathetic. Poor Guthrie really had no help at all.

Fixed that for you!

You look at the names on that staff, and it's pathetic. Poor Guthrie really had no help at all.

On either side of the game (from his fellow starting pitchers OR from his offense when he took the mound.)

Talk about a cross to bear.

On either side of the game (from his fellow starting pitchers OR from his offense when he took the mound.)

Talk about a cross to bear.

Someone, not me, needs to find some links to posts from Guthrie's time here saying "after a while the pitcher has to take some responsibliity for run support." They exist.

If Reimold is anything more than a bench option we may as well fax something over to the commissioners office saying we forfeit our postseason eligibility.

We're in the same exact position as last year and they still haven't learned.

We are in a very similar position to last year, agreed. Still, some years the breaks go your way. Some years Nate McLouth or Steve Pearce come from nowhere to be key pieces for your team for a year or two. I'm not saying Reimold will be that guy, but it wouldn't shock me if he was.

We are in a very similar position to last year, agreed. Still, some years the breaks go your way. Some years Nate McLouth or Steve Pearce come from nowhere to be key pieces for your team for a year or two. I'm not saying Reimold will be that guy, but it wouldn't shock me if he was.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Reimold could have that one magical year where he stays healthy, gets off to a good start and has a very decent year.

I just think its not a real good plan to have to rely on that. Especially given some of the question marks in the SP.

If they can't address the SP then they should solidify the lineup and RF, if they can't get a RF then they need to find a SP. Leaving both up to chance seems to be tempting fate a little to much for my liking. Not saying they need a star caliber guy at either spot, just a solid, consistent pro.

There are now at least 4 mentions of Reimold as a potential solution in RF over in the "Rosenthal:..." thread.

"The Hope Springs Eternal Express now leaving Realism Land... next stop, Spring Training LaLa Land..."

I don't think it's unreasonable for Reimold the be the RH bat in a RF platoon and play maybe 60 G.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Reimold the be the RH bat in a RF platoon and play maybe 60 G.

I could see that if the other half of the platoon was someone with some history of reliability.

Its not a half bad solution but if you go this approach, I do feel you have to find at least a guy who can eat innings for the 5th rotation spot.

I could see that if the other half of the platoon was someone with some history of reliability.

Its not a half bad solution but if you go this approach, I do feel you have to find at least a guy who can eat innings for the 5th rotation spot.

.278 .341 .454 .795 Career v RHP? http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=murphda07&year=Career&t=b

They started out in bench roles until their play forced them into regular playing time. Putting Reimold in that role is fine. Relying on an injury prone 32 year old who may or may not be able to hit is not what teams planning to be good do.

McLouth debuted for the Orioles on 4 August 2012, and that month made 24 appearances and 22 starts, including 10 consecutive starts batting 3rd in the order. He was a regular, and an important regular, almost from the day he came to Baltimore.

Archived